Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 579, 580, 581 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Developed a hunting idle, figured I have a vacuum leak. Got out my smoke machine, I seem to have a little leak through my cruise control vacuum canister relief valve. I have not used my CC much.. maybe that is why it just "lets loose" when going along .. never has worked other than at about 58-59 mph.

Anyway, I need to find a decent "plug" for the AFM hole. Anyone know of a good match for a plug the size of the AFM when its taken out of the engine area?
Any chance you can take the intake boot over to a hardware store or big box store and match up PVC/ plumbing drain pipe caps to the ID of the boot?
You'll get a smooth surface to clamp to, so probably no leaks once you are smoke testing the system with the boot reinstalled.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I carry a spare AFM in my bus... so I guess I just take the AFM in with me, find some jar or other product that matches.. Like a jar of olives or such that I would chomp on while awaiting the smoke machine to fill the intake... makes me laugh a little about 'smoke machine' and 'Lid' ..
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

You must have a Non FActory Cruise system. The stock CC does not use intake vacuum. It has it's own Vacuum or Bi Pressure pump to activate the bellow.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

PO had made a mess at the exhaust stud, leading to a crack in the head. So I pulled it today! Took about 90 minutes. It was far easier than replacing fuel tank, rerunning/routing fuel line, etc. Slap that new head on next week along with my 2.1 exhaust and new cat. Frickin stoked.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/67006022@N04/My9AB1]

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I finished getting my "new" wheels and studded tires bolted up thanks to new studs, nuts, and spacers from T3!

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=

Last edited by TomInAlaska on Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Tested my Group 41 battery , still tests very good.
Removed and cleaned the Aux Air Valve, then adjusted it for a bit longer cold engine operation.
Replaced two vacuum hoses as a preventative measure while I had that all apart. They were getting rock hard, so time to go before , they went further and started cracking on me ……. Razz Razz
happy2CU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

replaced driver and front passenger seat belts.
Diy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Pump bearing is toast, sounds like slight rod knock. This one cost me 32$ from Rockauto.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

ODO turned 331k miles today, returning our son to the Hawkey U, after a bone graft surgery last Thursday. He's doing pretty well, other than the swelling and pain. .. It was a white knuckle ride, the storm had us on edge, and for whatever reason Iowa drivers knew not how fragile the flow of traffic is, saw evidence of 8 wrecks. Locked up my fronts to avoid a front ender on IA380, recovered. The next 3 hours were just as harsh.
Glad to land and put the bus away, tho ridden hard and left wet.

bobby
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
ODO turned 331k miles today, returning our son to the Hawkey U, after a bone graft surgery last Thursday. He's doing pretty well, other than the swelling and pain. .. It was a white knuckle ride, the storm had us on edge, and for whatever reason Iowa drivers knew not how fragile the flow of traffic is, saw evidence of 8 wrecks. Locked up my fronts to avoid a front ender on IA380, recovered. The next 3 hours were just as harsh.

bobby

There aughta be a "What has my Vanagon done for me today" thread

Glad you are back home

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

bobby

Glad you're all safe.
The US Interstate System........ sheesh...... Nah...... I'll just shut up and sit on my hands.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed my Snow Tires onto my new Passat rims. I had drilled out the centers on the rims last night at home, using my Drill press and the Carbide Tipped Hole saw suggested here on Samba.
One more job done before Winter …. Dancing Dancing
After a few days of driving, I like the set-up. You can feel that the Passat Rims are a bit lighter than the Mefros, so my Unsprung Weight changed enough that even with the Load Range C Snow Tires, the ride of the Winter Tires is smoother and not the same as when they're mounted on the Mefros.
Still thinking about Hub Caps , or just running them 'bare' for Winter.
I did paint the enlarged hole centers to slow down any rusting, not sure if any salt spray would be held back by plastic Hub Caps even if I had them mounted.
.. Think Think
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally identified where my brake fluid is disappearing to. I believe it is the LR wheel cylinder. I can see that backing plate is wet.

That said, now its just a matter of digging in. I've got all the parts on hand for a full rear brake job. Hopeful to do it this coming weekend.

I know brake fluid is fairly corrosive. I'm going to have a few cans of brake clean on hand, but that stuff is really bad. Not real sure how exactly I will avoid exposure. One option, I guess, is to do the work in the driveway. Clashing, of course with the arrival of Winter!! Whoot! Carhartts coverall time again!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Something totally different. Dropped it off at a trusted mechanic to have the front brakes redone. I had ordered new rotors and pads and was planning to pull the van into the garage but the bride started making "Let Jeff do it" noises because of our extensive list of remodeling and repair chores in the queue.

So, while the van is off at the spa I came home to work on bedroom door casing and baseboard and to take the refrigerator apart.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I'd rather work on the van and pay someone else to do the home remodel/repair chores...

*says the guy trying to finish a porch remodel before snow/freezing temps fly here.. Mad

yeah would rather work on the van.. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I'd rather work on the van and pay someone else to do the home remodel/repair chores...

So would I, but have you tried to get contractors to show up just to give an estimate? We've known this mechanic for decades and can do work on the house ourselves in the time that would otherwise be spent waiting for callbacks.
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

my buddy came over a few days ago and helped me put the new (to me, but used) head on. he really wanted me to pay attention to the green gaskets and make sure they didn't kink up or pop out of place. otherwise, it wasn't too complicated. Pretty sure the next time will be a solo job.

adjusted valves and compression was 140 and 150 on the drivers side (where head replacement happened), so that's pretty cool too.

now I'm putting the 2.1 exhaust on the 1.9. I started taking it all apart back in august. then I got very sick with covid, started a new job, and returned to graduate school within a 3 week period, so it's been on the back burner since then.

getting the exhaust back on wasn't so hard. I remembered to get that nut on the stud by the thermostat housing while the thermostat housing was removed, so that was a plus. cutting the muffler heat shield to size was pretty easy too.

now I've just got to get the muffler to seat in the brackets. it's a tight frickin fit. Hopefully it'll be running this weekend and I can finally get it smogged and drive again! might get a camping/gun shooting/skateboarding trip up the coast over thanksgiving break!

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^^^ Good work!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
^^^^^ Good work!

thanks, man. my buddy who helped has been taking these things apart and putting em back together for 22 years or something like that and I wouldn't be doing any of this without his knowledge and help!

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
ODO turned 331k miles today,

bobby

Holy cow, bobby. Have you put 40K or more miles on it over the past two years? Here's hoping all is well with your son.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 579, 580, 581 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 580 of 629

Jump to: