Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 554, 555, 556 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Put Vanagon in garage at 12:45 AM after a less than stellar trip back East from CO. Headwind on 76 was brutal, and 80 was not much better. Afterburner was pumping heat to add to the marginal engine heat, as temps kept dropping. Reached -7F by home. I had to put my Carhartts suit on, and Mrs. Black had to bundle up in all the winter camping bags in back. Full blast front and rear blowers, and CDH couldn't keep up. This AM was -17F, so I left the Westy in the garage.

Good to be home!

I'm sorry I missed your gig and glad you made it back home in one piece!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OldSpice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added magnet strip to sink area

Master Magnetics Adhesive Magnets... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IYFOAWM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Put Vanagon in garage at 12:45 AM after a less than stellar trip back East from CO. Headwind on 76 was brutal, and 80 was not much better. Afterburner was pumping heat to add to the marginal engine heat, as temps kept dropping. Reached -7F by home. I had to put my Carhartts suit on, and Mrs. Black had to bundle up in all the winter camping bags in back. Full blast front and rear blowers, and CDH couldn't keep up. This AM was -17F, so I left the Westy in the garage.

Good to be home!

Wait!
76 and 80 and you didn't swing by to say Hi?
Sheesh!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

it was a very welcome warm 53F today, but the snows of the past several storms are still rather deep. i shoveled the top 5-6 inches of snow around the Westy's slider and made a spot for the solo stove. with the snow cleared away, i opened the slider, reached in and turned on the stereo. i recently added several albums to the USB stick and cued up the first of those, Pitch Black "Futureproof", Black CD. https://www.discogs.com/Pitch-Black-Futureproof/release/66586 the first track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxA1vYGuwDQ

i set the solo stove up and grabbed fire wood from the garage. i set about splitting some kindling out of the wood with the hatchet i keep in the Westy. the solo stove allows fires to be built up rather quickly. i had 6 or 7 pieces of split kindling, a piece of torn up newspaper, and a lighter. with one light of the paper, the kindling was quickly burning and then i added some of the larger kindling. after setting up my camp chair, i pulled a 2SP Up & Out IPA from the fridge. the fire was growing quickly and was ready for the addition of a large chunk of wood.

i popped the top on the IPA and sat back as dubbed out deep acid grooves seemed to set the flames dancing. the evening trains from Center City passed a few yards from me, the cars mostly empty in both directions. i looked up at the darkening sky as stars began to push thru the last moments of day. the air quickly cooled and i leaned toward the warmth of the fire.

i love my Westy.

BiWerks Design, LLC

Last edited by dabaron on Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Here I am all excited to install an engine and you're living like a bum along the railroad tracks!
Pork and beans for dinner?
Sounds nice though, it was a beautiful day!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Here I am all excited to install an engine and you're living like a bum along the railroad tracks!
Pork and beans for dinner?
Sounds nice though, it was a beautiful day!

we had chinese take out. it was delicious. it was a beautiful evening for sure.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added USB ports so they are accessible from the lower bunk and the upper bunk. They can be switched on/off. Also added a potentiometer to allow the main galley light to be dimmed.

Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

E-codes! And all new adjusters!

Gonna aim them tonight, but they seem a great deal brighter already. I’m excited to not be nervous to drive at night.

I already had relays and 80/100w bulbs, but the low beams just did not inspire confidence. Hopefully this changes that
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Have you tried adjusting the adjustors, I've put a few sets in and I can't get the screw to turn?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carls2u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Washed and spiffed her up after a muddy day yesterday. Popped the top for some dry time inside. What a beautiful day in the PNW.

Can’t wait to go out on a nice dry spring weekend.
And eternity in an hour.
'86 Westy
Mikesarge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
Have you tried adjusting the adjustors, I've put a few sets in and I can't get the screw to turn?

Stacy

Read your post which reminded me to do the adjustment before it gets too late to annoy the neighbors with an idling van.

They adjust.

They’re remarkably bright with great cutoff.

Worth every penny!
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

After having dealt with less than quality relays from Amazon (i.e. cheap Chinese units) and having them all fail in one way or another, I was finally able to source what I believe to be a superior unit.

I needed a high current relay to place between my start battery and DC to DC charger so that I can completely isolate the two batteries while the engine is off and shore power is connected.

I purchased this high current 12v relay from my local BMW shop. It is used in many different models as a cooling fan relay. Rated to 150 amps. Fully sealed in epoxy, so very water/dirt proof. These are mounted under the hood, or behind the fender liners typically. It is actually made by “TE connectivity”, a very well known and often used supplier for automotive electronics. Made in Portugal.

I was able to match up a connector for the 12v control side of the relay as well. I bought a multi pack of generic 2 pin connectors from amazon a while back, and I recalled them having a similar shape to the relay connector. They turned out to be a perfect match!

Time will tell as to how well this unit holds up, but I have much more confidence in this relay than the previous cheap models.

As of writing this, the relay is very reasonably priced at around $18. I also ordered the corresponding lock nuts for a nice secure fitment. Those were ~$0.60 each.

BMW relay p/n: 61 36 7 661 593
M6 lock nuts: 07 11 9 905 128

Link to the connectors for the control side.
https://www.amazon.com/MUYI-Waterproof-Connector-1-5mm-Terminal/dp/B01A6LTK44

2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Changed oil and filter back to my 3 season regular 10w-40 Castrol and finally installed Phil B.’s amazing rebuilt throttle for the Vanagon. Adjust idle speed once warmed up to get it dialed in with my Automatic Transmission, in gear, like in Traffic.
A few new pieces of vacuum hose to replace the worn parts found during removal of my old throttle.
Test drove, idle return is faster than before. It was never really bad. but the rebuilt Throttle is obviously smoother in transition back down to idle with a smooth bore and matching new plate.
Highway, cruising at usual high speeds is now different slightly, again due to an accurate throttle instead of a worn one with various low spots and worn points in it.
All in all, a nice job to put behind me.

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Changed oil and filter back to my 3 season regular 10w-40 Castrol and finally installed Phil B.’s amazing rebuilt throttle for the Vanagon. Adjust idle speed once warmed up to get it dialed in with my Automatic Transmission, in gear, like in Traffic.
A few new pieces of vacuum hose to replace the worn parts found during removal of my old throttle.
Test drove, idle return is faster than before. It was never really bad. but the rebuilt Throttle is obviously smoother in transition back down to idle with a smooth bore and matching new plate.
Highway, cruising at usual high speeds is now different slightly, again due to an accurate throttle instead of a worn one with various low spots and worn points in it.

Who is Phil B ?
Do you have a link or other contact information?

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
CoffeeToaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Chasing down a dead radio.
Found that the front blower fuse pops when the radio is on and the front blower fan is on as well. New fuse and have radio or fan, but not both.

Seems to be a new gremlin as both have surely been on at the same time before.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

Who is Phil B ?
Do you have a link or other contact information?

Dave
whip618 here on Samba. I don’t see a current ad for him in the Classifieds, but he’s been a member for awhile.
Now I need to send him my other throttle so I have a rebuilt spare.

I had saved this photo in my gallery when the rebuilt unit arrived from him .
Below is a pasted post from an older thread on rebuilt throttle assemblies:::::::::::

(Thanks for the positive feedback on the throttle bodies. These are very labor intensive to rebuild and I strive to make them as accurate and reliable as I can.

The rebuilds are also available in the 1.9 single switch model and the 1.9 double switch.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307)
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto

Last edited by jlrftype7 on Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Pulled the transaxle with my boy. First for both of us.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

CoffeeToaster wrote:
Chasing down a dead radio.
Found that the front blower fuse pops when the radio is on and the front blower fan is on as well. New fuse and have radio or fan, but not both.

Seems to be a new gremlin as both have surely been on at the same time before.

Very likely your blower motor is on the verge of seizing up...search "Mullendore port".

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

been TWO hours cleaning the floor.. my dog brings in all the sand and mud Sad

any tip about this issue?

I just bought this

should help me to clean next time
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I used those interlocking foam mats from the hardware store with the seams foil-taped on the backside so it can be removed as a unit for cleaning.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 554, 555, 556 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 555 of 629

Jump to: