Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 558, 559, 560 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

91 2.1 Automatic 347K miles, 28K miles since engine refresh.

What did I do to my van today? Yesterday? Last month?

Not a damn thing. It has been running just so perfectly for the past year. There is nothing to do. It has been kind of boring. I crawl around, look and poke here and there looking for something, but it just does what it's supposed to do.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Careful there...that's just asking for trouble.

<crosses fingers, knocks wood, rabbit's foot, throw salt...>

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Neil Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Did a little chopping today. Cut out the front of the drivers B-pillar to investigate a little hole that occurred when I pulled at a bit of loose underseal...
OK, i knew that the inner sill was crispy, and I replaced the outer sill about 8 years ago, but until I did the passenger side a few years back I didn't really know much about how the inner and outer B-pillar, the strengthener, the jacking point, the inner sill and the outrigger all come together!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Plan for next time I'm in the workshop is to get the remains of the old inner sill cut out and the front of the new inner sill tacked in. I've decided to cut the sill into three sections. Slot the front bit in, slot the rear bit in, then get the middle bit in place before welding it all together properly. Seems a better way of doing it than to have to get the jacking points and trailing arm mounts out of the way.
'86 Scirocco special project - still measuring up...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I drove mine.

Doesn't sound impressive, I know, but this was my first drive of a clutch since my knee replacement four weeks ago. So, YAY ME.

I drove crap to the dump, went to physical therapy, went to my body shop expert (April 26 is the target date), and searched for a shrimp plant across the street from the shop I used to go to for all of my VWs for 30 years before the gold standard owner sold it to a rat bastard.

Then, I took my dog for a run on some trails while I hobbled about cane-free. (There's another thread about dogs and I forgot to take a pic. Crying or Very sad Can't blame it on the meds since I've been off for two weeks.)

I hope to have meaningful updates soon. YAY ME. Laughing
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

That's a really nice even dissection, Neil! Well on your way to having a much stronger rear suspension, haha. Doesn't it seem crazy that you were driving around with your trailing arm attached to rust?
Neil Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
That's a really nice even dissection, Neil! Well on your way to having a much stronger rear suspension, haha. Doesn't it seem crazy that you were driving around with your trailing arm attached to rust?

After years of doing Beetles, I've got quite good at working out how panels are assembled into a complete shell, and a bus is just a bigger, more complex shell! I've got front and rear arches to fit too, so I don't mind cutting the arch out of the way to get to the sill end.
It is quite a worry how the trailing arm attaches just to pure rust, but as the arm itself was also showing signs of corrosion, it got a new spring mount that I made from the remains of an old projector mount from my classroom! Well, it was the correct thickness steel!
At least the arm wasn't broken, like i found the one the other side was a few years ago. Found it while camping so had a very slow and careful drive home...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I completed my aux battery project tonight. I have a heated Battle Born 100ah LiFePo4 battery. I will build a plywood wall to the right to keep the storage away from the electrics.

Charging is via Redarc DC/DC charger with 100w of solar. There is a Victron shunt for battery monitoring.

Now I need to start adding some creature comforts.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
Neil Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Had my second Covid jab on Tuesday, so felt like crap yesterday. Done more today though - front section of inner sill is in, and remade the outside edge of the crossmember. Found some decent thickness steel at school, and as a bonus, its galvanised! Got some quite frankly embarrassing welds to knock down but running out of time - caretakers want us out by 4 and I like to finish welding at least half an hour before I leave.

Inner B-post next. Been making cardboard templates but might do it kn sections out of the galvanised stuff. Its thicker than stock, so hopefully it'll take longer to rot through too...
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Galvanized or powder coated? I hope you aren't welding galvanized steel, zinc becomes really toxic when heated. I like your use of self taping screws to hold it in place while welding.
Neil Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Galvanized or powder coated? I hope you aren't welding galvanized steel, zinc becomes really toxic when heated. I like your use of self taping screws to hold it in place while welding.

It is galvanised, but I do make sure i grind the zinc off the areas where I'm going to weld. The nice thing about this stuff is that it was as thick as the outrigger material, not just body panel thickness. Dodgy things done safely!

The screws are called tek screws, and they are self drilling too. I use them for panel work a lot - stick an 8mm socket on the 1/4" to hex drive adaptor in my cordless drill and locate the panels. Pulls them in nice and tight, allows for plug welds in between and when I'm done I actually drill the outer hole bigger so I can plug weld those holes up and catch the rear panel too.
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I was thinking my van was looking a little drab, so I got a new blanket to cover the rear bench. With my new dog, Willow, the olive drab cover was showing every bit of dirt, bone bits, paw prints, etc. Maybe this new blanket will hide the mess a little better.

So, what do you like better, Olive Drab or Colorful Rasta?
Before (Drab):

After (Westafari):

I also put two layers of 1.5" memory foam on the seat. It had been beaten down over the years and was almost 3" lower than the seat back and rear foam when folded out into the bed configuration. Plus, my butt was getting sore. It's my office and living room, so I spend a bunch of time sitting there and was tired of a sore butt. It's super comfy now. There was enough foam left over to extend from shoulders to hips on the upstairs bed and I can still fold the bed up and lower the pop-top without removing the 1.5" layer of foam.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I did the laborious chore of putting on a Wheelskins leather cover on my steering wheel today. Took me a little over an hour. Looks and feels great, but I'm glad I only have one steering wheel.

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aidanp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Fitted the GoWesty front seatbelt receiver extensions. Very nice little modification.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Vanlife Geek wrote:
I did the laborious chore of putting on a Wheelskins leather cover on my steering wheel today. Took me a little over an hour. Looks and feels great, but I'm glad I only have one steering wheel.

So very worth it. Your hands will thank you on long trips.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomkat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

FINALLY installed the GoWesty Rainfly I bought before COVID.

Just in time for some sunny PNW summer camping!

90 Bordeaux (Wine Wagon) Syncro Westy
87 Flash Silver (Silver Slug) Syncro Westy (1996-2011)
86 Bronze Beige Metallic Westy (Tourist Delivery - 1996)
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Vanlife Geek wrote:

From the positive reviews I've read, I think you're right. Sounds like you're speaking from experience.

One thing that was really bugging me was when it was super humid, like after a rain, the steering wheel would "shed" kind of a sticky, dirt like substance onto my hands. No matter how much I cleaned and scrubbed the wheel, it would still happen. I assume it's just the steering wheel material flaking off due to age. This will hopefully eliminate that odd occurrence as well as add comfort. Has anyone else experienced this shedding?
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I ordered a stereo & speakers, and picked up the stereo.

I also went to the dump to the dump to the dump dump dump.

Cool
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Vanlife Geek wrote:
anyone else experienced this shedding?

Yup, was "normal" from the line of other VWs I've had..

So I'm not sure how long mine took, and I took some advice on soaking the leather in water a while first. I really like mine, too!! BUT, I've heard a second wrap (soaked about 10 hours in water) is where the comfort really comes on strong. I haven't gone there, yet.. Might be a little larger size for the second skin tho, still researching.
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Vanlife Geek wrote:
anyone else experienced this shedding?

Yup, was "normal" from the line of other VWs I've had..

So I'm not sure how long mine took, and I took some advice on soaking the leather in water a while first. I really like mine, too!! BUT, I've heard a second wrap (soaked about 10 hours in water) is where the comfort really comes on strong. I haven't gone there, yet.. Might be a little larger size for the second skin tho, still researching.

Are you saying you'd use two on one wheel? I'd be curious to see if that turns out to be worth it. I've never heard of using two. I think I'll stick with one for a while, or forever. I camp more than I drive, so probably not worth even a consideration for me. I'm just happy I got one and the installation is done.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Vanlife Geek wrote:

So agree with that...... Smile Smile Smile
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 558, 559, 560 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 559 of 630

Jump to: