Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 547, 548, 549 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcarlson_sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Also, my wife and I both have a hobby of retro electronics.
I do a lot with early computers. She's into LED art.

We took a look at the film circuit board when we had the cluster out.
My wife wants to design a replacement PCB that can be sent away and fabricated for a few dollars.

She measured the resistors and mapped out the traces this afternoon.
Making a cheap replacement should be fun.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

"My wife wants to design a replacement PCB that can be sent away and fabricated for a few dollars.

She measured the resistors and mapped out the traces this afternoon.
Making a cheap replacement should be fun."

^^ A worthwhile project. I've been keeping an eye on these if the need should arise:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2367183
(See link to FB page)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1913691

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got the replacement windshield installed after encountering a rock on our road trip a coupla weeks ago:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=744529&highlight=rubber

The insurance company pointed me to the national franchise, "Replace-Deface". After 3 cancellations and "Bring it in and leave it", I told 'em to take a hike and found a local guy in Ontario, Calif. I bought the seal from VanCafe (RMW), windshield installed while I waited, $205 out the door.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

We picked up a beautiful as-new ARB side tent from some lovely Sambanistas in our local town...super excited, they've been out of stock forever at GoWesty so a lucky find for us!

Now I just need to finish a van to attach it to.

I got no van to drive, but MAN do I got a massive pile of van parts!!! Smile
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I upgraded my Rocky Mountain Westy swing-away tire carrier with their "switch back upper rack" and the lower shelf. This allowed me to move my spare up higher to allow for the tray. My tray now holds my suitcase generator, two FuelPax 3.5 gallon cans and my tool kit. I still have my Trasharoo "clone" on the spare with a few molle attachment bags. Trying to make the most of the space while keeping everything gas related outside of the van.

Before:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After: Note the fading of the "trasharoo"

A locking cable goes through the handles of both the generator and tool kit and routes through the Westy cutout of the tray, which allows for the cover to fit over both

The generously sized weatherproof generator cover fits over both the generator and tool kit

And a ratchet strap to hold it all in nice and tight, plus a cable and lock for the cans

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

epbiggs wrote:

What kind of lift assists do you have on your pop-top?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
epbiggs wrote:

What kind of lift assists do you have on your pop-top?

Jack Bombay struts in the back and GoWesty HD struts in the front.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcarlson_sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I'm slowly going around the van and replacing all the seals.
Yesterday was the rear hatch. Easy and fast
mcarlson_sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Today was cleaning.

I removed the body panel that covers the sliding door mechanism (possibly for the first time since 1980).
I sprayed out the accumulated gunk with Simple Green, wiped years worth of built up crud off the mechanism and channel, and used a little silicone grease to lube the rail.
The door now slides smoothly.

I finally fixed the windshield wipers (blown fuse)
Then found and filled the windshield wiper fluid (seems like I would have done that at least once in the last four years, but hey - better late than never)
That allowed me to adjust aim of the jets to actually hit the windshield rather spray up in the air like fountains.

Finally I covered the driveway with cardboard and some sacrificial rags then sprayed the engine and transmission with Simple Green and carefully rinsed it with a hose. It's been covered in a thick layer of grime as long as we've owned it.
I've mostly left it alone until now. However, the more time I spend under the van the more I want to avoid chunks of grime falling in my face and mouth.
That, and if there are leaks I want to find and fix them.

I've been trying to do a little each day. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Just oil and filter change today. Tomorrow is new turn signal lens for both fronts. I have a crack in the drivers side that started taking out the new bulb socket I installed 2 years ago. Only discovered the corrosion and rust when I needed to tap into the turn signals and park bulb circuit for the new headlights I just installed. So I bought 2 new lens to match , and new sockets since the lens come with the European single bulb set-up.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

mcarlson_sb wrote:
Today was cleaning.......Finally I covered the driveway with cardboard and some sacrificial rags then sprayed the engine and transmission with Simple Green and carefully rinsed it with a hose. It's been covered in a thick layer of grime as long as we've owned it.
I've mostly left it alone until now. However, the more time I spend under the van the more I want to avoid chunks of grime falling in my face and mouth.
That, and if there are leaks I want to find and fix them.

I've been trying to do a little each day. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

How did the simple green treatment work? Lets see the engine!
mcarlson_sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:

How did the simple green treatment work? Lets see the engine!

It's still ugly dirty. It's just less ugly dirty.
I wish I'd taken a before picture - then an after would at least look like I did something
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Cleaned my engine grounds. Upon tightening the transaxle ground cable, I found the hole was stripped. So drilled and tapped it to m10.

In the engine bay one of the small ground cables showed a lot of corrosion. Cut and put an open barrel ring terminal on it.

My 1.9L no longer stalls at idle during cold. Damn why didn't I do this sooner.

Edit: I actually did this like 4 years ago. This time I used dielectric grease
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added some skateboard grip tape to the rear table leg clamp, to help keep it from moving around while driving. Worked out very well, simple, effective. No longer do I need to use Hulk strength to tighten the knob. Laughing

Before:

After:
mcarlson_sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

New 3d printed drawer sorter. We used the spool of bright green transparent PLA because "what else would you use it for?!?"
This is version 1.0 and the walls are pretty thin. If they end up breaking we'll print it with thicker walls for v2

(older mods that are visible in the picture)
The switches you can see are:
- route solar to either the aux or main battery
- turn on over kitchen led lights
And a homemade battery level indicator for the starter battery.
The stock one on the panel is routed to the aux batteries

I've also installed an inexpensive dash cam.
Since I've been driving around in the van more I've had several times where police run my plates and follow me. Adding a $25 digital dash cam seems like a very reasonable upgrade.

Cheers,
Matthew
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

finished interior front part

fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

What year is the van and what materials groups are those? Carpet, floor, door panels, etc. Looks sharp!
mcarlson_sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

My clean(er) engine

The air cooled engine after being sprayed down with Simple Green and a light ri se with the garden hose. I didn't use a brush or anything that would have really cleaned it. Just a minimal job to get the worst off.
It was all covered in years and years worth of oil and grime.
Now I can at least see where one part end and the next starts

Cheers,
Matthew
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Already looks less dusty than mine, any day of the year... (d@mn forest roads...) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Rolling Eyes Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I purchased a Verizon 8800L MiFi off eBay which gives me unlimited data with no throttling and no caps (it has special "mojo"!). This gives me the ability to stream video (assuming I have a decent cell signal), so I thought I'd get a Roku unit for my existing TV. While I was at it, since my 12V TV only has one HDMI input, I added a small HDMI switch so I can switch between the RoKu and my laptop by simply pushing a button. Since my existing broadcast antenna and the RoKu both need USB power and the TV only has one USB port, I also added a tiny USB hub which I already had. It's all semi-neatly mounted on the back of the TV and is hidden from view. It worked out really well. The TV speakers suck, as is to be expected, so I've routed the audio to a small Anker speaker, which has way better quality. I have a decent movie collection on an external hard drive for when I don't have cell coverage. I know many of you will question why I want that many entertainment options in a camper when I should be enjoying nature, but I will be moving into the van full-time in January and will want some "home comforts", plus I'm just sort of a geek that way. Although most of my time will be spent hiking through the high mountain forests and desert (depending on time of the year) taking pictures and making videos, I'll still want to keep up with the news and "Netflix & Chill". Plus I'll be uploading videos to YouTube and don't really want to depend on Starbucks, McDonald's, etc. for WiFi, although I do have an external, amplified WiFi antenna and router just in case. Next is probably a cell booster antenna, but that's another post.
Note the MiFi velcro'd next to the cup holder above some charging ports in the above image. The TV is hardwired and is controlled by a switch, which also activates the USB ports, a 12v port and a voltmeter.

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 547, 548, 549 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 548 of 630

Jump to: