Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 575, 576, 577 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Fuel line replacement on the '86. Just under 75K mi.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Somehow, can't put my hands on the fuse/wire supplies to protect my FI system... 6 weeks my stash was right in my entry, now its just ghosted me.. Oh well, there's a store near me I can buy yet another batch of fuse holders and fuses. Hah!
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:
Worked all day at the new job, so I'll say starting Wednesday...

Drove over to my buddy's house and started messing around at 1030am, we were going to do a pressure test due to some lifter ticking, but with new oil and 50miles driven, it's gone. So I crawled down below and began tightening/adjusting clamps on new FI line, also making sure it was all secure to frame around sending and return. Swapped shitty no-name fuel filter for nice German one. Filled up and added some Lucas FI treatment. Went back under van and lightly greased shifter rod. Firing and shifting real noice now. I worked slow because this was enjoyable. While this was going on I also wire brushed the fuel filter clamp and spray painted 4 coats of flat black before allowing it to dry reattach. While waiting for the last coat to dry I got to work on cleaning wire brushing the metal edges of some FI rails that I left in vinegar for a few days (only the metal section) and the rust and grime came right off. Did the same with the bleeder valve T. Staying on the rust removal game, I'd had some exhaust pipes soaking in vinegar and a small amount of simple green. Wire brushed those for a couple hours and they're looking pretty darn nice. I think it's time to consider buying exhaust paint and any suggestions, other than don't buy it, are super appreciated. Well, since it was my last day before the new job and I wanted the van ready for this weekend, I started the 2nd round of deep cleaning since I bought it. Excluding drivers seat and headliner, I had removed entire interior removed the week I bought it. 36 years of old smoke smell and dog hair, on top of a slippery, gross mess of amor-all, made for a pretty gross, slippery interior (y'all ever try using gas/clutch/brake that's been armor-all doused? accident central). So I set to work with some sponges, wire brush, steel wool, rolls of paper towels, rags, simple green, and vinegar and started the post vacuum scrub down. This took a good 4-5 hours. I then returned the seats, installing and lubricating all hinges, tracks, and springs. Swept out the van, threw a cool looking southwestern style rug I'd found and knew would be good for something, someday and closed the doors. Grabbed that fuel filter clamp from the shed and screwed it back on by headlamp and lantern. It was 1145pm and I had to start the new at 730AM the next day...

Thursday-

scored a sweet wooden foot stool or small table to eat breakfast from the bench seat on or rest my feet while chilling out. Drilled some holes on the corner of drivers seat podium to install the Westfalia swivel table my buddy kicked down. Popped instrument cluster and vacuumed remaining dog hair and grime. cleaned armor-all off the rest of the front cabin. turned on blue tooth speaker, sat in the back and chilled the heck out.

Super stoked. sorry for wall of text but it's kinda how the mad dash of it all went down. peace
I run with Eastwood’s High Temp Silver Exhaust Paint. It does require a yearly touch up on the rear pipes but it’s fast and easy on a lift for me.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

leecat wrote:
Changed out my bad left side fuel rail. Now I'm no fuel rail expert, but this can't be good:

I had a ‘special’ one too when I first got the Vanagon

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished the '86 fuel line project. Got surprised when doing the pump and filter. There was one of them square/early filters between tank and pump, then the Late silver can in the normal spot. Decided not to try to find and install a prefilter for this time.

Flipped key on off a few times, and looked for leaks. Thankfully, none. Started, let it idle a bit, looked for leaks again, Nope, all good. But then the engine died. Huh.. OH!! Forgot to plug the AFM back in, Derp!

Took a spin to put a respectable amount of fuel in, went to a parts store and yet again bought enough supplies to Fuse that Hot harness in the engine compartment... and now I'm pooped. Fusing the FI will have to be a Monday night thing..

So, New fuel lines, rails and filter went in at 74970 actual miles.

And, now, I can drive it!!! Whooooot!
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced the faulty headlight switch (no dash lights) and two burned out dash bulbs...changed out a bad right rear brake light bulb...installed the repainted luggage rack...switched rear view mirror from a brown one to a black one...installed the outside rear-view mirrors with new gaskets...cleaned fuse 11 which (as per a solution Wildthings posted) fixed my left signal lights which had been totally dead up to that point...wired in the VDO oil pressure gauge...mundane maintenance stuff that just eats up time but needs to be done!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
R. Deschain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Putting off a large project by doing small ones: GoWesty Ashtray Blanking Plate turned into a RAM mount phone and camera station. Could also hold two phones or two cameras...

https://www.youtube.com/mattofmanytrades
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

A VR6 Syncro?

We will watch your career with great interest.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

x2 to seeing a VR6 build - would be super sexy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Make America Vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally got around to installing mirrors. As everyone says, wish I'd done it sooner.

Slaughterhouse Customs make these, they are the non heated version.[/img]
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I took advantage of what will likely be one of the last weather windows this year to spray some color

As you can see, it started drizzling while I was putting trim pieces and stuff back on. Rolling Eyes

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

TomInAlaska wrote:
I took advantage of what will likely be one of the last weather windows this year to spray some color......
As you can see, it started drizzling while I was putting trim pieces and stuff back on. Rolling Eyes

That is Van dedication!

work on it instead of using it....like when that flips

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Tom, that looks great!

That second picture, before the clear, is fairly close to what I want my van to look like. I think that looks pretty cool.
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Tom, that looks great!

That second picture, before the clear, is fairly close to what I want my van to look like. I think that looks pretty cool.

Thanks! And its just single stage paint and a (very) quick and dirty job at that. There are definitely dents, dings, surface rust pitting, a fair bit of orange-peel, and a few runs visible if you look close, but it looks waaaaaaay better than it did and that's all I was looking for. Very Happy

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Wrecked it. I was asleep and dreaming at the time in the predawn hours, motoring down a known road but opposite the usual direction of travel. Overshot a right curve and went down a spur road that turned to gravel, then became a driveway. I turned to look at a farmhouse on the left and turned back to see a looming ditch. Hit it and the camper came to rest leaning on its left side.

As you can imagine, it woke my ass right up and I went to the window to check on the van, which was okay.

Whew!
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Spent all evening trying to get the stove to light. Nothing. I was sure there was propane in the tank because I opened the valve while the tank was out being painted and it hissed like mad - but must have been the last gasp.

Tonight I eventually opened the bleed valve a little...no hissing...opened it a little more...no hissing...opened it a little more...it fell out. Guess no propane = no stove ignition! Good thing I didn't start disassembling the stove.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The '87 was in need of plugs ... maybe a few thou ago.. and cap and rotor !!

328,221 mi (plus ~800 I know about while waiting for new speedo cable)

plugs shown L to R 4-3-2-1

TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished adding some auxiliary lights up front

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

TomInAlaska wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:
Tom, that looks great!

Thanks! And its just single stage paint and a (very) quick and dirty job at that. There are definitely dents, dings, surface rust pitting, a fair bit of orange-peel, and a few runs visible if you look close, but it looks waaaaaaay better than it did and that's all I was looking for. Very Happy

What gun and compressor did you use? Looks great. Small compressor right?
happy2CU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

installed sun power on my tin top Very Happy Idea Very Happy

[img
[/img]
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I installed a speedisleeve on the trans ouput hub and then drove down to Basye VA for some lift access downhill mountain biking and when I got back I looked under the van. Still leaking! I installed a new seal there (last fall maybe) and it started leaking after this past July. Now with a speedi sleeve there was no change and it is leaking exactly the same as before.

I dunno. I guess I will replace the seal. Annoying.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 575, 576, 577 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 576 of 629

Jump to: