Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 532, 533, 534 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

What rear view/dash cam did you end up buying? I love that you can get it to mount on the factory ball! What tweaks did you need to do? Thanks!

brocski wrote:
I missed out on posting lots of stuff I banged out while being out of work due to the quarantine! Darn it.

Wrapped up the install of the video rear view/dash cam setup in the van the other day though. Pretty stoked I can drive with the curtains closed and still have visibility out the back/see what I'm backing into. Fittings included with this model allow you to replace the factory rear view, rather than clamp a screen to it which would have deterred me from doing this. I did have to modify the bracket a little bit, but all in all it looks pretty seamless. It fits PERFECTLY between the sun visors now too.

revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

WestleyTheWesty wrote:
What rear view/dash cam did you end up buying? I love that you can get it to mount on the factory ball! What tweaks did you need to do? Thanks!

brocski wrote:
I missed out on posting lots of stuff I banged out while being out of work due to the quarantine! Darn it.

Wrapped up the install of the video rear view/dash cam setup in the van the other day though. Pretty stoked I can drive with the curtains closed and still have visibility out the back/see what I'm backing into. Fittings included with this model allow you to replace the factory rear view, rather than clamp a screen to it which would have deterred me from doing this. I did have to modify the bracket a little bit, but all in all it looks pretty seamless. It fits PERFECTLY between the sun visors now too.

Can’t say for sure, but I’m pretty sure it is this one. I am also looking into getting one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VCR9PKV/?coliid=I12Q7..._lig_dp_it
Blue Hill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I worked on this...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Hill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Before that I did some of this...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Change the fuel pump on my Tristar today. My idle had been erratic and would not start a few times. After some thought it occurred to me that maybe it was the pump or relay. I looked at the Pos lead lead at the pump and the case had been corroded or melted around the connector.
When it would not start one day I whacked it with a hammer and it started right up. After installing a new pump I decided to do an autopsy on the pump. The armature was grooved and the one of the brushes was worn out. With the new pump the idle has stabilized and it starts right up.
That pump gave its life and died from 409K miles of pumping fuel. If your pump is noisy or just really old it may be a good time to replace it.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

While I had some momentum from the previous tasks I thought I'd change the trans fluid. Last done years ago, I was hoping the switch to full synthetic would be an improvement, and it was. Noticeably smoother shifting.

Got started using my homemade 17mm key to remove the fill and drain plugs. Fill opened fine but the drain was stuck and I broke loose the double-nutted pieces so I had them tack welded for strength and those broke loose on the very next try.

I bought a 17mm 1/2" drive bit and it looked stout but was too long so I ground a couple of millimeters off the back end and that worked to get the bit into the plug.

Old lube still looked good and there was very little metal on the magnetic plug.

Rich_T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed the dual horn and relay kit from Van Cafe today. Out with the meep, in with a honk.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

My trans was just rebuilt so I'll be changing the oil a few times. I tested out my 24" + 8" + 17mm fill plug removing combo...not because it's really necessary but because it's fun.

Fill plug painted hi-vis blue Very Happy ...

Nearly a 36" reach...

Testing...it works...the wobble on the end of the 8" extension helps...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Nice beemer. Cool
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Followed up on the trans lube change with an engine oil change (Mobil 1 of the 15W-50 variety with a Mann filter) and then did a celebratory coat of peanut oil on the exhaust system.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Nice beemer. Cool

Thanks. It's a '77 R100RS. The bodywork and some other parts are far from perfect but it's tons of run to ride.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
maueman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Changed out a 1983 air cooled automatic transmission shift cable Reply with quote

I'm installing a 2.5 Subaru engine and a waterboxer rebuilt automatic transmission with the higher gear ratio. PROBLEMS.....ALWAYS..... The shift cable is NLA. Everyone says that all the automatic transmission cables are the same. SAME part number anyway. They are NOT. The waterboxer cable is longer and you will need one if changing out the tranny. I bought mine used from Vanagon Recyclers, not cheap. Shipping was quite fast and it arrived in decent shape. Got to figure how to change out the large bellows on the cable.
Cool

Multivanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

After last year's dash pull and airbox cleaning the van still had a lingering mouse smell. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=61

I finally found the source while running the RCA cable under the carpet in the passenger floor.

Bleach and water spray on the floor, carpet padding, and a little carpet cleaner freshened it up.

Sub

Cleaned floor

Sound deadening added

1971 Super Beetle project
1996 Special Edition Trek Jetta mountain bike

Past VWs:
2008 Passat Wagon
1999.5 Golf
1991 Golf
SlalomVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Over the last six months, the van was starting to grind when I was shifting out of 4th gear. Getting worse as time went by. A couple times it even got stuck in 4th gear and would not shift out until I would rock the van back and forth with the motor off and clutch out. I got tired of running around town without using 4th gear. I’ve been working from home for the last six weeks, so not a lot of driving. And, obviously no freeway driving! So out it came. Spare waiting to go in.

As you can see, the drive flange seals were leaking pretty bad, despite being replaced when I rebuilt this motor 5 years and 52K miles ago.

I had an extra transmission sitting on the bench that I had cleaned up and detailed that was waiting to go into my other project van. More on that project later. Great to have a spare! Although it looks great from the outside, its condition is unknown. It was included with the “project” van and the previous owner claimed it was “running great” when he parked the van back in 1997. We will see!

I had never pulled just the transmission from the van, always done it with it attached to the motor as a complete unit. With the right tools and the help of a good friend, it was an easy and enjoyable job. Taking our time and not really rushing, it was a little over 4 hours start to finish.

I have used this gear oil in several of my transmissions with great results.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Multivanagon wrote:

Sub

How do you like that little Rockville sub? I have one in another car and it is great in a small space. Curious how it does in a Vanagon.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multivanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The Rockville 8" seems to compliment the stock 4" speakers well. It's enough to shake the rear view mirror, fill the van with bass, and annoy the passenger sitting on top of it.

I have no need to go bigger.
1971 Super Beetle project
1996 Special Edition Trek Jetta mountain bike

Past VWs:
2008 Passat Wagon
1999.5 Golf
1991 Golf
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Updated the van with a new 3-window poptop tent.
    Updated the poptop with a new 1-piece seal.
    Updated the skylight with a new gasket.
    Updated the luggage rack with a new seal.
    Updated the poptop and the luggage rack with a new coat of paint (Raymond Auto Body did the work.)

So the real deal is that we updated the poptop by purchasing one (which magically was available about a 10 minute drive from my house) because I ran the fiberglass poptop into the garage. Yep. My overworked, overtired, overstressed brain didn't make sure it was down and latched and I screwed up the fiberglass and the hinges but good. If you think I cried, you're right but it wasn't until I settled down. I'm still mad at myself and not ready to forgive myself for it.

But the van looks great. Next job is applying the Westfalia stickers.

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Follow up to answer a question: It took four of us carrying it in order to get the poptop off the sawhorses and ontop the van. It was four women and we weren't quite as tall as the dudes in the gowesty video, so scaffolding was in order Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

We've all been there, don't beat yourself up about it too much. Before I installed automatic garage door openers, one of the doors slid down a bit and I backed out of the garage right into it. The 33" spare tire on the Explorer sits on the roof and clearance was tight even with the door all the way open. The door was brand new. I beat it back to workable, but it's still dented.

Such is life. You repaired it and it looks good!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

j8 wrote:
...because I ran the fiberglass poptop into the garage. Yep. My overworked, overtired, overstressed brain didn't make sure it was down and latched and I screwed up the fiberglass and the hinges but good. If you think I cried, you're right but it wasn't until I settled down.

Hey, garages are dangerous things. You never know when one of 'em might jump out and bite something near and dear to you.

This was posed to show what happened previously. I'd backed up and heard a loud BAM and was sure I'd bent the rear bumper but saw it was unmarked and was greatly relieved, knowing how difficult it is to find straight bumpers. It was not until weeks later that I saw the hatch dents and realized what really happened.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 532, 533, 534 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 533 of 631

Jump to: