Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 557, 558, 559 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
I, too, have been satisfied with my Grabbers- they served me well in dicey snow/ice conditions, though I have noticed a bit of a decrease in power climbing hills.

Cool, good to hear. I was climbing a hill back to where I'm staying and didn't notice any power loss, so I'm happy. All aligned now, too.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RasBobre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

My air cooled 1981 Westfalia Vanagon passed CA smog in Truckee! Salty failed miserably the first try and after $4200 work of work it passed with single digits. Fortunately I live in a small portion of Placer County that only has to smog with a transfer of sale. I think that may be awhile. It's now down in Sacramento at the Kombi Haus for a North Westy Sunbrella canvas.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Blakesinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Not the most glamorous, but I'm taking care of the essentials. Swapped out all the rubber fuel lines, and replaced the fuel filter set up yesterday.

No pictures of the rubber in the engine bay, but I did those too.

Feelsgoodman.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blakesinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Also drained the gear oil today. Fluid wasn't that gross, but figured it's good to start fresh with a new-to-me van.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I installed vintage MBQuart crossovers behind the glovebox.

Crossover Behind Glovebox by Patrick Brown, on Flickr

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

... also installed late model Westy style A/C controls in the dash. It's installed very slightly more to the right than the stock location to give the radio location some future room. It's always fun when I get out the air saw.

IMG_0799 - My Install by Patrick Brown, on Flickr

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I also changed my oil and filter but no photo for that one.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
RasBobre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

North Westy Sunbrella Canvas installed by the Kombi Haus in Sacramento. New windshield too.

pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I modified my tach so it will work with my Subaru engine swap.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Blakesinclair wrote:
Not the most glamorous, but I'm taking care of the essentials. Swapped out all the rubber fuel lines, and replaced the fuel filter set up yesterday.

No pictures of the rubber in the engine bay, but I did those too.

Feelsgoodman.

I would highly suggest some new rubber isolators on that pump and to clean the ground contact/change that connector. There is also the fuel filter holder missing completely from your set-up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Started work on installing a low coolant alarm for my van. Being previously air-cooled, now with a 1.8t, I had no way of identifying if the van ever became low on coolant. I only had a temp gauge to monitor via OBDII. I wanted something a bit more in case of sudden coolant loss. This setup uses a capacitance type sensor that is attached to the side of the coolant expansion tank bottle. When the fluid level drops below the sensor, the alarm will sound and LED will flash. No drilling into there tank required.

Link

2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
Blakesinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The exhaust on my 85 is a mess. Cracks at the elbows and most of the gaskets were busted. So I found a 1.9L from a guy on Craigslist for pretty cheap. Yesterday I took all old exhaust off and as I'm trying to get the rear crossover pipes on, it's not fitting. Nothing is lining up with the collection pipe. So I laid it down next to my old one and sure enough, it's the 2.1 system.

I've never really seen either un-installed, so I figured it was correct. It's in pretty good shape so I'm not worried about re-selling it, just annoyed I spent a couple hours re-installing my old crusty exhaust.

At least all the hard work of replacing old exhaust studs, gaskets and rusted nuts/bolts is over. So when the day comes, replacing or properly repairing won't be so bad.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Changed oil and filter, replaced fuel filter. 5-way tire rotation. Lubed shift rods, susp. bushings and rubber mounts. Cleaned and oiled K&N air filter.
Found leaking A/C Schraeder valve.

That's it for today.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Blakesinclair wrote:
The exhaust on my 85 is a mess. Cracks at the elbows and most of the gaskets were busted. So I found a 1.9L from a guy on Craigslist for pretty cheap. Yesterday I took all old exhaust off and as I'm trying to get the rear crossover pipes on, it's not fitting. Nothing is lining up with the collection pipe. So I laid it down next to my old one and sure enough, it's the 2.1 system.

I've never really seen either un-installed, so I figured it was correct. It's in pretty good shape so I'm not worried about re-selling it, just annoyed I spent a couple hours re-installing my old crusty exhaust.

At least all the hard work of replacing old exhaust studs, gaskets and rusted nuts/bolts is over. So when the day comes, replacing or properly repairing won't be so bad.

It took me 10 seconds to realize that was a leaf near your right croc, and not a protruding toe. Laughing
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16
🚐 1987 Westy, EJ22 small car conversion
🚗 1991 e30 325i Sport MTech II coupe
📸 instagram.com/joyfilledpursuit
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Pulled the WonderVan out of the garage after a long winter's nap...good fuel & oil
pressure, no lifter noise, but some chirps from the alt belt. Snugged up the belt &
blew some dust off on the highway... Very Happy

On return, looked into sporadic hazard lights operation...pulled apart & cleaned up
connections inside the switch...perfect! Very nice quality time with the van today... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Retorqued lugnuts. Gave it a drive thru wash. Applied dressing to tires and trim.
Took a short drive down by the beach. Looking sharp!

'86 Syncro tintop

andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

new muffler,

union171
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

So... here's a slight updated first post.. thanks over the years for info to keep it rolling.

put 3.5 inch kickers in my rear tintop(tankbeast) 83.5 speaker pods- connected to amp- connected to new sounds... I've been waiting on this upgrade a long.. long ...time

1. Pop screens out, carefully- thanks to previous speaker post found.
2. punch out disintegrated old speakers-- fell apart.. hammer and flathead screwdriver did the rest.
3. Dremel out some extra space on inner plastic shell line.
4. Touch up wiring. Ran new speaker line from amp under front seat, under flooring to the back and up.
5. Slap speakers in. Non attached or screwed in yet... (various reasons)-- (testiing sound with 12's subwoofers installed back in 95' //etc// wiring skills check...

6. Utilize badly needed rear speaker mounts... finally found a few -- replace screens over new speakers

7. Rock n Roll. There's hope.

Have some fun Smile

Last edited by union171 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:21 am; edited 2 times in total
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

This may be of some use to interested parties:

1) Several years after new paint job I noticed cracks in paint at body seams, orange rust stains showing.
I applied Loctite Extend Rust Neutralizer to the cracks with a q-tip. After two applications the rust turned black, indicating successful conversion. Cracks can now be filled with touchup paint.

2) Tire dressing: I don't like the "wet look" and I refuse to apply armorall. I have used 303 protectant with acceptable results for many years.
When I purchased new tires for my other car recently, the dealer used a product called Tire Shine. Made in USA by REMA TIP TOP, P/N 90017. Package describes it as a "Water based Silicone Dressing, Non-Hazardous and VOC Compliant."
I was pleasantly surprised by this product- it dries to a non-greasy semigloss finish on tires, does not appear to attract dust and has withstood several car washes relatively intact.

I did not find this product locally, so I returned to the dealer and got a bottle from him. I used this yesterday on tires, grilles, bumper ends etc.
Results are promising.

'86 Syncro tintop

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 557, 558, 559 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 558 of 630

Jump to: