Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 569, 570, 571 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I did a few things in the last few days, actually:
    1. Replaced my dead Alpicool fridge with a new ARB Zero 73qt Dual Zone. It only cost 5 times as much as the Alpicool... ouch! Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/3kkcPWW I also ordered the Transit Bag, which will be waiting at the post office for me next time I pass though town. I'm hoping this is the last fridge I have to buy.
    Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2. Replaced a failed AllPowers solar panel with a new 100 watt TopSolar panel, which is much more robust. It's been producing 125 watts on sunny and clear days, so I'm impressed. Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/3B6KbOE

3. Perfected (we'll see) my tarp setup, which gives me additional protected space. Perfect for my generator and storage tubs. I found these different tarp clamps that have teeth and actually hold extremely well. All other clamps suck by comparison, Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/3yZiJ3O I also added more powerful magnets and more of them. It's held up very well during some strong winds I've experienced in the last couple of days. I should just give up and buy one of those ARB knock-off awnings from NAPA and install it on the driver's side and be done with it, but I'm hoping this tarp setup will do what I need for now. My wallet is still hurting from my ARB fridge purchase!

4. Replaced my foggy dash cam with a new 4k unit

5. A friend gave me a WeBoost 4G-X RV cell signal booster system he wasn't using anymore... a good friend! I upgraded the system with a new Marine-style antenna with a 1' extension, and a stainless Steel adjustable mount to account for the pop top angle and can lay flat while driving for a lower clearance. I'm camped in the forest right now with a usable cell signal!

Now, it seems, I have an antenna array!

That's it for now.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Hey Geek...how long/much did you use the Alpicool? I'm perfectly happy with my Chinese Dometic, just interested in data points.

Also, re: cell booster...what sort of increase in signal do you see, as in # of bars, clarity, etc...and who's your carrier of choice?

Inquiring minds! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Noticed that the slider door handle was loose. The screw inside the door that holds it on must have unwound itself a bit. Measured twice, drilled a 5/16 hole once in the inner panel, did up the screw, covered hole with masking tape which is pretty much invisible on the '84 panel colour.

Potential future panic averted! Smile
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Hey Geek...how long/much did you use the Alpicool? I'm perfectly happy with my Chinese Dometic, just interested in data points.

Also, re: cell booster...what sort of increase in signal do you see, as in # of bars, clarity, etc...and who's your carrier of choice?

Inquiring minds! Cool

- Dave

Hi Dave, I purchased the Alpicool in October of 2019, so not quite two years. In that time I probably used it 75% of the time. I've used it 100% of the time in the last 10 months or so. The Chinese are perfectly capable of making very high quality products, but often opt to go cheap for low prices. Most fridges are made in China, including my new fancy ARB, but to better standards. A friend of mine has many different products made in China, and he said he always has the option to go cheaper. It all depends on the client and their end users demands for quality. I'd be real curious to see if the newer Alpicool fridges with the LG brand compressors are more reliable. I've read in the past that if the compressor works for the first few months, it will probably last a long time. Unfortunately, not in my case.

As to the cell booster, I've been doing some experimenting over the last few days. First of all, I'm using a Jetpack MiFi 8800L as my internet source through Verizon. It was baked with some special sauce that makes it think it's a phone, so it is truly unlimited and with no throttling. On its own, it does a great job with four internal antennas for "MiMo", or "Multiple In, Multiple Out". It is the fastest by itself with no external antenna or boost if there is a decent signal.

I also have the Netgear 6000450 antenna, which sells for around $50 (https://amzn.to/3z08X1c) and I am amazed at how well it works to bring in a weak signal. It is directional, so you have to experiment with the direction. It has two internal antennas, so you do take a step backwards as far as MiMo goes, but if the signal is weak, two that work is better than four that don't.

And now I have the WeBoost system, which has just one antenna, albeit a big honking one, so another step backwards MiMo-wise. But when the signal is really weak, the WeBoost will make it into a usable connection when the other solutions don't cut it. I sometimes may have a signal strength of -116db and the WeBoost can improve it to -85 or so. It also improves the S/N Ratio considerably. The best signal I've had at this location is -66db, with 8 SNR, which gave me a download speed of around 9Mb/second, and about 12Mb/second upload speeds. Those are fantastic speeds considering where I am. For reference, when I'm in a city with a good signal, my speeds are around 60Mb down and 20-30Mb up. I see many people confuse Mb with MB, exaggerating their speeds by a factor of 8.

Currently, I'm camped in Roosevelt National Forest and actually have a decent signal at times. The signal varies considerably depending on the weather, atmospheric conditions, and who knows what else. These changing conditions make it hard to do any comprehensive testing of the various antennas, since I don't know if the different readings are because of the antenna or if the conditions just changed. The weather is clearing up and I should have decent weather for the next week, so I can do some more comprehensive testing when the conditions are consistent.

For testing, and please know I am no expert, I've been using the diagnostic section of the Jetpack which will display the signal strength and S/N Ratio. Additionally, I use the Speedtest by Ookla to see upload and download speeds. As I understand it, using bars as a reference is not recommended.

My initial findings, despite the changing weather conditions, is that the non-amplified Netgear antenna works the best for bringing in an improved signal, thus better download and upload speeds. I was kind of surprised it beat out the WeBoost, and it beat it by quite a bit. It must be the two antennas vs. one?

The WeBoost wins if the signal is weeker, using its amplifying muscle, I'm assuming. What's interesting is that the WeBoost will almost always show the most improvement in the signal strength and SNR, but sometimes despite the better numbers, the Netgear will actually be better in real world conditions, with better upload and download speeds. I don't really understand why this is, unless it's the two antennas vs. the single antenna of the WeBoost. My WeBoost antenna is so impressive looking, you'd think it would always win. Of course, if there is no signal, no antenna will help. Hopefully Elon will make an ultra portable satellite internet system for RV's or vans, making boosters and antennas moot.

If I glean more information over the next week, I'll post again with my findings. With the options I have, I feel like if there's a signal out there, I'll be able to access it with one of the methods. I wish one method was always the best so I wouldn't have to dick around with the various combinations, but it is what it is. I'm just super happy I have internet in the forest. While it's been raining, I've been able to stream YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu, as well as surfing and shopping. I've also downloaded some new movies for when I have no connection at all. Now that the rain has finally stopped, maybe I can get out and enjoy nature instead of messing around with internet connections.

As to carrier of choice, I went with Verizon because I tend to hang out in the Western US, and they are known for being the "best in the west" compared to other carriers. My phone has an ATT SIM for situations where there is no Verizon. hopefully covering my bases. In my personal experience, Verizon has almost always given me a better signal than ATT.

Hope this helps.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced the split heater hose (between right side head and rear heater tee), got the zbed hinges in and started fabbing my version of a rear seat/bed (had to take out a second mortgage for a sheet of plywood!) and got my stereo receiver installed.

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Noticed that the slider door handle was loose. The screw inside the door that holds it on must have unwound itself a bit. Measured twice, drilled a 5/16 hole once in the inner panel, did up the screw, covered hole with masking tape which is pretty much invisible on the '84 panel colour.

Potential future panic averted! Smile

2X on the last part…the screw that holds the handle fell out and dropped the handle but somehow didn't stray too far, falling into the groove where the lower part of the door slides. Fell out in Montana, discovered in WA. Now to find that permatex to keep it in there. Though I like your tape idea.

My daily "done it" list includes a new ignition switch, with all the fun that entails including contact cleaner on the innards of the stalks. Did most of it from memory, it being the third time in three years. Some cleanup after removing the rear heater…I have the enclosure that lives over it, so if anyone wants a really complete rear heater (with leaky value at no extra cost) I can hook you up. And as I was putting it all back together I realized I have a place for a push button start, now that I don't need the rear hear controls. Think

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Drove my van for the first time in over a month. Wrapping up the reverse Subaru automatic install and all I have left to do is work out how I’m going to install the suby shifter and get rid of the ugly stock shifter!
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

oldskewlsk8ter wrote:
Drove my van for the first time in over a month. Wrapping up the reverse Subaru automatic install and all I have left to do is work out how I’m going to install the suby shifter and get rid of the ugly stock shifter!

Subi automatic?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I don't believe that large semi circular wrapped item is my R134a AC retrofit kit. Looks like I will not be having AC on this trip. Thanks Bus Depot!
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
oldskewlsk8ter wrote:

Subi automatic?

Correct. I went from the stock VW auto to a Subaru 4eat auto thanks to the subarugears conversion kit.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

I don't believe that large semi circular wrapped item is my R134a AC retrofit kit. Looks like I will not be having AC on this trip. Thanks Bus Depot!

The 134a retrofit kit is just new fittings that screw over the R12 fittings.

Any good auto parts store USA should have them.

No magic. Old VW A/C was an American Product.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

oldskewlsk8ter wrote:
vanis13 wrote:
oldskewlsk8ter wrote:

Subi automatic?

Correct. I went from the stock VW auto to a Subaru 4eat auto thanks to the subarugears conversion kit.

sweet! am considering the same thing. Do you have a post about this or would you be willing to discuss w/me directly? [email protected]

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

'87 hard/hot start relay and hi torque starter now all good, after a harness adaption .. ugh, the things I think I ordered! Ended up rebuilding the harness to match, and now its all good. (I think)
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

"Rebuilt" the starter after it decided yesterday that the side of the highway was the perfect place to die. Took is completely apart, cleaned it really well getting all the contacts and commutator nice and shiny, then reassembled it and it worked like a champ! Also changed the oil only to have the oil light stay on now. I tried using 10w40, but that must be too thin for this engine. Gonna grab some 20w-50 this afternoon and see if it likes that better. Rolling Eyes

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

TomInAlaska wrote:
Gonna grab some 20w-50 this afternoon and see if it likes that better. Rolling Eyes

Honestly hope to catch you before its too late to say

"Look for some Mobile 1 Synthetic 15-W50"

Mobile 1 changed my life.

-bobby
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
TomInAlaska wrote:
Gonna grab some 20w-50 this afternoon and see if it likes that better. Rolling Eyes

-bobby

I’ll give it a try if I can find it. 👍

LordHuron95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced the clutch and brake pads, new rotor and dist. cap along with installing a check valve for the brake booster vacuum line.

Now I'm having problems replacing the O2 sensor as there are two and one is missing the wire. But I'm not sure if I need to find said wire, or if the 2nd O2 sensor even is supposed to be there!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

TomInAlaska wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:
TomInAlaska wrote:
Gonna grab some 20w-50 this afternoon and see if it likes that better. :roll:

-bobby

I’ll give it a try if I can find it. 👍

Walmart here has it reliably when many FLAPS do not, and cheaper even when they do.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Found a long-missing part and proved to myself that I'm not really going crazy, at least about that. When I built our dog gate many years ago we moved the front table to the rear position and retired the rear table to the basement, along with the original front table leg that was replaced by a pipe step now supporting the gate.

We moved here in '13 and I was certain I did not leave the table leg behind or toss it but I could not find it. With so much crap on hand I tried to keep the van stuff together but we all know what can happen. Anyway, over the years I'd pick a section and poke around, hoping to find it and always winding up shaking my head. Today I was in the back corner moving some things and spotted this.

I moved it closer to some van stuff so if I lose it again I'll probably lose more with it.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
Looks to be a starter type of day.

^^And, yet another^^

^^^Me too.^^^ Yesterday the starter on my Bug crapped out. Not wiring, ign. switch, ground or battery, and hot-wiring didn't work either.
Push starting until I can get under there.

Just like the olden days...

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 569, 570, 571 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 570 of 629

Jump to: