Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 460, 461, 462 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Remember to reach for the Silver paint at the hardware store instead of the Black paint when you do paint your wheels.

I am loading them up to take to Les Schwab so they can be unmounted and disposed of ($2 each) and note that I have two black ones and two silver ones.

Think

Not sure what I will do with naked wheels, to be honest. Maybe offer them up in the karma thread…

EDIT: The main reason I went to Les Schwab was to have them figure out why the tires they mounted in May were losing air. Been there three times in the past six weeks to get them checked and filled. Turns out they didn't replace the valve stems. I assumed that was part of installing/mounting new rubber but evidently not. Those old skins were pretty old, as I recall, well past the recommended 7 years.

Caveat emptor, I guess…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

While waiting for kids to get the 2.1 wbx in their overheated '86 (Cosmo) torn down, I decided to move things along and get the '86 spare parts van (the DoubleCheese) engine dropped and on the floor... Maybe it'll be a good hint Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I had an ugly looking area under the rear seat with my heater grills. With the stock heater in place, but without any factory grill (looks like a previous owner blindly sawed a hole to add the rear heater), and the vent for my Propex HS2800. A stock grill wouldn't really work due to the closeness of the propex vent. So while browsing on Etsy one night, I came across a guy that 3D prints grills and other bits for the Westy. He was willing to make a custom solution for my vent woes and a few precise measurements and $50 later, I got a pretty sweet new grill that works with both heater vents. As you can see, it's a definite improvement, or at least I think so. Cool or no?

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

COOL

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Very cool!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robbiecanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got a new heart...

84' westfalia 1.8t
87' 4runner
91' 2.9 vr6 coupe
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Sat Am Poptop replacement from Bus Depot. Was a PITA w the old tack strip. Its harder than when originally installed and regular staples bend on the way through. Screwed it in place w some large headed screws and its all secure. The new Tres Ventanas top is so much nicer. The breeze moves thru w new fresh air every few seconds. Imagine that, air circulation.

Sun AM Window regulator repair. Little plastic piece had fallen from the spot where it held the window on the regulator. I found this site (https://shufti.blog/2011/01/27/vanagon-window-regulator-repair/) and did exactly has they had done. Moving forward on the shoulders of those who have gone before me. Thanks guys.

Great weekend. Now to relax before the family gets home.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

NICE a 98-99 AEB 1.8T from a passat.
drive by cable, nice easy wiring and no immobilizer.
have one in my 1980 camper.
robbiecanter wrote:
Got a new heart...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Quote:
NICE a 98-99 AEB 1.8T from a passat.
drive by cable, nice easy wiring and no immobilizer.
have one in my 1980 camper.

Dan
Do you have a picture of the exhaust on your AEB camper?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I don't but..
I cut the cat pitp just after the O2 hole.
had a Stainless 90* downturn welded on with a V-band ring. then a 90* down to the tire side turn then a 90* towards the back and a small cat. with a final 90* turn across the back of the engine with a ~$40 truck cylindrical muffler supported off the motor (whole exhaust is mounted to the motor not the body)

iirc it's 2.2.5 tubing and is nice and quiet..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Burned up the electrical foil to the right side (tach) instrument pod when the LED replacement somehow shorted. Nice. Not one of the three bulbs would light up when installed. Went back to the OG ones where I still have the option.

I know other people have used these successfully. I'll trawl the forums for how to work around that scorched foil. Thought this would be a nice way to end the day, a little job that would make things better. Not so much.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Cleaned my MAF in an effort to reduce the cutouts that have been happening on the highway. Sprayed brake cleaner all over my IAC in an effort to end the stop light stalls.

Stop light stalls havent happened since (150 miles later). Ill hit the highway tomorrow and see about those cutouts.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced my dim OG cluster lights with LEDs from SuperBrightLEDs. Can't say I would recommend them as they don't fit well at all and my first attempt at installing them resulted in this:

I thought they would just twist in and I would be done. Not so much…not entirely sure how that happened anyway.

But despite the appearance, the foil is still working.

The LEDs aren't made to fit these sockets: the locking mechanism doesn't put the tab where it makes good contact. If I keep rotating it to lock in, the tabs are off the pads. See the far left of the other picture with the OEM light: it aligns with that screw head and those stampings.

And the tabs themselves need to be bent down to make contact with the foil.

NB: if you are going to do this, buy four bulbs: I didn't realize there was one behind the clock. You're not getting to that one without pulling the cluster, and I didn't see it until l brought it all upstairs to get a better look at it all.

Later…

Added a footwell lighting kit from member VanagonLEDs (look him up in the classifieds).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbdyt_riX3U

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I got the dash light set from Van Cafe 2 1/2 years ago. They installed easily and are still working beautifully - for less than ten dollars.

http://www.van-cafe.com/led-dash-light-bulb-kit

LEDs do have polarity, so you might need to spin them 180* if they don't work at first.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If they have polarity, it could be marked. Two of them had a white dot that I assumed meant + but the other didn't. They all work now but it could have gone better.

Kamz has a list of the right bulbs from SuperBright that I forgot existed so I have ordered the right ones from that. They will take these back at their expense. I have let them know of the list as well. Maybe they'll use it.

EDIT: got an email from SBL that regrets the trouble but says they offer no other options. Rolling Eyes They are taking them back as an RMA so good on them.

So don't rely on them: rely on yer fellow Vanagoneers…

EDIT 2: got the list-recommended ones in today. They are a tight fit, not for the fingers. I used pliers to get them in. Did all four, as one of the mount for the gauges fell into behind the cluster, necessitating removal and recovery. They worked fine, once I got them in.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Today I finished the tinting job I started three months ago....
I started the project with the rear window vent installation:

At the same time, I replaced the glass behind the closet with an Aluminum panel. Here it is, painted silver:

And then, three weeks ago, I pulled both sliding windows out, and I tinted them as well as replacing the fuzzy strips and plastic guides.
And now, today, the tinting is finished!

The curtains have been dyed black as well. Next camping trip, I'll find out if it is now more light proof!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced my fuel sender. Now, for the first time in 3 years I know how much fuel is in the tank. Yeehaw, yahoo.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Dropped off one to get fixed up to sell.

drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

It was LED conversion day for me. 7" and 5.75" LED projectors modified to fit into the SA grill so that all four are on for low beams and high beams.

Also converted the interior instruments to orange LED and added some foot well lighting.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 460, 461, 462 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 461 of 629

Jump to: