Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 561, 562, 563 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

[quote="andy52"]
jimf909 wrote:

https://www.mecatechnic.com/es-ES/moqueta-nailon-n...B28152.htm

looks very nice!

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed Land Rover mirrors with VanGuy adapters.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Had my oil light start flashing and the buzzer on Friday, while cruising at freeway speeds.. Around 3800 RPM. This was after about an hour of freeway driving. Flipped the ignition off to kill the engine, and coasted to a stop on the siding. A quick look around came up with no immediate issues being obvious. Plenty of oil, engine not very hot, temp sensor sitting on top of engine case above the 3-4 side was around 155F. Temp needle agreed that engine temps were lowish.

There was an exit about 1/2 mile away, so I started it up and got to the exit, shutting down the engine and coasting as I got close to the exit. No strange engine noises, nothing unusual except the flasher and buzzer indicating oil issue.

Took my mat back out and laid down underneath for about 20 minutes, feeling around and looking at the oil pressure switch wires, etc. Noting obvious.

Probably a dumb thing, but I drove home, nothing happening like throwing a rod, etc.. Everything seemed good!!!

Had to dig in my pile of stuff not yet installed, found my RJE kit with electric OP sender, new .3 and .9 bar switches, drained oil, removed filter, and installed the kit. Wired the VDO OP gauge, and filled up with Mobile 1 synthetic 0W40 (not my usual Castrol 20W50) and new Mann filter.

On start, VDO gauge showed ~45 psi at idle for a while (outdoors temps were 85F today). As the oil warmed up the pressure started to fall, and when I hit the throttle a bit, the oil flasher and buzzer came back on. Pressure gauge being a new to me thing, I don't know what was happening previously when the flasher and buzzer were not going off.. Next, I will need to find a mechanical pressure gauge, and determine where to focus my attention. Hot OP is low, but not zero, I'll know how low when I find a mechanical gauge.

Question: if the pressure is ok, and the leads to the switches are ok, what else can cause the oil flasher/buzzer to go on like this? Blue Foil going bad?

-bobby
1971BugGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I made some new door panels to go with the seat covers I made last spring.

(I ran out of high-heat adhesive so the driver door will have to wait until my Amazon order arrives)

1971 Super Beetle
1986 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^ Wow!

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yesterday: mostly tweaks to house battery...wired in controller for portable solar panel, connected
everything & I made electricity! Also added Bluetooth monitors & shore charger for both batteries.

Quality, productive van/garage time... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Spectacular!

BCE56 wrote:
^^ Wow!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

i couldnt resist

https://i.imgur.com/uNZ4p6N.mp4
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:
^^ Wow!
. X 2. Shocked Shocked Cool Cool
VERY impressive.... Applause Applause Applause
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Bobby, you told us what the cold oil pressure was but not what it was when it warmed up or when the buzzer and light came on.

A helpful link.

https://www.vanagain.com/article/troubleshoot-the-oil-light-and-buzzer

I am using a JEG digital gauge with the GlowShift Adapter for a oil pressure port. Super easy, works well.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Dave,

The alarms go off (meaning it makes the alarming light and buzzer) at ~2300 PRM, regardless of oil temps or oil pressure. Makes no difference, it just alarms and won't quit until I switch off the ignition. This can just be a quick flip of the switch from on to off to on again, thus not needing to use the starter. The alarm goes off with that, but then alarms again at something like 2300 RPM again.

I took my question to it's own thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=753690

Thanks for the link you mentioned, I am reading through that now.

-bobby
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Swapped out the Snow Tires for my All Seasons. Reminded myself that I still need to try out Silver Paints to match the Silver of the Mefro Rims.... Embarassed Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
ujfischer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Took off the original muffler on my '81 Aircooled as it was sounding like a Harley (the tailpipe flew off on the freeway while driving it back to home base). Had to angle grind the bolts off as 2 weeks of daily application of Deep Creep wouldn't get them to budge.

Put on the new muffler and tailpipe I ordered from Bus Depot. This required me to deform the heat riser tubes significantly through the generous application of the raw force of a hammer. Sits very well and upon initial start up the noise has dropped precipitously. I hope that there are no issues with banging on the tubes to the degree that I did.

Washed off the entire exterior (along with a large amount of paint) and polished the entire body (3hr process). Looks as good as new!

Next steps (no particular order): install new clutch (Bus Depot clutch kit), new valve gaskets, new shifter bushings (old ones are dust), reverse light switch, odometer (no idea), oil pressure gauge

I promise my next update won't be as long Smile
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Mine has a slow leak on the right-front. I've dunk tested it with no conclusive result so for now I'm inflating as required until I can fix it. It's been sitting a few weeks so instead of firing up the compressor I thought I'd see how difficult it would be with a bicycle floor pump. 250 strokes to reach 40 PSI.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
250 strokes to reach 40 PSI.

What was the pressure when you started?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:

Always a great upper body+core workout... Wink

- Dave

Blakesinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced the old destroyed horn ring. Beep beep kids are stoked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Oil change, new LED H3 high beam bulbs & VanAgain acrylic headlight protectors:

Good, clean fun... Cool

- Dave

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
campism wrote:

What was the pressure when you started?

Barely registered on the pencil gauge. The tire was not blatantly low to people who don't pay attention to their tires, probably under 10 PSI.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Turned 320,000 miles (odometer anyway) on 35W northbound Mlps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 561, 562, 563 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 562 of 629

Jump to: