Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 543, 544, 545 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
augustwillo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Well, yesterday was a very special day for us. Woke up at 2am to my wife starting labor with our then unborn son. Packed up the van, and drove like hell, while my wife was on the floor in the back. We made it to the parking lot of the birthing center at 2:28am, jumped out and opened the sliding door and the midwife caught our son at 3am. It was a surreal moment, and so thankful we had a van to allow the space for such a birth.

All is well, both baby and mom are healthy. And we are never selling the van. haha. However, I am now having some transmission issues. I think the gear oil is mixing with my tranny atf. On to the next thread.

August
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

augustwillo wrote:
Well, yesterday was a very special day for us. Woke up at 2am to my wife starting labor with our then unborn son. Packed up the van, and drove like hell, while my wife was on the floor in the back. We made it to the parking lot of the birthing center at 2:28am, jumped out and opened the sliding door and the midwife caught our son at 3am. It was a surreal moment, and so thankful we had a van to allow the space for such a birth.

All is well, both baby and mom are healthy. And we are never selling the van. haha. However, I am now having some transmission issues. I think the gear oil is mixing with my tranny atf. On to the next thread.

August

Congratulations to all three of you (four of you?) on the successful birth!! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

augustwillo wrote:

August

Wow!! That is quite the story!

Congratulations
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Last weekend: replaced (both) brake light switches. Had to do it twice- one was defective and leaked.

Yesterday: Expedient repair of melted dual 20 amp fuse holder behind D-pillar for A/C fans.
Topped off refrigerant w/ can from FLAPS. So far, so good!

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Oil breather tower oRing had been indicating a problem, removed, cleaned, new oRing and tube to intake boot. 306k mi and spinning up!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Last edited by bobbyblack on Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Oil breather tower oRing had been indicating a problem, removed, cleaned, new oRing and tube to intake boot. 309k mi and spinning up!!

[/img]
Yep, that O-ring looks a bit past its Sell By Date.... Wink Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Pulled the Water Pump Pulley off, extracted the old High Pressure Oil Switch, put anti-sieze on the threads of the new Switch, cleaned up in and around the area behind the Water Pump and installed the Switch. Replaced the wiring to both switches and cleaned up.

Gettin' geared up for a late September Road Trip.

Dan
BrownEye02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

shadetreemech wrote:
Pulled the Water Pump Pulley off, extracted the old High Pressure Oil Switch, put anti-sieze on the threads of the new Switch, cleaned up in and around the area behind the Water Pump and installed the Switch. Replaced the wiring to both switches and cleaned up.

Me too!!! I didn't go as far as you did with the clean up part though. Very Happy
Still chaseing oil pressure issues though. :/ Have a Mann filter and oil pressure releaf spring on the way from Van Cafe. If this doesn't do the trick then I'm probably stairing at low oil pressure after warm up. Crying or Very sad
gchristensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

well I blew my aaz engine. connecting rod at the oil pump end through the block. nice big hole. stripped that engine down and building up my other long block
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

gchristensen wrote:
well I blew my aaz engine. connecting rod at the oil pump end through the block. nice big hole. stripped that engine down and building up my other long block
Sorry to hear that.
Any warning like a days long , or weeks long slight noise before the rod went flying, or was it totally out of the blue.? Crying or Very sad
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Lowered the van suspension today. And for dirt cheap!

Before:

After:

Red Konis? GoWesty lowering springs? Low-profile tires on 20" spinners? No sir.

Pro-tip: finetune the Westy Lean adjustment by using a box on the passenger side. Allows you to pour one cup of gravel at a time for a perfectly balanced riding height.

Hauled two loads of asphalt, one of 700 kg and one of 800 kg. I love my van.
Landojin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Diagnosed a high idle (2,000 - 2,500 rpm) that showed up while the van was warm and in park. Using the Bentley manual, discovered that the Idle Air Control Valve was causing the problem. Rather than replacing it, I tried cleaning it out as recommended by GoWesty and the problem seems to be solved (for now)!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

307k mi, oil/filter. Put in 4Q, started, checked dip stick. Showed 1/3 up from lower notch. Added 1/2q, dipstick shows over top mark by a few mm. Confusing.
gchristensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

no indication was seen just a quick fail.
BrownEye02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed the Van Cafe aftermarket oil pressure relief spring.

Besides replacing the oil pump I'm out of options. Gonna get an oil gauge to confirm what everything is pointing to. Anyone able to point me to the nearest oil pressure witch doctor..... Very Happy Very Happy Confused Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

BrownEye02 wrote:
Installed the Van Cafe aftermarket oil pressure relief spring.

Besides replacing the oil pump I'm out of options. Gonna get an oil gauge to confirm what everything is pointing to. Anyone able to point me to the nearest oil pressure witch doctor..... Very Happy Very Happy Confused Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

You've probably seen this, but tencentlife's post 6 down in this thread is chapter and verse on oil pressure testing.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251094
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

When I bought my '88 Westy it was missing the tin over the pushrod tubes. Bought a set of tencentlife's pushrod tube shields:

https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/pushrod-tube-shields/

Clips hang on the tubes -

Shields bolt to the clips -
Passenger Side

Driver side

Easy peasy.

Dan
175grams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally finished my DIY tables. Got a few planks of teak to make the tables. Also had a to fashion my own base poles. I think it turned out pretty nice, eh?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^Nice!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
erf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got my new wheels and tires on, from a Touareg, had to have them bored out to fit. Waiting on axel nut wrengh so I can replace the studs in the real, about a quart inch or so short. Have out side of the poptop claned, next the inside.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 543, 544, 545 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 544 of 630

Jump to: