Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 581, 582, 583 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Cal, Wow!! Thats a good step forward for your bus!! Sweet!!
Dancing
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Finally fixed the 'Power with key in' (SU) circuit refusing to turn off. It was the steering wheel shroud pressing on the ignition barrel that turned out to be the main cause, just filing 1mm away all round to make the 'hole' bigger did the trick. The shroud should have had clearance already, but in this case it pressed quite hard against the barrel.

It turns out the barrel has to be able to move in and out slightly, and the switch itself (and my spare) is very sensitive to being pressed in. So if the barrel is held firmly down into its surround the bit that pokes out of the end just tickles the switch enough to put it on the cusp of closing that circuit.

Another answer could have been to file the end of the switch actuator (part of the barrel) down a bit, but filing the shroud for clearance seemed the least invasive.
This should be a sticky 'somewhere' as it's SO obscure you KNOW it will happen again yet be forgotten as a simple fix in the future.
WOW, great catch and repair.... Shocked Shocked
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
fxr wrote:
Finally fixed the 'Power with key in' (SU) circuit refusing to turn off. It was the steering wheel shroud pressing on the ignition barrel that turned out to be the main cause, just filing 1mm away all round to make the 'hole' bigger did the trick. The shroud should have had clearance already, but in this case it pressed quite hard against the barrel.

It turns out the barrel has to be able to move in and out slightly, and the switch itself (and my spare) is very sensitive to being pressed in. So if the barrel is held firmly down into its surround the bit that pokes out of the end just tickles the switch enough to put it on the cusp of closing that circuit.

Another answer could have been to file the end of the switch actuator (part of the barrel) down a bit, but filing the shroud for clearance seemed the least invasive.
This should be a sticky 'somewhere' as it's SO obscure you KNOW it will happen again yet be forgotten as a simple fix in the future.

If he were to make a separate stand alone thread about his trouble and solution, a sticky link would be easy to do.
Plus being it’s own thread people can build upon the solution and report success or failure.
You cannot do this effectively in a random question / random report forum.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
This should be a sticky 'somewhere'

Added to the FAQ as a direct post link.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9763766#9763766

As Dave said, though, a standalone topic would be better.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:
fxr wrote:

If he were to make a separate stand alone thread about his trouble and solution, a sticky link would be easy to do.
Plus being it’s own thread people can build upon the solution and report success or failure.
You cannot do this effectively in a random question / random report forum.

Dave
Good point
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

Thank you
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

I could do that - but to be sensibly useful it'd need photos etc, and I'm NOT going to disassemble the steering to get to the switch again anytime soon! It's a PITA to do, and it's cold and rainy outside right now... Razz
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

So.. this could account for a mystery battery drain, I take it? Like mostly I can leave the bus for a week, and not have any issue, but once in a while I park it Friday after work, and on Monday morning it won't start, all the programming on my radio, etc are all gone, need to jump pack it, or put it on a charger for a while.

^^^This?

If so, I will guinea pig the pics when I get to finding out if that is what I have going on. For an interim, I was thinking of placing some tiny LED that would show Key-In power-on, to determine if this is what I have going on.

Whew! Maybe hope in finding this out myself!

Thanks!
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
So.. this could account for a mystery battery drain, I take it? Like mostly I can leave the bus for a week, and not have any issue, but once in a while I park it Friday after work, and on Monday morning it won't start, all the programming on my radio, etc are all gone, need to jump pack it, or put it on a charger for a while.

^^^This?

That's what got me started on this - I have a rear-view camera and GPS that run from this 'SU' feed, and they would cause severe battery drain over a day or two. Sad We got used to jiggling the key in and out to ensure these items went off, but that got old quickly. So I dug into the innards...
Quote:

If so, I will guinea pig the pics when I get to finding out if that is what I have going on. For an interim, I was thinking of placing some tiny LED that would show Key-In power-on, to determine if this is what I have going on.

Whew! Maybe hope in finding this out myself!

Thanks!

If you have the door open, and you haven't removed the relay that gives the annoying buzz, that *should* be an extra clue. I didn't grok that for quite some time. Sad

So please go ahead and see what your solution may be. Smile If the shroud misses the barrel entirely at the moment so that isn't your problem, perhaps just filing off 1mm from the actuator will do the trick. That will mean taking the barrel out though, so if you haven't got the access hole drilled yet, now's the time to do it (Bentley 94.4).
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

If you have the door open, and you haven't removed the relay that gives the annoying buzz, that *should* be an extra clue. I didn't grok that for quite some time. Sad

...so if you haven't got the access hole drilled yet, now's the time to do it (Bentley 94.4).

So, somewhere in the order of PO's, the 'Volks-Wag-En' dinger grew legs. I do have a handful of relays, etc from an '80s Cabriolet. I'll bet I have a dinger in there that would fit the location! .. Failing to find that, I'd bet I can rig a small LED indicator off the legs of that fuse/relay location

Oh, ya, and my '86 Westy does have the chime in place.. I can take that as an example, easy peasy!
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I forgot to mention - my first kill-switch relay is enabled (not activated, that's a secret switch) by the key-in power. So once activated, it stayed activated unless I ensured the power went off. That provided the extra incentive to get this sorted!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

See?

This key in topic needs it's own thread.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Power with key in (SU) circuit refusing to turn off Reply with quote

This, now cleared, post was created as its own post to remove it from the TODAY thread as suggested by many including the moderators

then when I go look for it, I see it moved back into the TODAY post and making hard to find.

To the moderator that moved it - ..How about sending a note to poster that is what you're doing. Not cool to just secretly shuffle things around.

...and remember it was the users AND the moderators that asked for a separate topic so I have no idea why you just moved it back.

and since my condensed topic is in the TODAY thread anyway spread throughout in its original segments, no need for my condensation thus this edit.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make

Last edited by vanis13 on Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

see above

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make

Last edited by vanis13 on Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Changed oil and filer. Flushed the brake fluid.
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got it out of the weather - garage stuffed with wall-hanging bikes, skis, climbing equipment, woodworking bench, etc.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Woke up early and picked up a pelican case for the luggage rack. I mulled this over for a while and decided to go this route with the gowesty lock. Spare parts, lesser used tool, etc.

Gowesty lock being posted to me now.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Read recently of a successful front blower switch rehab. Decided to try that before going with a PWM, just to see.. and the PWM is for a slightly different project, so try it did, and I am happy with the stock switch having just needed a little tweak to the contacts, and a little lube for the pressure plate.

Also, had the ambition to take my LFP battery apart to slip in thin cutting board dividers between cells. Peace of mind. One cell has a slight bulge Sad Not bad, but is ANY bulge good? They came flat, seemed to be new or 'A' about a year ago. Moved temp probe to top of pack.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced the center illumination bulb in the cluster that back lights the warning light section.
Cleaned the foil contacts gently for it as there was a bit of oxide there.

Then stayed late at work installing my Front Bumper from Van Cafe/RMW.
Nice to match the rear bumper now.
Still need to fully install the license plate since Illinois is a 2 plate state.
Temporarily tie-wrapped it to the lower grill while I build a mount for it that comes off the upper screws of the RMW bumper.
Can’t bring myself to drill any holes in the new bumper for a faster riv-nut mounting like I had with the old Chrome Bumper… d'oh! d'oh! Think Think
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The '86 R1 bus had bad wipers when I got it out of the garage, so I decided the ones from my DD, the '87 Westy would swap on, which are 2 years old. On the errands, I picked up new wipers for the '87, and installed them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 581, 582, 583 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 582 of 631

Jump to: