Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 567, 568, 569 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally installed the last piece of the front suspension puzzle!! HD end links from T3!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
73superduperbeetle wrote:
Turns out the sliding door handle uses a different profile key so I'll have to figure out something else there.

sounds like you have a replacement handle. if you find an original cylinder, you may be able to install it. there is a post on here somewhere

Here's my vid on swapping the lock core on a replacement handle with the original lock core that matches the rest. '80-'85 used a different handle than later years. Depending on what you have it may just be a matter of getting a N code lock core.

Link

Possibly helpful threads...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=553954
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:
In tank fuel pump, lines and fpr.

Wow! Shocked

Did I miss this thread somewhere...???

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Jean-Guy Bernier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I changed the fridge thermostat. Now 37F under ambient.
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced the missing screw that holds in the ignition switch. A previous owner (I assume the same one that hacked the dash wiring) didn't feel the need to have one and was using a couple of zip ties to hold the plastic switch in place. Rolling Eyes

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Much improved! ...but I gotta ask, why torx?

Personally, I hate having to keep a special tool on hand for a couple screws that could just as easily match all the others...

<shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
R. Deschain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I ordered a custom German License plate (Kraftfahrzeug-Kennzeichen or Nummernschilder) for the front of our van that arrived today. It is a 1987 Syncro so I wanted a classic car (kraftfahrtechnisches Kulturgut) plate, which have a red border and letters/numbers. It is not 100% authentic as the plate number does not start with “07” or end with an “H”, but close enough for an American. I did include the HH city designation because we used to live in Hamburg and the city is part of our soul (Hamburg meine Perle!)

We have a RMW front bumper with a 2“ receiver and I decided to make a front plate holder that would deter theft AND be stout enough to plow through snow/bushes/bison, etc... Drew it up in AutoCAD, and sent it to SendCutSend to laser cut the bits out of 0.188” steel. It will be welded onto a section of 2" square .250" tube and I designed the backing structure with weld-through tabs to beef up the structure and will weld it up with a 0.125” border all the way around it and paint it as soon as the parts arrive. I have never been accused of designing to the bare minimum of necessity...

https://www.youtube.com/mattofmanytrades
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Today I got a small box from go westy. So I got to replace both upper ball joints (only 15000 mile old) I wish I could remember where I got them. I replaced the glove box’s straps that have been broken for thirty years. I replaced the widow cranks with go westy high off set window cranks. They are expensive but I have tried several less expensive options that I didn’t like. The go westy window cranks are really nice. A week ago I installed a 11inc hike crew vent fan. Also expensive but really nice. The fan draws .2 amps on low. It opens the vent and turns on the fan at 110 degrees if it rains it automatically closes the vent. Hopefully I will post pictures on the vent in a few days. John
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
^^^ Much improved! ...but I gotta ask, why torx?

Personally, I hate having to keep a special tool on hand for a couple screws that could just as easily match all the others...

<shrug>

- Dave

It was the only screw I could find that would fit. Had to scavenge it off of a bicycle part (syncros twin lock lever to be specific). Just in case, I'll add the little driver bit to my travel tool box.

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Topped off tranny fluid

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9664364#9664364

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Worked on straightening out the wiring including connecting the oil pressure sensor and water temp sensor and was rewarded with two more warning lights in the dash working like they're supposed to.

Also pulled more defunct/non-working stuff. This aftermarket cruise control module was wedged behind the steering column with a pile of wires stuffed behind the fuse panel.

TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Painted the upper grill and mounted the new lower grill that was delivered along with a pile of new fuel lines and seals from gowesty. Also repaired a little more rust and started cleaning up the carpet that I'm not throwing out (not much as it turns out).

TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Resealed the tank and installed gowesty’s filter relocation kit. An engine fuel line kit and plastic bulkhead fitting replacement kit are on standby for the next work session. If this pace keeps up, I should be driving it around next weekend. Very Happy

Ninz306
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

New wires, cap/roader, plugs, injectors, coil, gaskets, oil, filters. Waiting on some fuel line. Will probably change the fuel regulator.

teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added a local ground for the starter after some starting issues on a recent trip. Since I am now using the Westy Ventures adapter with a new starter, the lower starter bolt is different than the stud used with the original starter.

I chose to use the upper starter bolt. There were enough threads to add a 4ga 19" wire from the FLAPS, using a M10 x 1.50 jam nut and a washer.

Careful placement of new ground point below the AFM, using self tapping screw.
I like that the additional ground connection is in the engine bay instead of exposed to the elements.

Also replaced the tranny ground strap for good measure.

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally finished the E-code project (it's only taken a month), including wiring up the city lights to the existing fog light switch (for DRL purposes, particularly on 2-lane highways):

TerraPodz down below, 5 watt-equivalent LEDs for the city lights.

Now, to find a wall and 25 feet of flat ground to aim the suckers!
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Is that your bra hanging down to show these??!!??
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished replacing all the fuel lines from the tank to the engine and back, cleaned up some engine grounds and connectors, installed new mirrors, repaired the big rust hole next to the driver's seat, and fixed the broken speedometer cable (for now at least).

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

73superduperbeetle wrote:
Finished replacing all the fuel lines from the tank to the engine and back, cleaned up some engine grounds and connectors, installed new mirrors, repaired the big rust hole next to the driver's seat, and fixed the broken speedometer cable (for now at least).
Pace yourself, you’re making the rest of us look lazy…l Wink Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yesterday I installed new CV boots along with cleaning and repacking the CVs and went through almost a whole roll of paper towels and several rags, what a mess! Got them reinstalled, but I kept going back and forth on whether I need new CVs since one looks to be original and the other three are aftermarket and don't feel nearly as smooth and freely moving and all have visible wear so went ahead and ordered a set of GKN/Lorbo cv joints to just do it right (the second time!) and be done with it. I also picked up some front seats a friend gave me that he wasn't using after swapping in Town and Country minivan middle seats.

Today, got those front seats cleaned up and swapped in, washed the front carpet and got that back in once it dried, installed new front blower switch and got the heater panel back in, cleaned up a little wiring under the nose and got the spare tire back in place, cleaned up the rest of the interior getting all the tools and stuff out, and then poured in 5gal of gas and ran the engine for a bit to check for leaks. Not a drop of fuel, but there was a small coolant leak at the firewall/bulkhead where the hoses connect to the pipes. one of the clamps was basically stripped so I swapped it out for a much heavier duty one and tightened up the others in that area.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 567, 568, 569 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 568 of 630

Jump to: