Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 564, 565, 566 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Added the GoWesty Altn. Field circuit harness kit to stop having to rev the engine up to get the system charging. It works... instant charging. Cool Cool

Replaced my Engine Air Filter during inspection of it, found fairly large mouse nest on the bottom side. No signs of mice in the 10cc Air tubing portion of the Oil Cooler kit, and not above the filter either, hoping they left the premises awhile ago.

Topped off oil, and added Techron to Gas Tank

Eye'd up where I'm mounting the Fuel Injection System Fuse holder I bought at NAPA today, I need to fuse that unprotected circuit like others have done in the engine bay. Overdue on that project....

Forget that fuse holder! So yesterday!
They now make a fused relay..... works GREAT!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:
Added the GoWesty Altn. Field circuit harness kit to stop having to rev the engine up to get the system charging. It works... instant charging. Cool Cool

Replaced my Engine Air Filter during inspection of it, found fairly large mouse nest on the bottom side. No signs of mice in the 10cc Air tubing portion of the Oil Cooler kit, and not above the filter either, hoping they left the premises awhile ago.

Eye'd up where I'm mounting the Fuel Injection System Fuse holder I bought at NAPA today, I need to fuse that unprotected circuit like others have done in the engine bay. Overdue on that project....

Dave

I bought some of those , BUT, the relay quality is an unknown to me. Currently I use two known high quality FORD relays out of a Land Rover Fusebox in the Relay Box near the junction box. 40 amp rating and we’ve seen how these hold up over the years, so good quality.
Not sure who made them for FORD.
I’ll use one of my Amazon fused relays to power up the Fog Lights once I get to wiring them up in the next few days.
The fuse holder I bought for the fuel injection circuit is a fairly sealed unit with a built in mounting bracket. I’ll mount that outside the junction box so it’s easy to get to and marked as well .
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
djkeev wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

Dave

I bought some of those , BUT, the relay quality is an unknown to me. Currently I use two known high quality FORD relays out of a Land Rover Fusebox in the Relay Box near the junction box. 40 amp rating and we’ve seen how these hold up over the years, so good quality.
Not sure who made them for FORD.
I’ll use one of my Amazon fused relays to power up the Fog Lights once I get to wiring them up in the next few days.
The fuse holder I bought for the fuel injection circuit is a fairly sealed unit with a built in mounting bracket. I’ll mount that outside the junction box so it’s easy to get to and marked as well .

I've been running them for 4,000 miles now.
A mere drop in the time bucket I know.
I admit, I carry the standard relays just in case.
But the ease and breadth of protection is absolutely worth the experiment.
Anytime I can "improve" something that requires zero modifications to the unit, I'll take that route,

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Cleaned it some. Scraped off old purple auto part store tint.
New wiper blades.
Looked for mouse poop. Fortunately haven't found any inside.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yet another ignition switch for my '87. 14 days shy of 1 year on the recently replaced one.

Oh, and drove the '86 Auto up to the highway and back, just to top up the start batt. I do agree, I will certainly become easily accustomed to the he Automatic Transmission!!

The bone Stock 2.1... hmm, not so much. Game On, in my fearless quest for 10 more ponies on the stock 2.1!! Hey Marco, what's your Polo on 1.35/1's Wink .. It's just money, right?

-bobby
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Yet another ignition switch for my '87. 14 days shy of 1 year on the recently replaced one.

Oh, and drove the '86 Auto up to the highway and back, just to top up the start batt. I do agree, I will certainly become easily accustomed to the he Automatic Transmission!!

The bone Stock 2.1... hmm, not so much. Game On, in my fearless quest for 10 more ponies on the stock 2.1!! Hey Marco, what's your Polo on 1.35/1's Wink .. It's just money, right?

-bobby
. Saw your thread about the ignition switch- while parts quality for this part does get suspect, get or borrow an inductive DC amp meter and measure your starter solenoid circuit during cranking to see if the circuit consistently pulls high amps. While lowering amp draw during cranking won’t cure suspect part quality, it might lengthen service life of the switch for you.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added the 'Westfalia' stickers to my freshly epoxied pop-top! They're the 'incorrect' ones with the 'square-L', but I'm not a purist by any means. Actually ordered the 'GoWesty' ones with every intention of chopping off the 'Go' and having my van say 'Westy', but GoWesty accidentally shipped me the full 'Westfalia' stickers instead, so I took it as a sign from God to use them.

Then I changed my ignition switch (speaking of ignition switches, in the posts above) for a chronic no-start condition, threw the old switch in the garbage just as the garbage truck arrived, put the new switch in...

SAME NO START

I then watched my (perfectly good) used switch driving away down the street inside the garbage truck. This made me sad.

Today's project - drag the air-cooled 2.0 engine and auto trans out from under my van, and pressure-wash and scrub every inch of the engine bay. Then drop the fuel tank a little and swap over the manual transmission mount into the chassis, then start adding the new clutch line, wiring harness, water and heater lines under the van. Great summer day to be working on stuff.

Hope everyone out there has a great day putzing around on their vans!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AND thought I would add a pic of the top as it looked when I first got it:

leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Now I know all you professionals recommend removing your engine and transmission every six months in order to get a really good engine bay cleaning done, so I finally got around to that too. Spic and span! ALSO rounded out a hex axle bolt - I was sweating bullets. Pounded in a 12-point bit and got it out, praise Thor.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Was consumed today with what exactly was wrong in my radiator fan system. While I tracked down where there was voltage, etc., it became clear that the actual problem is the ground. That, of course is above the fuse panel. I am pretty sick of dropping the fuse panel, so for a temporary solution (like this week I've got a few miles to roll) I found a good spot hidden behind the spare to make another ground location for the radiator fan. Kind of a PITA, especially since I run a slightly larger than stock set of tires--and the spare is also that size. Getting the spare back in place was probably the most taxing portion of the 'work' today.

While looking at page 97.200, I became aware that there is a Secondary radiator fan relay. I don't think so, but are there paths that use a relay for the ground? It is just hard to imagine the very large ground wire that comes from the fan to become disconnected, thus wondering if there is a mechanism failure. Plus, I'm not all that good at reading schematics.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Dug around the forum until I found solution to my '86's no flahing of the indicators or hazards.. Relay numbered "21" in position 12. Thanks TS!!
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Running coolant lines, new wiring, new fuel lines, heater hoses, a new clutch line and the manual shifter linkage, pulling out the BA6 gas heater and just enjoying how rust-free my little van is. The PO loved it and it shows. Pleasure to work on.

Well, 'pleasure', relatively speaking. I assume that if any part of a Volkswagen was ever found to be easily accessible or there had been any room left to squeeze in your fingers or a wrench, there would be BIG trouble at VW headquarters. The head of VW would storm down from the 350th floor (in a needlessly complicated elevator full of extraneous gears and vacuum tubes and inexplicable wiring) and personally fire the engineer responsible.

Hope all you nuts are having a good week! Smile

Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

leecat wrote:

Well, 'pleasure', relatively speaking. I assume that if any part of a Volkswagen was ever found to be easily accessible or there had been any room left to squeeze in your fingers or a wrench, there would be BIG trouble at VW headquarters. The head of VW would storm down from the 350th floor (in a needlessly complicated elevator full of extraneous gears and vacuum tubes and inexplicable wiring) and personally fire the engineer responsible.

Ha! I was literally thinking the same today (tho on a much less ambitious scale).

Replacing a broken exhaust mount on my AAZ - in order to insert a bolt fastening the bushing to the mount on the exhaust side you had to pre-mount the bushing to the oil pan mount, lever a reluctant exhaust system to move 1/2” in order to fit the posts through and then somehow tighten the head since you have to leave it loose to swivel the whole thing in....and that bolt better be not a 1/2 mm too long! crimney! They did engineer an indent in the engine mount strut to trap your wrench....

The rest of it - beginning with a three month old bailing wire fix;

Dropping the skid plate for like the 30th time this year (another engineering marvel);

After more swearing than five 13mm bolts deserve;

I probably ruined the other side after levering the exhaust about....
HeinleinTrooper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Simple oil and filter change. Pulled the WIX filter and replaced with a MANN filter. Used Mobil 1 15W50.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

"After more swearing than five 13mm bolts deserve;"
words to live by.... Laughing Laughing
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Stripped out the interior today to discover....

No rust! Yay! Was very pleased.

leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Interesting tidbit for the general knowledge base - the air-cooled chassis has a true oval opening in the front firewall for a heater tube, where the water-cooled has an elongated oval for the heater hoses/cable opening. Had to fabricate a new panel from 1/2" plate rubber when adding heater hoses to my early Van. The water-cooled rubber (foreground in the pic) is not even close to fitting the older opening.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Observed 226F on my digital readout, sensor located above water jacket over 3-4 cylinders. Analogue needle was a little higher than 'normal' but still touching the LED, no flashing. Probable that the PO's strange little computer and sensor are well beyond shelf life, but still useful. That was due to traffic in the Metro, freaking flying along, and the nardly white Toyota Sequoia behind me was right the F on my tail.. Suck my fumes!! .. Well, anyway, there was absolutely no way for me to get in the slow lane for nearly 5 minutes, as it was about as close to bumper to bumper as I've been in for a long while.. "Rush Hour" traffic.. Admittedly, Mrs. Black yelled at me from the rear, saying WTF was going on! I motioned to my ear -can't hear you- and pointed to the mirror.. the engine gets a bit loud at 88(ish?)MPH, and the turd wasn't letting up.. Finally found an open hole and let the traffic pass.. it took a good 30 minutes to get back below 212F at 65MPH.

My moto is "stay out of the way", and I'll stick to that when I get stopped.

About 2 minutes after I was able to get in the slow lane, saw a Patrol squad in the oncoming traffic, just luck this time. Did NOT see that Toyota pulled over. Kind of pissed me off.

Turned 321K miles. MPG overall on the ~300 mile trip today, about 19.2. So much lovely time at ~60 (non-freeway) was a relief.

White Knuckles!!

-bobby
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

226f won't intimidate the OE needle much anyways.. the factory wasn't concerned with such pedestrian numbers as we tend to fixate on.
it's not HOT till it gets to 250*..

even in the 99-08 passats the gauge had numbers but was a dummy gauge.
OBD-II values weren't reflected in the instrument cluster 'values'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

It's critical to have air flow to your steering rack, as all professionals know. Thank God I have the early ventilated rack boots to assist in that, nothing worse than an overheating rack because the boots are too airtight.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Get the silicone ones fun Altic (sp?) In Hawaii. I'm classified ads.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 564, 565, 566 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 565 of 629

Jump to: