Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 249, 250, 251 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really like the look and your satisfaction with the lift, checked out the GW kit. After install and alignment what was the total? With chocks and all I would guess about $600?
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a set of Hankooks installed,and a synthetic 15/50 transfusion done today. Quite a difference between the Hankooks and the Yokohamas I had previously. Ride seems quieter and less harsh or it could all just be in my mind Laughing we'll see.
schoonerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last got round to changing the ignition switch, simple with the help of Bens instructions.
I did notice tho that the switch from GoWesty, although had German markings, was made in China......anybody had bad results with these switches???????
Darren2dream
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the fuel rails & remaining lines today..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What, this wasn't safe?? Embarassed Exclamation

BoWingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed the new rear shifter fix kit and new bushings on the shift linkage and properly adjusted the shifter for the first time...ever. Should have done that a long time ago. Not only can I now find all gears, but the van shifts like butter! Very Happy
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BoWingo wrote:
Installed the new rear shifter fix kit and new bushings on the shift linkage and properly adjusted the shifter for the first time...ever. Should have done that a long time ago. Not only can I now find all gears, but the van shifts like butter! Very Happy

Can I ask, what prompted you to replace the bushings? Were you not able to find all the gears? Did you have a grind shifting into second?

Reason I ask is I have the latter problem. My westy doesn't like 2nd gear until it is properly warmed up. Wondering if the linkage may be the culprit. Trying to keep it simple...

Or, is there something else I should consider?

Biology is destiny...choose your mutations carefully
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Truck running like crap Reply with quote

My 2.2 had been running horrible for the last couple of weeks . I disconnected the 02 sensor and it ran a little better .
I had been collecting parts for awhile and decided I better fix it . With all tune up parts in hand and a new 02 sensor ,California compliant Catalytic converter and muffler . I swapped it all out .Van runs much better now ,still need to set timing ,but what a difference .
I decided to check out the components to see what was wrong . First and most obvious was the old Cat ,It was hollow ,completely cleaned out ,and this thing passed smog 2 years ago ? .
I then ran a check on the wires and one of them (less than 2 years old ) had a dead resistor . From there a went to the plugs which were 3 prong NGK ,they electrode was cone shaped and flat where the ground hits it . The rotor and cap were within tolerance although a little crusty .
I find it hard to believe the ran at all . It just shows how touch these motors are. While not as reliable as my Toyota ,but for a vehicle I put a lot of miles with little maintenance I will not complain .
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
schoonerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Problems going into second when cold

Hey delibessleep,

I have the same problems in winter (not summer) with shifting into second gear....

My solution is after moving from 1st, clutch in, move the gear shift right then left in neutral then into second, when it warms up all is well..go figure!!!!

I have a lot of slop in my gear shift so I'm going to fit new plastic tips to the shift fork
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the synthetic trans fluid swap. Changed the oil, used a NAPA Gold oil filter this time. Bled the clutch, that was some dirty fluid coming out. Now the clutch doesn't engage so close to the floor. Lubed the contents of the shifter box. Checked tire pressure. Loaded up all my camping gear. Ready forSyncroFest trip.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Racerrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some more putting together on my syncro
From this

To This Smile

Too many vans and mostly all projects Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spiritid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished putting the front seats back in after recovering them. Quite the project but I am very pleased with the results.

Susan

Last edited by spiritid on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jteerlink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
really like the look and your satisfaction with the lift, checked out the GW kit. After install and alignment what was the total? With chocks and all I would guess about $600?

My entire lift budget was maxed at $525 which includes GW springs, shocks, bushings, spring compressor rental and some liquid revival!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice seats. What's that 'slide like' thingy on the front of your dash? Is that a customized interior?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not today, but last week. Finally wrapped the South Africa Carats in some rubber. They have been sitting in my house naked, collecting dust for the past two years, so I am pretty excited to finally have them on. Decided to wrap them in Vanco 4 Seasons 205/65R15 @ $144ea. A bit pricey, but I think it was a good purchase. Handling seems to have improved. Looks millions of times better than the stock hubcaps as well.

Bought a caster camber gauge and did a front end alignment as per Loogy's guide. Tracks straight! I'll be keeping a close eye on the tire wear.

Yes, thats an attached garage and a detached two car garage workshop in the picture. It's my brothers house and I am filled with envy. It's the perfect place for an alignment.

Also cleaned the rear brake hardware and bled the brakes. It seems as if the hardware was so gummed up that the self-adjusting mechanism wasn't self adjusting. It's amazing how much better a rear drum adjust and a bleed can make the brakes feel.
MacFhearguis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made some child seat top tether brackets a la GoWesty.

The metal and hardware was all in the garage, so sin cuesta. I'll see what I can do to source the grommets.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: RW bearings Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus 4 Rear wheel bearings with zerk fittings. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
BoWingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delibessleep wrote:
Can I ask, what prompted you to replace the bushings? Were you not able to find all the gears? Did you have a grind shifting into second?

I had trouble getting into first gear recently and would have to leave red lights in second. When trying to shift into first, it felt like the transmission wouldn't fully engage. It always felt like I needed to push the shifter just a couple more inches forward. The problem turned out to be the plastic ball at the rear gear selector shaft. The ball was brittle and crumbling more and more with every shift.

I had already done the front plastic pieces a few years back, so I figured I might as well replace the plastic bushings while I had the system torn apart this time. That way I would have all new plastic in the shifter linkage and have less to worry about.

delibessleep wrote:
Reason I ask is I have the latter problem. My westy doesn't like 2nd gear until it is properly warmed up. Wondering if the linkage may be the culprit. Trying to keep it simple...

Or, is there something else I should consider?

I would encourage you to check the rear plastic ball, but the fact that you mention that your symptoms change as the van warms up makes me think that you have something very different going on. I wish I could help more, but I'm only as experienced as the problems that I've fixed so far.
spiritid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
Nice seats. What's that 'slide like' thingy on the front of your dash? Is that a customized interior?

Thanks! Yes, my '81 Vanagon is an AdventureWagen, customized by Ed Anderson. That 'slide like' thingy is a clip for a moveable shelf/table. So far, I've found two other similar clips in convenient locations.

Susan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice and thanks for answering
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed a Eurovan Steering wheel, black steering column cover and, although you can't tell from the photo, installed red LED dash lighting to match the Eurovan radio.

1971 Super Beetle
1986 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 249, 250, 251 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 250 of 629

Jump to: