Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 568, 569, 570 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^Since you're doing such a good job going through stuff based on your posts, I'd recommend going ahead and replacing the cooling, bow to stern. One old component busting can equal a flat bed and lots of motor stress. Learn from my (and others) mistakes, just bite the bullet and go for it. I'd have avoided two stressful tows if I'd done this (thermostat housing and oil cooler hoses for me).
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
^^Since you're doing such a good job going through stuff based on your posts, I'd recommend going ahead and replacing the cooling, bow to stern. One old component busting can equal a flat bed and lots of motor stress. Learn from my (and others) mistakes, just bite the bullet and go for it. I'd have avoided two stressful tows if I'd done this (thermostat housing and oil cooler hoses for me).

Ugh, but I don't wanna!

You're probably right though. For one thing, the tees to the rear heater look pretty corroded and I'm almost sure the main pipes are original. Maybe I put off the urethane suspension bushings and xhd shocks wheels/tires (and swing out tire carrier and roof rack, etc etc) for a while and replace all the coolant hoses and pipes. Being responsible is so boring. Razz

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced the rubber “boot” at the inside top right of the rear liftgate. This one contains two wires and the clear tubing for the rear window washer (optional equipment). Unless you want to slice open the boot and re-wrap with electrical tape (which kind of defeats the purpose), you will have to splice all three. Used heat-shrink butt connectors for the two wires and a 3/16” brass barb connector for the tubing.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red

Last edited by Red Ryder on Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

73superduperbeetle wrote:
mikemtnbike wrote:

Ugh, but I don't wanna!

You're probably right though. For one thing, the tees to the rear heater look pretty corroded and I'm almost sure the main pipes are original. Maybe I put off the urethane suspension bushings and xhd shocks wheels/tires (and swing out tire carrier and roof rack, etc etc) for a while and replace all the coolant hoses and pipes. Being responsible is so boring. Razz

Van Cafe and others sell metal tee connectors that fit the rear heater hoses as they switch diameter if I remember right on original Vanagons.
The 1.9 steel pipes can often look great except at the ends, especially in the rear. Mine were amazing in shape except right at either end. So, I bit the bullet and installed SS coolant pipes after poking a pinhole in one of the front sections of the pipes with a pocket screwdriver at work while probing for Corrosion.
I FOUND it… Wink Wink Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

73superduperbeetle wrote:
I'm almost sure the main pipes are original.

Way way too many people replace the original plastic coolant pipes. The thought that they are just bad is not based on facts. The reality is that the ends are metal, inserted into the plastic pipe. You can use some epoxy to re-glue them in, if they are coming out. The pipes themselves are rarely a problem. Plus, the optional metal pipes on the market are quite expensive, and hard to fit. Some folks have written many posts about the struggles they went through to get new pipes in, like weeks of delays. I'd suggest you inspect your original pipes, and verify they need replacement prior to that decision. Mine have over 325K miles on them, and are doing just fine.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Bobby, while I agree with you to just R&R the ends on the plastic pipes
her 84 would have come with the metal ones, and they'll burst thru in a hard to inspect spot by the transmission and rear seat firewall.

certainly prudent to get a very close look if you're not going to replace.

there's stainless metal tubes or some have just fine success with 1.25 (iirc for early metal pipes) rubber marine hose in lengths from your local NAPA/marine supply. search in here there's info somewhere. coolant hose conversations are jut as opinionated as oil or tires. so do what works for you.
to save on shipping $$$ to AK. vs shipping long metal pipes in a box.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Ninz306 wrote:
New wires, cap / roader . . .

FYI: "rotor" is what you did there.

Sorry, career school teacher . . . I can't help it.

WORDS MATTER! [/rant]

Wink Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Bobby, while I agree with you to just R&R the ends on the plastic pipes
her 84 would have come with the metal ones, and they'll burst thru in a hard to inspect spot by the transmission and rear seat firewall.

certainly prudent to get a very close look if you're not going to replace.

there's stainless metal tubes or some have just fine success with 1.25 (iirc for early metal pipes) rubber marine hose in lengths from your local NAPA/marine supply. search in here there's info somewhere. coolant hose conversations are jut as opinionated as oil or tires. so do what works for you.
to save on shipping $$$ to AK. vs shipping long metal pipes in a box.

I'll at the very minimum inspect all the coolant pipes and connections and replace a few more janky looking hose clamps (and probably just get all new hoses). And yes, shipping stuff up here can get spendy real fast And if it's me you were referencing about an '84 coming with metal pipes, I'm a him. Smile

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I've got to pay better attention! sorry I can't think outside my '86+ bunch of buses..

So, there IS an alternative to shipping, and I used it many moons ago with other projects. I am quite sure AK folks know things like this still.. Pipe fitting! Specifically, get the tube stock, and take it to or buy it from a muffler shop. The bends are actually not that hard. Many shops even have a programmable machine that bends pipe to spec. There must be someone on the internets that has the bend specs for each of the different models of Vanagon. I know Terry Kay does. But he bends stuff in Chicago, and not sure he'd be willing to share the specs.. Kind of a curmudgeon.

Just find the right stainless steel and have them bend it locally.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally got around to installing my last cabinet- my take on the Headbanger Cabinet, or shelf unit if you like. Baltic Birch 1/2” plywood to keep it lighter. 3/4” Aluminum Square Tubing for the one side support system. I added aluminum fold down hangers for our Kayak Life jackets when we’re storing them on a drive out to water, keeps them off the floor and out of the way.
LED lights and a On/Off Dimmer switch to round it off. Still need to hook the cabinet wiring to the Vanagon, but that can happen later this week. I’m going to be using the unused Rear Speaker Wiring on the right side to get power back there, just need to unearth the rear speaker wiring in the dash that I tied off when installing the radio months and months ago, then tap into a fused circuit with an extension wire at the Fusebox , probably the interior dome light circuit.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added the Van Cafe top struts. The one complication was that the existing Yakima brackets were mounted in the location where the upper pivot is supposed to go, so I had to remove them and flatten the gusset on the mount to allow a hole to be drilled. I figure it's actually a good thing the have the upper mount behind the Yakima plate because it adds strength. I have the 60lb struts installed now, and they really do make raising the top much easier. I bought the kit with both the 60 lb and 120 lb struts, so I'll stow the 120's for use when I have weight up there.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Ninz306 wrote:
New wires, cap / roader . . .

FYI: "rotor" is what you did there.

Sorry, career school teacher . . . I can't help it.

WORDS MATTER! [/rant]

Wink Cool

- Dave

I'm giving the poster the benefit of the doubt and blaming auto-correct. It seems my Apple dictionary knows about 320 words and tries to change anything it doesn't comprehend, which is most things, to one of those 320 words. #roader is probably hot nowadays with former #vanlifers transitioning to #roaders cuz ( Very Happy ) #vanlife is too crowded.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

And US folk tend to pronounce rotor as roader anyway - don't put all the blame on auto-correct if speech-to-text is being used! Razz
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got my new GKN/Lobro CVs installed, installed a new front windshield washer pump and wiper blades. And found a coolant leak. Two steps forward, one step back Rolling Eyes

Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
And US folk tend to pronounce rotor as roader anyway - don't put all the blame on auto-correct if speech-to-text is being used! Razz

As a European, this confused the hell out of me to begin with.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

There's a lot to like here. Nice work.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Old School'd an under bus operation this AM.. on cardboard in the driveway! Slithered under, got the starter out, cleaned up and lubed. Reinstalled.

Added the hard start / hot start relay, and an additional alternator run of fat wire.

Figured some of that might be helpful, but indeed, the recent arrival of new ignition switches was fortuitous, as after all that, still no start. Steering column apart again.. New switch kicked it right over.

Mrs Black read me the relay instructions as I picked away at the project, so that was a good time for us both. Daughter #1 bopped by toting her dozens of eggs and quart of goats milk [she's a hobby farmer right here at the Big House Smile ] to take in the scene, and I showed her the differences from the '86 with the GW relay under the driver seat, vs, the '87 that I did the 'kit' myself. She's getting fired up for working on her '86 as well!!

Done!
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Looks to be a starter type of day. A week ago before taking off on a road trip in my camper I spent most of the day with my truck either running or getting people to push start it.

So while away I ordered a 1.8t starter and an adaptor kit from Mullendore. I went after it today with a vengeance, but seeing as my faithful steed is 4WD changing a starter is no small task as I had done it about 1.5 ago. I put it up on the lift and proceeded to drop the engine and found the Solenoid wire was off. Well that explained why it would not start even after a light tap with a hammer.

I made sure the connection was sound, along the way I found a bad Alt belt and my air intake tube loose.

Put it back together and took it off the lift and it started right up. If it fails me again, ill drop it at my Mechanics shop and pay him to put the updated starter and adaptor in.

422xxx miles
Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
Looks to be a starter type of day.

^^And, yet another^^

Damn.. Well, I obviously blew something up.. Yup, the starter bound up in the flywheel and when it gave up the ghost, it blew some major voltage or shorted the entire electrical system. First it bucked, then a bunch of lights on the dash came on, then off, and then all electrical power was gone for about 1 second. By the time I got it pulled over, it was obvious something rather shocking had happened. But, the usual noises, other than the starter functioning as it should, were back 'up' as if it hadn't had any issues... Maybe, just maybe I got lucky and all I need is a new starter.

Anyway, I didn't have any time to do much more than get a ride back to grab another car from my assortment and get back on the road to some doctor appointments. So, perhaps when I recover some strength, I will go out and see what conditions are where I had the flatbed drop it in my drive.

New hi torque starter should be here in a few days.

-bobby
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

• deleted my rear heater as it was leaking and I have never used it. A couple of 5/8" brass plugs and a set of these Dorman rubber caps/suppositories seems to be doing the job. No more air bubbles in my coolant and resulting radiator fan spasms, I hope.

• tested my headlights to see why they were so dim on my recent road trip, inconclusive. Getting a full 13.5 V at the socket. Time for a night time test drive.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 568, 569, 570 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 569 of 630

Jump to: