Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trimmed a bit of my Bosch rebuilt starter so I could get the last hex nut onto the motor stud and finally securing my Subaru 2.2 to the transmission.
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the last combination of rocker ratios I hadn't tried yet, all 1.1's. I had 1.1 on intake and 1.25 on exhaust, which gave it really nice torque in the low-mid range, but it runs out before 4k. As expected, all 1.1's smoothed the idle some, made it a bit less responsive to throttle, spread the torque band out some but at the cost of some of that peak, and didn't add anything at the top end. So, I'm going to mess with all 1.25's again. I was half into that and it was sunset so time to take the dogs for a little walk.

Yesterday I tackled a nagging problem that I hadn't been able to isolate because it sounded when I'm driving to be coming from the back like under the rear seat near the slider. Then my dad was riding in the back, and he noted a squeak he heard, and I said I could never find it but it drove me nuts when it happened, and he said it's right here, and propped up the AC duct joint right behind my head, and the squeak stopped. Man, that thing had eaten at me for months. Something about the sound always made it sound like it was coming from the back somewhere. I knew the plastic was cracked where the metal plate holds it to the roof, so it sagged, and I had got some 3" screws awhile ago to hang it better, by going thru the underside and screwing into the metal support plate to tighten up the duct. Turns out 3" is too short, but I had some long screws, with white heads even, that I trimmed to 3 1/2" or so and shot those up thru there, and it hangs nice and snug now. No more squeak.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a Kelty Carport side awning for my van Wink

Glenn

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and had the propane tank filled as it was on empty again, got a young guy this time so no cracking knees and bitching because the westy is lowered Very Happy brought it home and started to load it up for this weekends camping trip!
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....I totally ignored Her today again. I've been drivin' my Mother-in-Laws Audi Allroad wagon instead. Embarassed They went to Tuscon.
I'll go kiss my van before I go to bed.(out of guilt) Laughing She will be haulin' a pallet of concrete and portland on Sat morn. That will make her feel useful.

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: What I Did... Reply with quote

Read all the responses about Winston's alternator and wished I had the time to go out there and have a look, corresponded with Terry K. about a new product he might offer, posted about my NON-screaming 'key in' buzzer, worried about filling up when they were filling the tanks and writing Chris to tell him that at least I put a bottle of HEET in the tank...

Wrote this...

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BC Westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about her sleeping nice and warm and dry in storage for the winter. Then cruised the Go Westy site.
1981 Westfalia 300,000kms
1982 Westfalia Cali Import 193,000Miles
1982 Westfalia (Auto) 205,000Kms
1984 Vanagon 306,000kms
1987 Vanagon GL 300,000Kms
Boogievan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove it to work..Then I drove it home!!! Glory!!
I then tinted a window, but the tint was all hazy and crappy looking, so I took it off... lame.
jsSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wired up a new aux battery and started wiring some heated seats.....
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of some of the crap I've been doing for the last week,

New 16" wheels and some burley Hakkapeliita delivery van tires and the van is a completely different vehicle, super rad. Tires are 107 load rating, 2100 lbs per tire, 195 75 16's, snow tire thats good for year round use. These new wheels are 2.5" taller than the old ones, %10 more "gearing" Smile

I had some resonance/harmonic issues that are now gone, at less than 35 in 4th and between 55 and 60 in 4th were the problem areas, not anymore Smile . Plus 65 MPH is now 2,800 RPM, really nice.

Theres less noise at 65 than there used to be at 55, new oil cooler is sweet as well ,keeps oil temps down notably and oil pressure up, but I need to "seal" it better to the bottom of the D pillar so all the air is forced through it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a view of the body work extension I made into the wheel well to house the new oil cooler, the new underbody coating makes it obvious,

And here is a view from the other side, that used to be a flat surface, ie the oil cooler is 2.5" farther towards the top of the picture than was possible before I hacked it up and melted it back together with extra metal, all I had was .030 flux core wire :-/

And here is a pre-pump I added (just to the right of the fuel filter), 43 GPH at 7 PSI, but it only runs when fuel flows, minimal power consumption, Walbro refrigerator fuel pump actually, but it makes a ticking sound when it runs, needs some rubber grommet isolators.

I also added a fat gauge package, its not done here, Coolant temp is now on the right and EGT on the left,

PVC and Bondo, beauty in its purest form.

Oh yea, the holes in the middle of the 16" wheels I got were 57mm and they needed to be 67, thats what I was saving all those super mini cutt off grinder wheels for all these years! Check the mini cut off whleels on top of the wheel Laughing

I also had to customize the lug nuts for the rear wheels by spinning them in my drill and shaving them down on the bench grinder so the taper would fully engage the wheel, no, I'm not an engineer but I play one in real life Laughing .
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in one day? Wow!

(OK, mine was two, so I'll cut you some slack...)

What motor is in the back there? Turbodiesel? Got enough wires in that engine bay? You went for the big oil cooler, huh?

Good idea on the PVC pipe fab work. What size pipe admits a VDO gauge? They're 2 1/16" OD, kinda weird.

All that really deserved its own thread. I'm hijacking asking so many questions.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
All in one day? Wow!

(OK, mine was two, so I'll cut you some slack...)

A week.

tencentlife wrote:
What motor is in the back there? Turbodiesel? Got enough wires in that engine bay? You went for the big oil cooler, huh?

98' AHU TDI Eventually I want to run the wiring the other way around the engine bay which will clean it up a lot. Oil runs at 220* F on a 30*F day at 65 MPH so I went as big as I could fit with the oil cooler.

tencentlife wrote:
Good idea on the PVC pipe fab work. What size pipe admits a VDO gauge? They're 2 1/16" OD, kinda weird.

2" PVC works well, a little sanding or rotary file on the inside of the pipe and they fit great, the Autometer gauges are a touch bigger then the VDO so they need some more material removal to get that just right fit.

tencentlife wrote:
All that really deserved its own thread. I'm hijacking asking so many questions.

D'oh! I'll start a new thread when I finish with today projects.
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pried the cover off the AFM to clean the tracks (and maybe some spring-adjustment)
Sprayed PB on the shocks mounting because I'm putting in my Bilsteins next week.
Spent some time w/Bentley because I have low OP and I'm looking at either a rebuild or at least a new oil pump
swmontana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took mine back to B & B Motors (known locally as "Bring it Back Motors) to have the Haki snow tire they had installed backwards re-mounted. They did get one of them mounted correctly so I suppose I could have left it as it was for ease in backing out of the driveway.
2000 Fleetwood 737
Gone but not forgotten: 57 Bug, 66 Westy, 67 Bug, 71 Bus, 72 SQBck, 84 Westy, 87 Van, 90 Golf
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove the Westy to work, noticing that having tweaked the fridge latch strike to remove the slop now makes it harder for the door to stay latched so now I need to remove the front panel again and de-space the latch strike so it will stay shut. Again.

And I still can't get it to light on propane.
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it rained last night the roads are wet and I was able to light up the rear tire/ tires on my 88 westy turning out of parking lots, even got it to squeal - and it is an automatic. Just one of those dreary friday blues type of days where I have no patience and am in a hurry but don't know why. Rolling Eyes Confused Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zohami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Monday before work I installed Weitec lowering springs and Koni shocks.

My '85 sat higher than the later models, and I never go off-road here, but need to park in some low-clearance garages. Couln't find Carat style springs so went with the Weitecs - what a difference! the pogo stick over speed bumps is gone. Turns feel like I'm sitting on a roller skate. Handling is remarkably improved.

So today, new tires and an alignment were in order - Can't wait to go for a cruise this weekend.

Aloha
Cool
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zohami wrote:
On Monday before work I installed Weitec lowering springs and Koni shocks.

Pictures of the final product? You like the weitec springs?

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove my Doka up to my wood lot/Bon fire pit & used it as a work bench to fuel/tighten my saw. The trucks running great, almost time for its winter snooze..........

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st checked the oil.

Then drove Tiki to work in the rain with both heaters working. Cut out of work early and cruised back home, back roads ( as Rochester has them...)

Went out to happy hour. Ah, workweek over.

Want oh so much to camp now. It is past peak here in WNY. Cold coming soon. Tiki goes into hiding from SALT.

Much work to be done.
Smiles on face to know next years travels are a few short months away.

Cool
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 629

Jump to: