Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 565, 566, 567 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

leecat wrote:
It's critical to have air flow to your steering rack, as all professionals know. Thank God I have the early ventilated rack boots to assist in that, nothing worse than an overheating rack because the boots are too airtight.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Nothing worse than oily, hot rack in rubber.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Nothing worse than oily, hot rack in rubber.

I think you are in the wrong type of forum......

Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
hellvetica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

A busy morning replacing all the belts, installing a new intake elbow (the OEM was torn in half), and replaced all the spark plug wires. So nice not to hear the embarrassing squeal when firing her up.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

OOoh - thanks for the reminder - 'order new alternator belt!' Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

got off early kuz of summer hours on Friday, AND last week doing Freeway speeds, I became aware that I needed to get my new front tires balanced. So, GoodYear, hey "got a spot for that?" Oh ya, it'll be 'about an hour, hand over your keys' -- Nope, I'll just be in my bus till you're ready. Good plan, the guy said "Ya, I had a beetle when I was a kid" but I had to keep hinting on about "press down on the shifter" and "the hand brake is under your right elbow."

Well, anyway, tomorrow I will see how Freeway speeds go, now that GY did that schlock jorb.

BUT, the guy who eventually did do a decent jorb of it, made sure to mention that my bearings were just a tad loose. YES, I did, just last week, do my bearings, and I did certainly follow the agreed on guidelines for how tight to get them.. Mercedes clamps, should be a good 30 minute project for the morning..
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Annnnd,

Wanted Mrs. Black to come out and observe, for a bit of Bus time, and to see my safety procedures, etc. I had a good time telling her exactly how and why each bit was where, fun. It made my 30 minute jorb an hour though.

Anyway, The guy yesterday was correct, bearings had gotten a bit looser than when installed 'new' so good thing to check them.

I have not heard of the need to re-tighten new bearings after a week or so.. Is that evidence of crap bearings, or just an oddball thing that happened to me?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Annnnd,

Wanted Mrs. Black to come out and observe, for a bit of Bus time, and to see my safety procedures, etc. I had a good time telling her exactly how and why each bit was where, fun. It made my 30 minute jorb an hour though.

Anyway, The guy yesterday was correct, bearings had gotten a bit looser than when installed 'new' so good thing to check them.

I have not heard of the need to re-tighten new bearings after a week or so.. Is that evidence of crap bearings, or just an oddball thing that happened to me?

You usually don't need to double check though checking never hurt.

It is the initial tightening procedure that matters.
Spinning the wheel as you tighten the bearings, backing off and repeating.
It will spin smoothly and adjust fir your desired play.
Lock it up!
It should be fine.

The mercedes nuts are a HUGE plus over that stupid dent the nut idea!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Syncro passed smog yesterday. Cool (Always an adventure, because- reasons.)
Sniffed pretty clean:
HC Idle =12, 2500 RPM=4
CO Idle = 0.00, 2500 RPM = 0.00

Still working on that pesky A/C...

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I have been on a few topics here in the past several weeks -- some started by me, some with follow-up questions to topics started by others. I didn't know exactly where to post some things and I didn't want to reply to several threads.

I just returned this weekend from FAS in Maine with my Sinka which had been there for about a month. Some of that story is in the 1,000-mile thread. The inverted timing belt tensioner and the tiny injection pump gasket that came from Europe were the headlines mentioned there.

Sinka got a complete look-over and service. The injectors were rebuilt. A full timing belt service was performed, and correctly this time as opposed to whoever did it for the previous owner. Sinka also got a new fuel filter, filter valve, air filter, hoses, tubes and other stuff I can't remember.

Sinka also got a replacement cradle bar, rear axle, wheel bearings, seals, etc. Everything was dialed in and aligned. I don't have any interesting pics for any of this. All I can say, it drives like a champ now. I'll figure out my gas mileage when I get the time to convert kilometers to miles.

Here are two pics:

They are my new Land Rover mirrors. I love not having any blind spots. I need to get used to backing up with the convex distortion. I backed up at a convenience store during my return trip after getting diesel, and thought, "That's good enough." When I got out and looked back at Sinka, I was within three inches of hitting the building with my tailgate.

Also in the second pic you can see the freshly installed door speakers, the Go Westy extended window crank, and the ABS door panel that's sold here on theSamba and on eBay. Everything fits so nicely and, like the mirrors, still looks quite stock. I also got the interior rearview mirror replaced with a day/night version.

Above you can see the new Pioneer head unit. I listened to one CD on the way back, but I need to get the PDF of the owner's manual as the functions I want are buried in the menu selections along with a whole bunch of other features I will likely ignore. It sounded surprisingly good for just having door speakers that's half-blocked by a dash. I haven't decided if I will add speakers or not -- mainly because I'm not sure of their placement.

Also in the pic, my new cigarette lighter. Actually, the lighter itself is in the ashtray. That's a rechargeable torch (flashlight). I used it to keep my phone charged. I still think it's weird Sinka had an ashtray but no lighter.

And for my driving pleasure, I now have a working speedo and tach meant for a JX diesel. The digital clock was a bonus. And speaking of bonuses, one of my next plans was to replace the pitiful windshield wipers with nice 19/21-inch wipers. I wasn't expecting that to get done on this venture but there they were waiting for me. I got some rain in Connecticut so I was immediately happier.

I also now have a working horn and reverse lights. The list was long and I may have forgotten some stuff. I thought it was nice driving with its faults. I'm amazed how nicely it drives now.
R. Deschain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

scored a set of new 215r75 TA BFG tires and 15" steel rims and a cherry set of origional DasMule Rock sliders for my '87 Syncro

https://www.youtube.com/mattofmanytrades
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Doing some maintenance on my daughter's van... and oh no..

Everybody knows the Tom and Jerry cartoon... right?
and everybody loves and sides with Jerry... right? -

…ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ 🐭 🐁

and here is what Jerry was doing with the air filter in her van... now I have to find a way to block him... best is to do it on all our vans...

Any good ideas are welcome... Very Happy

thanks

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Wrap the filter element in hardware cloth, small 1/4" mesh if you can find it. A strip long and wide enough to shield the paper portion should work.

On my own van I recharged the A/C and it's now back to cooling adequately on fan setting 1.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:

That there mouse got in the filter area somehow... Stop that egress. I'd use chicken wire in the area around the intake on the passenger side. Also, I do admit to use of brute force with these kind of vermin... Jaguar blocks have been the best for me, but I am clearly an inhumane person.
https://www.amazon.com/Motomco-Jaguar-Mouse-Chunx-...amp;sr=8-1
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
Doing some maintenance on my daughter's van... and oh no..

Everybody knows the Tom and Jerry cartoon... right?
and everybody loves and sides with Jerry... right? -

…ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ 🐭 🐁

and here is what Jerry was doing with the air filter in her van... now I have to find a way to block him... best is to do it on all our vans...

Any good ideas are welcome... Very Happy

thanks

I feel your pain. I removed a mouse nest from under my air filter just recently. No eating of the filter itself, but like you, I need to add a metal mesh to my air inlet pipe/hose to prevent another nest. Once quirk with my earlier '84 filter housing is that the water drain holes on the bottom of the housing are just large enough to allow a tiny mouse to squeeze through[ it's amazing of how small a space they can cram their bodies through!!!].
So, do I mesh the water drain holes while I'm at it....... Think Think Think
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

There's only one way for the mouse get in there is the flat air intake up high in passenger side D pillar. There's no hole in the the intake duct, the mouse even passed thru the Syncro air cyclone I added.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
There's only one way for the mouse get in there is the flat air intake up high in passenger side D pillar. There's no hole in the the intake duct, the mouse even passed thru the Syncro air cyclone I added.
. So it was an Acrobatic Mouse…. Wink Wink
Blakesinclair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally got around to re-sealing the fuel tank. That was fun

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Used some limeaway and a stiff brush to get the top of my'86 redy for the nest stages of it's life! sorry, no before/after pix.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed The Tank in the '87, no problems before to solve, now there is no voltage on the blue/green wire. Thought I had just done a bad crimp, but nope, no power coming from up front, in the black box.

The Tank is nice!

The No + on the B/G wire is not nice.

Edit:

Took out the #43, no flashing. Huh.. reseated it, works properly now! Cool

Thanks Mark Wink

Here is a expert's advice!!

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I don't know how many times I have mentioned this but here is one more time. To quickly check the cause of the continuos blinking on 86 and newer vans simply pull the coolant level warning relay from the dash relay panel. If the blinking issue is still there with the relay pulled out then you can be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the coolant tank level sensor and its wiring is NOT the cause of the continued blinking.

Mark

And:

crazyvwvanman wrote:
First, make sure you have a #43 or #42 relay plugged into socket position #3 of the fuse/relay panel. Sometimes people remove them and sometimes they are plugged into the wrong spot.

Mark

So, off I go to see if I have a #42 or #43 to try in location 3...

Whew, hope that is 'it'.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 565, 566, 567 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 566 of 629

Jump to: