Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 556, 557, 558 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I'd be checking my evap tanks for cracks/ bushing failure. Mine both had serious sediment in them when I finally got around to that task.
SlalomVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
I'd be checking my evap tanks for cracks/ bushing failure. Mine both had serious sediment in them when I finally got around to that task.

When I dropped my tank to replace the sending unit, I replaced all the cross-ver and vent hoses. Also, both the evaporation tanks were removed, cleaned, checked for cracks, etc and then replaced. One other thing I should mention is that ALL my fuel lines were replaced about two years ago when I had the engine out to rebuild.

I find it odd that the Digifant Pro manual notes that the Fuel Filter is a lifetime filter and does not need replacing under "normal circumstances." Based on my experience, I think that the fuel filter should be replaced on a fairly regular basis. They are relatively inexpensive and very easy to access and replace.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

SlalomVan wrote:

I find it odd that the Digifant Pro manual notes that the Fuel Filter is a lifetime filter and does not need replacing under "normal circumstances."

we are giving these vans many reincarnated lives and which is not normal

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

SlalomVan wrote:
mikemtnbike wrote:

When I dropped my tank to replace the sending unit, I replaced all the cross-ver and vent hoses. Also, both the evaporation tanks were removed, cleaned, checked for cracks, etc and then replaced. One other thing I should mention is that ALL my fuel lines were replaced about two years ago when I had the engine out to rebuild.

I find it odd that the Digifant Pro manual notes that the Fuel Filter is a lifetime filter and does not need replacing under "normal circumstances." Based on my experience, I think that the fuel filter should be replaced on a fairly regular basis. They are relatively inexpensive and very easy to access and replace.

. Written by the same marketing folks who felt the gear oil in the manual transaxle was Lifetime fill as well..... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Nimbus'87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Passed CARB/REF smog...

So the Westy got put back to work...

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Nimbus'87 wrote:
Passed CARB/REF smog...

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2158832.jpg[/img

So the Westy got put back to work...

That picture right there ^^^
This is part of why I got rid of my Westy.
Way too much value and desire to keep it clean and undamaged!
I found that Hauling crap like this was just way too stressful!
Packing towels and blankets around everything, hoping nothing would shift and destroy a cabinet door......

Nope, Mr Tintop will be my workhorse and I can still travel and sleep in it! I only had a "Weekender" anyway. Except for the poptop..... same function without the stress.
I did give up a level of the "cool" factor though.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Written by the same marketing folks who felt the gear oil in the manual transaxle was Lifetime fill as well..... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I have a hunch that 'Lifetime' in terms of vehicle sales and maintenance would not pertain to anything more than 12 to 15 years. Sure, your 15 year old monstrous fuel filter clogging and causing that "to be the last straw --- tow it away and crush it" or the gear oil causing the same, totally understandable for ANY automobile manufacturer. I don't believe the Bentley manual was supposed to be like the Muir book.

But, also, I think the idea of changing these fluids, or filters, etc. is a good plan, if a person were to want to keep it longer... in our case probably already more than twice as long as expected. I'm hopeful for 4X Wink
Nimbus'87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Dave: "This is part of why I got rid of my Westy."

Lol...Yeah, understood.
I will admit to spending $25. on a HD rental truck to bring home siding and other ply's that didn't fit as comfortably.

Since retirement from swinging a hammer; the Westy is occasionally given the nod to act truckish. For the cost of insurance, maintenance and rusting away in front of the suburban neighborhood, the F250 went to another actual working stiff.
It is what it is.

No harm was done to Nimbus, but I'll admit it did stress my nerves for the short 7mile drive home.

As a Swiss Army Knife/vehicle it does/did just fine.
He's not an investment; he's part of the family and must pull duty when called upon.
For two old empty nesters the whole Westy package is iconic and hard to beat as laid out 'n designed. But you know that too. The spouse won't go back to sleeping bags in back of the pickup bed again; but she will settle for sleeping in while breakfast is made at her feet. Laughing

SS.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Nimbus'87 wrote:
Dave: "This is part of why I got rid of my Westy."

Lol...Yeah, understood.
I will admit to spending $25. on a HD rental truck to bring home siding and other ply's that didn't fit as comfortably.

Since retirement from swinging a hammer; the Westy is occasionally given the nod to act truckish. For the cost of insurance, maintenance and rusting away in front of the suburban neighborhood, the F250 went to another actual working stiff.
It is what it is.

No harm was done to Nimbus, but I'll admit it did stress my nerves for the short 7mile drive home.

As a Swiss Army Knife/vehicle it does/did just fine.
He's not an investment; he's part of the family and must pull duty when called upon.
For two old empty nesters the whole Westy package is iconic and hard to beat as laid out 'n designed. But you know that too. The spouse won't go back to sleeping bags in back of the pickup bed again; but she will settle for sleeping in while breakfast is made at her feet.

Yeah, I don't mind carrying some stuff inside but since getting rid of the Mopar minivan I needed to be able to pull the trailer, and if hauling anything messy or something that threatens that nice grey interior it goes in the extra wayback, not inside.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:

That last picture shows what looks to be a cracked hose at the clamped connection, the smaller hose in the picture.

Yup, the 8" snow from Sunday melted, finally. So I had a chance to take it out of the garage and let it idle to warm up. Waited, watched 'til it started to drip. Had suspected that hose too, as it was already bandaided before my Colorado trip in February... cut it back more and got it to stop dripping, but with not so nice clamps. I have new hose and clamps inbound. But for now, at least I can drive it to work and get a rest at lunchtime... Sleep is more needed than food, it seems. At least I can be civil with Mrs. Black tomorrow night.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Not really a van, but it still has a WBX in it. Troubleshot my no start on my truck today. Pulled up to a job today and it would not start again.

After an hour of dinking around I found the ground wire at the ECU was loose, It is different from the chassis ground and engine grounds as it is mounts to a stud on the body under the rear seat on a Digifant.

Since mine was a Digijet DJ the ECU was in the engine compartment as a 1.9 and the ground was to the case. We bolted it to the body by itself and it came loose and caused a no spark, no start situation. I was lucky to find it as I was replacing the ECU I noticed the ground was loose.

Just another day driving a 32 year old vehicle with 419K miles on it.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
. cut it back more and got it to stop dripping, but with not so nice clamps. I have new hose and clamps inbound. But for now, at least I can drive it to work and get a rest at lunchtime... Sleep is more needed than food, it seems. At least I can be civil with Mrs. Black tomorrow night.

Not a good morning. Pulled out of the garage, went to close the door, and saw a trail of coolant from start spot trailing out to the curb. Frik!!! The hose is degraded to the point where the clamp is just slicing through it like butter, OR, the clamp I have is just sharp and cutting the hose. Regardless, I don't have much more left to pull/cut and clamp, as this is the 3rd try already Sad Drove Highlander to work Sad

Hope the Busdepot gets my new hose here today or tomorrow (VC was out of that hose). I've been trying to get a complete hose kit, but one vendor or another always has one or two missing hoses, and the full kit won't go into my cart... UGH!!! Piecemeal hose kit building SUCKS!!!

Oh, and also dumping coolant in my garage and on my driveway is gross.

Sorry Mrs. Black, no civility tonight! Maybe I'll grill some steaks and at least I will be happier..

[afterthought: I saw some spare hoses in my 83.5, wonder which ones they are.... and hmm, I should check my engines stash, perhaps there is one still attached to one of them!]

-bobby
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

New tires today! My old Yokohama Geolandar tires were really bad up front due to a bad alignment, so it was time to replace all four. I kept my existing spare, which was a Geolandar and will be used only for emergency short trips. This time I went with a little more aggressive tread, the General Tire Grabber ATX (215/75R 15), which was a little less expensive, too. The Grabbers also have the "Three Peak" snow rating.

I was also scheduled to get an alignment, but they said the tie rod end on the right front needed replacing in order to get a good alignment and I'm trusting them to be not full of BS. I had a Firestone store do mounting and the alignment and popped for the lifetime alignment for another $90, which will pay for itself in one more alignment and can be done at any Firestone store nationally as I travel... what do you think, good idea or no? Another $13 got me lifetime rotation and balancing. The part will be there in the morning and I'll get the alignment done then. This time I'll try to stay on top of the alignments and rotations better, especially since I've already paid for them.

Old front tire - really kind of dangerous:

The rears still had some tread, but I replaced all 4, which is sort of necessary on a Syncro I've read:

New "Grabbers" ready to put on:

Pretty aggressive tread for a AT tire:

Look great and the ride home felt great:

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Deciceded since my new hose wasn't here yet, I'd try cutting back a little more and wrap the degrading hose with tape so the clamp wouldn't cut into it again. Lasted about 15 minutes. Luckily just idling to warm up in the driveway while I watched it.

Well, crap! Anyway, I've had the full hose kit in my cart a few times, only to come back the next payday to click Buy, and it be a few hoses shy and not get it.

I've heard its a real wrestling match to do this particular hose.. Thermostat to Dist tower is about as awkward as I can imagine.

This piece just tore off.

16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

My truck kicked my ass today. Intermittent no start finally turned in to a no start. I love it when things break. Turned out to be a bad Injection harness. The harness was only about 5 years old. I think the way I had my ECU mounted I had the harness folded over itself and it just worked the wires and caused an open.

We Ohm'd it out and it tested OK, but if you had just one strand It would conduct. After hours of Diag we twisted the wire near the ECU and it died or stuttered and then would just not start.

I was able to source a new harness and it fired right up. I learned a lot about the Digifant system and realize its Simplicity.

I need to tidy up my Install but it starts again reliably.

Syncro Tristar 419K miles.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added a smoke detector. I already have a Carbon Monoxide detector and figured I'd better be safe and found this tiny detector on Amazon. It's only 2.76" x 1.4" and has a 10 year battery, so it will probably outlive me. Comes with a 3M tape attachment system that has two parts and strong magnets, so no drilling was necessary and can be removed pretty easily. It also has a silence button for when cooking in the kitchen. It has an unobtrusive red light that blinks every once in a while to confirm the battery is still good and changes to a faster yellow blinking light when the battery is going bad. Seems like a pretty good size with good features for a Westy. Relatively inexpensive, too. I'm not sure about my placement, but there's really no good place on the pop top ceiling (didn't want to try sticking it to the felt liner stuff). I'm curious as to where others have placed their smoke detectors or if anyone else is even using them. https://amzn.to/2OYb5VI

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

New t-stat to coolant tower hose installed. Only slight discomfort, expected an all-nighter. Just letting it warm up, to see what blows next..

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Vanlife Geek wrote:
This time I went with a little more aggressive tread, the General Tire Grabber ATX (215/75R 15), which was a little less expensive, too. The Grabbers also have the "Three Peak" snow rating.

Congrats! I've been happy with the Grabber ATX so far.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Vanlife Geek wrote:
This time I went with a little more aggressive tread, the General Tire Grabber ATX (215/75R 15), which was a little less expensive, too. The Grabbers also have the "Three Peak" snow rating.

Congrats! I've been happy with the Grabber ATX so far.

Thanks! Good to hear you're happy so far.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I, too, have been satisfied with my Grabbers- they served me well in dicey snow/ice conditions, though I have noticed a bit of a decrease in power climbing hills.
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 556, 557, 558 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 557 of 630

Jump to: