Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 577, 578, 579 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Drove it across Canada Reply with quote

jimnto wrote:
Crazy thing. Saw a vanagon on Kijiji. liked it and liked the owner. Made a deal sight unseen. Flew to Victoria BC and I am presently driving it across Canada. Will be home in Toronto tomorrow.

I drove it! A lot!

Awesome!!! That's the way to do it. Cool
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Drove it across Canada Reply with quote

jimnto wrote:
Crazy thing. Saw a vanagon on Kijiji. liked it and liked the owner. Made a deal sight unseen. Flew to Victoria BC and I am presently driving it across Canada. Will be home in Toronto tomorrow.

I drove it! A lot

^^^ That's kinda like how I got my Bug:
Exchanged numerous emails w/ the Samba advertiser.
He answered all my questions promptly and sent lots of pics. We agreed on the price and arranged shipping- half-way across the Country.
A week or so later it arrived as described, in good condition.
A satisfactory transaction.

Thanks Greg!!

The Waiting was the Hardest Part.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced the front springs today. It is not as simple as the Bentley makes out, as they only address post October 1984 - for pre-October 1984 vans with the older front suspension it's a 'mare! However my new luxury tool helped enormously. Smile

Rear springs tomorrow.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got some TorchBeam 9004 LEDs in the mail today, so at lunch time I installed them. I'll have to re-aim tonight.

And did re-aim that night. Looks good.

Last edited by bobbyblack on Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jcannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I found and removed more dead mice. Stop here if you are overly sensitive to mouse horror.

The "Hantawagen" (which named itself) spent 10 years in a barn near Four Corners. Part of that 10 years was during the rodent-borne Hantavirus outbreak. It became apparent that working on something new may result in the discovery of an old mouse nest and a carcass or two. When I removed the AC blower a few weeks ago and found a former nest I thought "This is the last of them".

The Hantawagen never disappoints. I had to do some work behind the headliner over the front seats. That is where the bolts for the luggage rack are. As I detached the headliner using a putty knife and a dental pick, seed shells, grey fuzz, and other old mouse reside fell. That was the warning sign. I found this:

That carcass is stuck in a 15.7 mm hole over the drivers seat. This is just rear of the drivers door dome light. You can see a headliner bow behoind the mouse. Using a 12" hemostat I got the exposed half directly, and the hidden half by reaching through the dome light hole. Better check the passenger side....

Yikes! Another one. There is a dome light hole on the passenger side too. Mine has a plastic block off plate. I poked the mouse into the channel, removed the block off, and fished it out with the hemostat. In places with very low humidity things can mummify rather than rot. Here is the majority of the passenger side mouse:

It is kind of creepy realizing these were just above our shoulders behind the headliner. Next time you are camping in your Westy look up at the headliner. Have you looked behind it? The job at hand only required the removal of the first two headliner bows. My wife said not to remove any more headliner unless it was necessary for another job. That is to keep the project from expanding. So far, this makes 6-1/2 dead mice found! The location of the missing half is still a mystery. This gave me an idea for an art project My wife has mixed feelings about the graphics but she relented and took the picture.

After cleaning the unexpected mess I tightened and caulked the luggage rack bolts. Then I reattached the headliner.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed my 1up bike rack. I like it a lot more than the Saris rack. The Saris rack is better in 2 ways, it can fold up in the stowaway position and clear the tire no problem and it has integrated cable locks.

However, the 1up bike rack is better in every other metric. It's a very well built piece and it's made in the US.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jcannon wrote:
I found and removed more dead mice. Stop here if you are overly sensitive to mouse horror.

The "Hantawagen" (which named itself) spent 10 years in a barn near Four Corners. Part of that 10 years was during the rodent-borne Hantavirus outbreak. It became apparent that working on something new may result in the discovery of an old mouse nest and a carcass or two. When I removed the AC blower a few weeks ago and found a former nest I thought "This is the last of them".

The Hantawagen never disappoints. I had to do some work behind the headliner over the front seats. That is where the bolts for the luggage rack are. As I detached the headliner using a putty knife and a dental pick, seed shells, grey fuzz, and other old mouse reside fell. That was the warning sign. I found this:

That carcass is stuck in a 15.7 mm hole over the drivers seat. This is just rear of the drivers door dome light. You can see a headliner bow behoind the mouse. Using a 12" hemostat I got the exposed half directly, and the hidden half by reaching through the dome light hole. Better check the passenger side....

Yikes! Another one. There is a dome light hole on the passenger side too. Mine has a plastic block off plate. I poked the mouse into the channel, removed the block off, and fished it out with the hemostat. In places with very low humidity things can mummify rather than rot. Here is the majority of the passenger side mouse:

It is kind of creepy realizing these were just above our shoulders behind the headliner. Next time you are camping in your Westy look up at the headliner. Have you looked behind it? The job at hand only required the removal of the first two headliner bows. My wife said not to remove any more headliner unless it was necessary for another job. That is to keep the project from expanding. So far, this makes 6-1/2 dead mice found! The location of the missing half is still a mystery. This gave me an idea for an art project My wife has mixed feelings about the graphics but she relented and took the picture.

After cleaning the unexpected mess I tightened and caulked the luggage rack bolts. Then I reattached the headliner.
First, you both ARE braver than me for enduring all of ....that..... Smile Smile
Love the Mouse that died IN THE HOLE- Classic in its own right.... Razz
I'd keep the graphics for a while and see what comments you get, then post them here on the Samba since they're going to be different than the usual questions we all get with the VWs as we drive them around.... Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I braved the chilly weather today (got in the 20s last night btw) to pull the exhast, clean it up, paint it, and reinstall with new gaskets and hardware. I actually couldn't get the #2-4 pipe all the way out without pulling the moustache bar, so that one might still have some non-painted spots. Also, those nuts/bolts on #4 are not exactly easy to get to. I also discovered the upper hole for #1 is stripped, so JB-welded a stud in there and will try to tighten it down tomorrow. <fingers crossed>

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

Installed my 1up bike rack. I like it a lot more than the Saris rack. The Saris rack is better in 2 ways, it can fold up in the stowaway position and clear the tire no problem and it has integrated cable locks.

However, the 1up bike rack is better in every other metric. It's a very well built piece and it's made in the US.

Looks great! And nice Canyon! How much clearance do you have with the spare tire carrier on there? I'm still trying to figure out my bike hauling arrangement and like the looks of the 1up (also considering a Kuat or Thule) and also really want a swing out tire carrier, probably the one from RMW/Van Cafe.

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
R. Deschain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jcannon wrote:
This gave me an idea for an art project My wife has mixed feelings about the graphics but she relented and took the picture.

I LOVE the graphic!!

https://www.youtube.com/mattofmanytrades
hellvetica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I have a 1up on my van with a RMW swing away tire carrier, and I have it about 1-2 inches from the tire. The hitch arm definitely has space to come outward. I just like having it as far in as possible.
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Waiting on shifter relay lever kit from RMW after doing head gasket.
Finally decided to dive into blower motor and resistor that i had on deck, anyway.
Never did this particular job on this vehicle before.
Could have had the entire thing done in maybe 3.5hrs but the main blower pipe on drivers side split (instructions should recommend removing that one screw) so while the silicone cures on that hose repair,decided to do my dash and trim in low gloss black.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Low gloss black looks great! Perfect time for a visual upgrade.

TomInAlaska wrote:
Looks great! And nice Canyon! How much clearance do you have with the spare tire carrier on there? I'm still trying to figure out my bike hauling arrangement and like the looks of the 1up (also considering a Kuat or Thule) and also really want a swing out tire carrier, probably the one from RMW/Van Cafe.

Like hellvetica said, it is adjustable by about 2-3". Mine is as far out as possible, but I made my hitch receiver myself and I made it pretty short. I have about 2.5" between the tire and the seat stay on my biggest bike. The pedal definitely overlaps. On my Saris rack, I would put the pedal against the tire because it just barely fit and it stopped a lot of wobbling. I went over a very severe speed bump once with the Saris and I 100% thought that my handlebar was going to hit and break the rear window. So much wobble with that rack. There should be more space with the 1up, but my hitch is angled up and I need to cut/reweld it so that it is level. If it were level I think it would be closer to 3.5-4" of space.

LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Low gloss black looks great! Perfect time for a visual upgrade.

Thanks!
I'm really pleased how it turned out.
I'll post more pics later when I get it all back in.
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Picked up some new shoes

And installed a set of Amazon LED headlights

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Moved all but one of the Vanagons at my place today (so that one is not yet in the pictures here). More moved under their own power than has happened before, as I was able to find a CL gem and bring it home yesterday, a Subi 2.2 swapped '86 and get it placed on my own Sugar Mountain... More on the dark blue '86 in a thread when I get started on the basic repairs to put it back on the road!

But, as my rule happens to be... I am getting AAA to tow some old Toyotas to the scrap yard. Can't add more vehicles, just trade "up".

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Bobby, if they are Toyota pickups or SUV's ..... pull the jacks out!
A most amazing compact Vanagon jack!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Moved all but one of the Vanagons ........

I wonder what glut of Vanagons would exist if those of us that have more than one would pare down to one....the market would crash! (hopes of those of us that are users instead of colectors)

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Robsmaze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I feel like a grizzled veteran after this weekend. Finished, flared and hooked up all new brake lines from the proportional valve back, finished installing a burley rear brake conversion, bled brakes, changed thermostat and then…

Spent 9 filthy painful miserable hours changing out the water pump. I can’t believe how difficult that job was. To top it off, I had a non thinking moment, and after the distributor was pulled and moved completely out of the way to give me a little more access to the water pump, I needed just a little more room to pull the water pump. Maybe, I thought to myself, this crank pulley will come off without to much struggle. So, I turned it - several times. It didn’t come off, I rotated the engine and I managed to install the distributor backwards after I finished the water pump. Obviously it wouldn’t start. I slept on it, pulled the distributor in the morning, installed it correctly and everything fired up again.

So after bleeding the radiator, and carefully checking temperatures and fluid levels, I finally drove the old girl. first road trip (only 5 miles) in 16 years. Had a few scary moments (stalled on a downhill stretch and wouldn’t give me any power for about 500 yards) and I have a small oil leak from somewhere, but major progress!!!

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Congrats man! I bet it feels great to get it out on the road again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 577, 578, 579 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 578 of 629

Jump to: