Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 250, 251, 252 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schoonerman wrote:
Quote:
Problems going into second when cold

Hey delibessleep,

I have the same problems in winter (not summer) with shifting into second gear....

My solution is after moving from 1st, clutch in, move the gear shift right then left in neutral then into second, when it warms up all is well..go figure!!!!

I have a lot of slop in my gear shift so I'm going to fit new plastic tips to the shift fork

I do something similar. When cold shifting from first to second, I let it linger a second or two longer in the neutral position, then slide it back gently. This typically works well. It isn't an issue when warm, so I figure it is more an an internal gearbox bugger than a linkage issue.

Biology is destiny...choose your mutations carefully
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man o man, between working as a mechanic's aid changing winter/summer tires and running errands and trying to work on Scooby, I put in a 9.5 hr day today but I did accomplish at least one big thing.

I think I've figured out reattaching the push button glow plug to the appropriate wiring in the dash. At least it lights up. Wore the battery down trying to start the van but will charge it in am and check all the circuits for amperage/voltage with miracle equipment Nelson has. He had 2 mechanics off today and one lift permanently occupied by a car with it's transmission out waiting for a part. First thing tomorrow!!!!

I know that my washers and wipers work ( I replaced all the tubing, the y and washer jets!!! and lubed up the inside arms & motor). Even had intermittent going for a wee while but not now and not before Smile Some of my lighting system (O/S) work so I'll have to track that down. I have 4 gauges and an engine hr counter to test out too.

Most of my 'hardships' come from the van being converted and many different people in its history changing wiring etc.... Heck I'm taking all the radio wiring (had an amp but I took it out) and will relay all speaker wiring. I discovered that only the passenger door speaker was connected Rolling Eyes Then I'll take it back to the shop where I bought the new radio and I know they'll hook all the wiring up for me. Then I also have to take it back to the Master auto electrician who redid all my engine and some dash rewiring for me so he can reinstall my battery isolation system which I also broke off taking the dash out. If you don't know, it's very heavy and very awkward, I did it all by myself so I broke 2 things. Fortunately I had removed the steering wheel which made things easier.

Now a wee bit about the manual shift stick. I've put a shift stick extender on and still have to figure out how to get the old knob on it but no rush for that right now. When I was playing with it, I released the base (in cab) collar which holds the spring in place. Before I put that back on I need to know what I should do underneath the van and in the cab re cleaning, lubricating and hopefully Bentley will tell me what kind of pressure to put the spring back under

When I was trying to start it, I knocked that bl**dy accelerator pedal off!!! Crawled underneath and took the box off and reattached it. Now I know how to do it!!!! Surprised I asked Nelson if I couldn't wire it so it wouldn't fall off again (it's done it before to me and I'm sure many sufferers of Vanagonitis) but he said I could not do that but now I know how to do it myself.

Got a new old 14" original wheel spare and I'm wrapping it in construction plastic before I put it back in it's carrier. Have ordered the front and back set of used lug bolts from Loogy and will put them in my spare parts box. See I have 15" Audi wheels with spacers, so if I need to use the spare I need the original lug bolts. Loogy tells me the front are different than the rear so I needed 2 sets not knowing where I'll use the spare). I had a leaky valve on my Tercel so I used N's big hydraulic jack to take it off. I was jumping on the lug arm and couldn't budge it, so I'll need help to change any tires but I've always found people on the road helpful if I get everything out and set up. There are advantages to being a female you know Wink

Hopefully I'll take leaping steps tomorrow and hopefully get to put the dash back on this weekend. Hopefully. Y'all know I couldn't do this without your help and moral support and encouragement. THANK YOU Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I installed a power inverter from VC. As well, I positioned a intake vent for the Propex. The face of the inverter is between the front seat and the rear facing seat. Nice out of the way spot and still close to the accessory battery... Maybe the pictures will help.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Smile
Themasterof42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed an auxiliary outlet in my AC pillar. I think it came out pretty clean.

also, got my sub situation all sorted out. Not the most pretty, but it'll do!

I even cleaned up some of the electrical contacts in my engine compartment!
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't do it my self, but got new transmission, nice. Also replace the alternator bracket and some bulbs, those I did myself. Smile
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as much as I wanted to but it took all day to trickle charge it so I gave the shop a super cleaning and acted as a grease monkey and goofer or is that gofer?. Shop closed on weekend so if I go down it'll just be to tidy up and reorganize next steps. Physically exhausted tho from last few days.

I did call a recommended Registered Appraisor for Antique and Classic Vehicles. Booked him for May. $240.00 (includes taxes) includes a 2 hour inspection, 4 pages of report and at least 8 pictures, and copy for my Insurance Company. I think it's a worthwhile investment for insurance and resale evaulation. Thought it was going to be over $400.00. By that time in May I should have just about everything but the fuel tank done. That can wait while I do some tripping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Themasterof42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took my Van into the smog shop to see what kind of numbers it was pulling. We were able to determine there was some sort of an intake leak causing the 02 level to shoot up. After troubleshooting for a while, we got things ironed out. The throttle body seal was leaking air in screwing stuff up. Then, I took it for it's first real drive since my engine swap. I think we logged 70 miles on this bad boy. We took it back to the shop and quickly verified that this had solved our problem. All good there. Finally, we were able to diagnose a non functioning catalytic converter (looked good on the inside but wasn't functioning). Just ordered one from Van-Cafe. Sometime next week I should be fully operational and legal if all goes well! Smile
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I found a pinhole leak in one of the coolant hoses

http://shufti.wordpress.com/2012/04/20/vanagon-cooling-system-leak/

Couple of days ago I did another rear wheel bearing repair

http://shufti.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/vanagon-rear-wheel-bearing-redux/

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
llamaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Today attempted to reinstall my gas tank. Reply with quote

I hoped to get the tank back in to my 89, but am having some trouble getting the gas line cross over tube to insert in the new rubber gaskets on the top of the tank.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post.

Does anyone have any suggestions on tricks of reinstalling a Vanagon gas tank?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Today attempted to reinstall my gas tank. Reply with quote

llamaman wrote:
...having some trouble getting the gas line cross over tube to insert in the new rubber gaskets on the top of the tank...Does anyone have any suggestions?

Have a skinny-armed 12-year-old child handle this for you. Wink

No, seriously - vaseline the grommets, vaseline your arm & do the best you can.
Serach on this.

I found helpful these words from Sambanista delibessleep:

Quote:
The tank crossover line:
It must go over the water lines and the ebrake cables, so you get to put it in BEFORE you put the tank in. And this part sucks.
Put the forward edge of the tank in its proper place, and raise the backside up with a 2x4 on edge so it slopes down a bit. Feed your whisker lines accordingly and zip tie them to something in the wheel well so they don't wander or fall out of place.
Grab the driver's side crossover, lube it, reach in and and stuff it in the hole. Then do the same for the expansion hose from the filler neck (it goes in the most forward grommet on the passenger side of the tank.) At this point, you'll need to raise the drivers side front edge of the tank a little so it sits diagonally with the slope to the passenger side. Then Grab the crossover, lube it, and stuff it in the grommet. Check to make sure none of them popped out when doing this, and don't forget to hook up your sending unit.
Put the tank back horizontal, and remount.

Everyone does it; everyone loves it.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
brendanklein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Themasterof42 wrote:
Took my Van into the smog shop to see what kind of numbers it was pulling. We were able to determine there was some sort of an intake leak causing the 02 level to shoot up. After troubleshooting for a while, we got things ironed out. The throttle body seal was leaking air in screwing stuff up. Then, I took it for it's first real drive since my engine swap. I think we logged 70 miles on this bad boy. We took it back to the shop and quickly verified that this had solved our problem. All good there. Finally, we were able to diagnose a non functioning catalytic converter (looked good on the inside but wasn't functioning). Just ordered one from Van-Cafe. Sometime next week I should be fully operational and legal if all goes well! Smile

in the same boat. california is the worst for this stuff. I ordered up an O2 sensor last night from go westy per the mechanics recommendation in hopes it'll solve my problem.

*fingers crossed*

Restoring Oscar Blog
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: New bushings today Reply with quote

Today I installed new upper control arm bushings after the originals (!) with more than 147K miles on them began to squeak like an old mattress. Then since I had the upper control arms out already, I replaced the upper ball joints. Good thing too - they were completely shot - don't know how my tires were not wearing unevenly. Now the steering feels perceptably tighter - probably just my imagination - but it does give me better piece of mind. Next stop - front end alignment to get that caster back where it is supposed to be.

MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New rear shoes and brake cylinders on both wheels. Also some new fuel and vacuum lines.

A few days ago I dropped the tank to replace the crossover tube with some 1/2 in fuel line in lieu of the $40 plastic line.

The passenger side flare nut was a real pain, I had to chop up a socket.
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the last of the bodywork and put in the middle/driver side window with a new seal. Some 3/16" rope and 5 minutes help from Bonita Esposa and the window is back in.

After beaucoup hours work...

Window & seal ready to go

Beer o'clock

Just for fun, this is what I was up against before welding in new metal. First noticed this camping last year when I decided to poke at some moderate surface rust in the area, and nearly required a tetanus shot afterwards.
It was like this in both lower corners. What a fun place to find that level of rotted out metal.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you consider reversing your middle side windows so they open from the rear rather than near the door locks? I'm considering it

I need to know what you and others have said about using rope with the windows?
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with the window arrangement the way it is.
WRT the rope trick, it's one of the easiest jobs I've done on the van, 5 minutes tops.
These fine fellows will show you how it's done (not my video, just there for Vanagon content):

Link
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks WOW that looks easy! I love those guys, they really enjoy what they do and they are innovative too! problem is I'd have to hire a bunch of people OR do it at a meet! Is it the same for all the windows? Surprised
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed new front bearings, rotors, and pads last night. Added to the new flex lines and last year's rear brake rebuild, I am a stoppin' fool.

The lack of motivation regarding interior and body work has really motivated me to get everything else in order. Pretty soon I'll have no choice.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally figured out why none of my idiots lights or gauges were working - they were no longer grounded due to a really small break between the grounds (pin 2 and 5) on the 14-pin male connector for the intrument cluster. I did this to fix it, and it worked great:

crazyvwvanman wrote:

The way I would deal with the cluster grounds on 80-84 is to cut both brown wires about 3" from the edge connector. Tie the two short 3" ends together and extend them with a thicker wire to a screw that attaches to the body. Then attach the other 2 long ends to just each other. Done.

There are other ways people might be tempted to do this but danger lurks!

Mark
[/quote]

I also put in a new grease cap and speedo cable, so the speedo and odometer now work for the first time in years. I put on a new OEM antenna, and fixed a broken muffler support bracket.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to exciting but since I got new Hankooks last week I thought Madam Helga would like a new set of stainless trim rings and a new set of hub's. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 250, 251, 252 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 251 of 629

Jump to: