Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 555, 556, 557 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
I used those interlocking foam mats from the hardware store with the seams foil-taped on the backside so it can be removed as a unit for cleaning.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

also thought about that
thanks!
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally addressed my non-op E-Brake issue.

Did a "Title Only" search for "Emergency Brake" and found what I was looking for:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Turns out I had the adjusting rods on both rear wheels inside out. I flipped both rods and, Voila!, E-Brake works now.

Happy Trails & Be Safe

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d_walküre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I received my radiator fan resistor from Vancafe today and got the slow speed to finally work. The quality of this resistor is top notch! Factory style plug made fitment a breeze.

Link

1987 Vanagon GL Syncro SVX NAHT "Valkyrie"
1993 Eurovan Weekender "Camper van Beethoven"
1959 Bug
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Built a Libby Bong out of stuff I had and bled the cooling system.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I drove it!

For the first time ever!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I drove it!

For the first time ever!

Dave
. Still running hot or have you solved that issue???
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

It was an air pocket.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Well, Not sure it was me doing something, or just time something would be happening. Anyway, backstory on this one: Had to visit the Northern Kingdom (MLPS/STPaul, Mrs. Black's Keep) and since it was such an incredible day, drove the Westy! Rolled 218K on the northbound leg, and all was going well until we finished all the errands, junk yard visits, second hand stores, and a pawn shop, found a nice Bass to replace the one I gave my son for my birthday last week!

Anyway, I-35 southbound to I-35E through St Paul I noticed the flashing coolant-low light. Pulled off in South St Paul on Concord, and found a spot to take a look. Area was pretty sketch, sort of by the air freight terminal. Looked, coolant overflow empty. Pulled the hatch, expansion tank half full. Probe had done its job to tell me the coolant was too low, thanks!

Filled up with 50/50 coolant/water and started engine. No obvious drips. Headed towards Rochester on US52 South. In another 20 miles again, the coolant blinker. This time after I filled the expansion tank again, I decided to not tighten it all the way so it would not pressurize the system, maybe I'd get a bit further before tossing in the towel for the day.. Got another 40 miles, Well past Rochester, and had to stop to top it off again seeing the the blink again. Another 30 miles later I took another look, not having spotted the red blinkey light yet, but not wanting to push it. Topped it up again, then made it the rest of the way home, I guess another 40 miles.

All told, I lost just under a gallon of coolant over roughly 150 miles.. I suspect the oil cooler, or something within about 6 inches...

Here's a few shots from underneath, when I got her in the garage on arrival home.

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

How's your oil looking? Hopefully it's not dumping coolant into your oil.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Oil was normal looking. At least it was in ST Paul, figured right away the reason I wasn't seeing a drip was if it was going into the oil... Later, I started seeing an obvious area of coolant leak evidence near the thermostat housing area.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Oil was normal looking. At least it was in ST Paul, figured right away the reason I wasn't seeing a drip was if it was going into the oil... Later, I started seeing an obvious area of coolant leak evidence near the thermostat housing area.

That last picture shows what looks to be a cracked hose at the clamped connection, the smaller hose in the picture.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:

That last picture shows what looks to be a cracked hose at the clamped connection, the smaller hose in the picture.

Indeed, and there's a drip there too. I've got to clean this all up to even start looking... Living on a 2 mile dirt/gravel road sure sucks ... that oil filter was changed less than 2000 miles ago.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
It was an air pocket.

Dave
Ah hah....Finally read your thread update- congratulations.
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

fire extinguisher

reverse light

rear window protection

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Another VW night.

Replacing the TPS.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
SlalomVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Changed my fuel filter! Amazed that it still worked with all the crud that came out of the inlet side when emptied. Surprised

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

SlalomVan wrote:
Changed my fuel filter! Amazed that it still worked with all the crud that came out of the inlet side when emptied. Surprised

. Whoa. Any idea how old your tank is.... Shocked
SlalomVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

[/quote]. Whoa. Any idea how old your tank is.... Shocked[/quote]

My tanks is original to the van - 1988. I pulled the tank almost exactly a year ago to change the cross-over vent hoses and put in a new fuel gage sending unit. At the time, I flushed it out with some gasoline and it looked nice and clean inside with no visible areas of rust. I also replaced the filter at that time. So this is filth has accumulated in the filter over the last year and about 6,000 miles. I was shocked to see this much crud, considering that it was running just fine. I am going to check it in another 3 months. Hopefully it won't look anything like this!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Ethanol, by chance?
SlalomVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Ethanol, by chance?

Yes. Here in Washington State the gas available is labeled as having up to 10% Ethanol.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 555, 556, 557 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 556 of 629

Jump to: