Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 583, 584, 585 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

It has been difficult to find 1st and reverse for way too long. It was necessary to cramp the shift lever left with some force to find those gears.
Adjusted the shifter top plate about 1 1/6" to the left. Gear selection is much improved now.

Also: emptied the ash tray.

On to the next fiasco!

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Kdj wrote:
New swing out slider table mount.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

so who you got holding it for you behind the front seat?

My bad bet you wanted to see her Laughing

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Kdj wrote:
vanis13 wrote:
Kdj wrote:
New swing out slider table mount.
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2250532.jpg[/]

so who you got holding it for you behind the front seat?

My bad bet you wanted to see her Laughing

Nice table idea!
Excellent seat choice!

Two thumbs up! 👍👍

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Well .. Looked under the parts bus for the 'save' .. Nope, whom ever had it last managed to harvest the small bits I'd needed. Yet, they'd put it all back together as if I might find something useful. Well, I've got an order placed for the parts. It'll be the weekend or more, til this gets resolved.

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

While investigating a wiring 'funny', I spotted the start of cracks in the coolant overflow tank - a new one installed today. A simple task one might think - except the two screws that hold it in place were well frozen in place.

So, licence plate holder and bumper off, drill out the screws - except as they get hot from the drilling that melts the plastic the threaded inserts are embedded in.

Still - they drilled out enough that much wiggling and wriggling of the screw heads eventually broke both off. Installation of the new one was a doddle. Smile

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added a passenger-side 'courtesy' light. Useful when camping. Wink Measured twice, cut once with a box-cutter, and paralleled the wiring from the driver's side.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally installed the Intrepid Overland/10cc heater valve kit today.
It had been on my to-do list for some time.
Flushed coolant system and also replaced the radiator fan switch while I had the system empty anyway.
My stock heater valve was getting worse with dripping coolant, so it was time.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

put the pushrod tub guards back on and took my lady (1/2 owner) for a 200 mile drive. It's running pretty nice. last time she was in it the lifter tap was out of control and for now anyways, it's absolutely gone. She's starting to see that this old van isn't just a piece of yard art Very Happy gotta swap a faulty temp 2 if it arrives tomorrow and if the van starts right up, smog time, baby.

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Drove the '87 to work! Had been down all of last week due to exploded shift selector shaft ball deterioration.

Yesterday, I installed the yoke tip kit from t3technique and then rebuilt the shifter shaft with a kit from VC.

Its a little sticky coming out of R, but otherwise all is super slick!
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Drove the '87 to work! Had been down all of last week due to exploded shift selector shaft ball deterioration.

Yesterday, I installed the yoke tip kit from t3technique and then rebuilt the shifter shaft with a kit from VC.

Its a little sticky coming out of R, but otherwise all is super slick!

Applause Applause Dancing Dancing Glad to hear it.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
While investigating a wiring 'funny', I spotted the start of cracks in the coolant overflow tank - a new one installed today. A simple task one might think - except the two screws that hold it in place were well frozen in place.

So, licence plate holder and bumper off, drill out the screws - except as they get hot from the drilling that melts the plastic the threaded inserts are embedded in.

Still - they drilled out enough that much wiggling and wriggling of the screw heads eventually broke both off. Installation of the new one was a doddle. Smile

Do you know what size the screws are? Just did the same!
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

M6 x 12mm, 1mm thread pitch, pan head. I bought stainless, and applied a tiny bit of anti-seize before installing.
screwbiedooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Straightened gear stick and installed the new gear shifter assembly. Swore at van a lot.

Jump started van after slow starting in cold. Fetched new diesel from gas station as the biodiesel in the tank not helping. Finally started. Discovered new hole in exhaust downpipe. Swore at van.

Took for a test drive. Gear shifter much better but not perfect. Heater not working. Swore. Lost power. Limped home, lights fading. Swore at van some more.

Alternator belt snapped! Smoke from engine bay and horrible buzzing sound from section of cooling system (don't know what the part is, to the left of the coolant tank). Swore at van, nearly kicked van.

Put battery on charge, crossing fingers it will be okay. It's a 1.6 TD
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

screwbiedooo wrote:
Straightened gear stick and installed the new gear shifter assembly. Swore at van a lot.

Jump started van after slow starting in cold. Fetched new diesel from gas station as the biodiesel in the tank not helping. Finally started. Discovered new hole in exhaust downpipe. Swore at van.

Took for a test drive. Gear shifter much better but not perfect. Heater not working. Swore. Lost power. Limped home, lights fading. Swore at van some more.

Alternator belt snapped! Smoke from engine bay and horrible buzzing sound from section of cooling system (don't know what the part is, to the left of the coolant tank). Swore at van, nearly kicked van.

Put battery on charge, crossing fingers it will be okay. It's a 1.6 TD

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have the right attitude towards van ownership Smile
TrashPanda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

My new (to me) tintop was occasionally bucking under hard acceleration. Not sure about last tune-up under PO.

So:

New coil, distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, and thanks to the folks discussing them here on Samba, a set of NGK 1263 plugs. Amazed by how quick and easy the whole process was compared with some of my previous vehicles.

No more bucking! Accelerates like a lazy, overweight bat out of hell!
TrashPanda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jcannon wrote:

This graphic is a keeper.
100%

Good for a laugh, tells enough of the story to provoke intrigue, and distinguishes your van from the next shmoe's.
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I installed Vanagonlife brackets and a cheap light bar, and RMW awning brackets and a Kickass Products en-suite shower enclosure.

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Picked up a pelican case for the luggage rack. not pictured is the gowesty metal strap that secures it.

Got my spice rack and toilet box from Louis at Rhino Designs
https://rhinodesignstudio.com/vw-vanagon-consoles/
Really well made and happy with the purchase.

I changed the latches to the van with ones I picked up from mcmaster. I mounted it low so the screws wouldn't poke through and interfere with the aux tank fuel filler.

This model dometic fits perfectly. Toilet wont be going with us all the time. It will be storage for trips where we don't need it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00194F0CE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The spice rack is great. Wish I did it sooner.

I am looking for a cushion to put onto of the box for temporary seating. I've contacted sewfine with dimensions. Worse case scenario I will just order fabric and make my own.

Currently waiting on Transporter werks new bumpers. I am getting pretty close to where I want it... Jk. [/url]
alohah3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Tired of the cheesy replacement window hand cranks snapping off. Found one in my parts bin that just needed the knob. Lowe's to the rescue! Probably could have used a 8-32 x 1/2 vice 3/4 which was on hand.

16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I'm sorry but the ADD side of me wonders why you have a Brass latch and Silver Cad tie downs?

I have a factory Potty box and rarely use it for its intended purpose. If they're popping why not make it like a stock unit and use a stock latch?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.

Last edited by 16CVs on Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 583, 584, 585 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 584 of 629

Jump to: