Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 602, 603, 604 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got the leaky radiator out of the '87 and disassembled from the A/C condenser. Didn't have too much trouble, but everything just took a long time. Like letting the coolant trickle out in a controlled manner rather than making a big mess. I had some good advice, and dutifully read a few threads to get ready, and checked youtube too. After cleaning things up a bit, I noticed some wear on the condenser. I had a harder time letting the radiator down than I had heard of in threads, or videos, and I have a hunch on what has happened.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So, I made a guess that my nose had taken a hit at some point in the past, and bent in the vertical supports that are in front of the condenser. I decided to see if a large pipe wrench could help with a bend-back.. I moved them a bit, probably not much tho. Then I put some RTV on the lines that looked to have taken the 'pain' of rubber malleting the radiator down, and also put a piece of the thin cutting board material in as a slider while reinstalling..

Started at 10, as I am fairly lazy, and took a long lunch at 1. Back at it by 2:30, and finally quit at 6:50, having gotten the major parts of the job done.

Tomorrow I will find out if the new radiator is "good" or if I've had it the box for years in a 'bad-out-of-the-box' thing.. I hope not.

Update, now that it is Sunday evening:

Took advantage of what I thought would be a "good time" to switch out my Temp 1 sensor (needle/blinkey for dash, black) since I had drained so much coolant out of the system on the radiator replacement. I kind of figured I wouldn't get a squirt of coolant in my face this time. But Nope, somehow there was still plenty of coolant in the area, and sure enough, coolant in the face, and down my arm.

So, after all that, and refill coolant, I got everything back in place, and took a short trip to check for leaks. None that I could see when I got back into the garage and poked around under it for a few minutes.. Temp gauge on dash now reads properly again, new radiator seems to be fine.

On the down side, I wanted to have some heat on the little trip, so I turned up my PWM that I just got installed last week... it started out fine, then it just jumped to full blast all of a sudden and wouldn't turn back down. Then a smell I don't like at all; burned electronics! I pulled over and yanked the ash tray, and pulled the lead for + to the PWM from the stock front blower switch plug block. Cheap crap that took 5 weeks to arrive, I am guessing from a Far Eastern country, although nothing on it or the box, or the advertisement made that assertion. Grr! Since I do have a couple other PWMs on hand, I am not "put out" as much as grumpy that a: I had waited a long time for it to arrive, and b: now I have to do that whole job again. So, that is what I am calling the "Its Just Fine" end of the working on the '87 this weekend.

Oh, and an update on the '86 Westy: It is 'home' but now sits waiting attention to get the dead coil out, and the not so dead, but obviously used working one put into the stock bracket... ugh what a bunch of fun that is, AGAIN!!

I guess it is time to order more spare coils. Suggestions? I'm kind of sick of this coil replacing thing.. But, I am stuck with them until I get some cash to go MansiSpeed-MicroSquirt. I do like what I hear from folks who have installed his kit.

Last edited by bobbyblack on Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got the reverse lights working properly. They had started to occasionally not work, so after checking circuit (jumpered wires at switch) and switch, I removed the stock sorta thick washer at the switch. Then they worked in R but also flickered when shifting 3 to 4. So I got a hold of a thinner washer than stock, I think I used about .95mm vs stock 1.5mm. Working properly again.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

You could “relay” the reverse lights. Then your “old” reverse switch only has to connect 0.15 amps, and the relay provides the full 4amps to the bulbs.

I have LED bulbs in my sockets and am inclined to put back the 23w incandescents. They look bright when you’re lookin’ at them from the rear but don’t throw light far enough “in use”. I added an aux LED (tractor) light to the bumper and now I can see great (reversing). I’d prefer to delete the tractor light and get some better LEDds for the OEM sockets, if there are better reverse bulbs available.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Cutting out the swivel for my (2nd! ) passenger swivel piano hinge project.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Cleaned the glass.
Applied a new US flag sticker to the rear window.

Drove down to the beach, parked on the Esplanade for a few minutes. (Sunny and breezy, with tiny shore-breakers.)
Waved to drivers of a Westy and a beautiful Split Bus.
Cycled diff lock and A/C.

Everything A-OK.
For now.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

R1, the "transport" was kind enough to help today! It dropped 40F from 2 days ago to yesterday, and it seems persistent, local 'winter' has arrived. So, the Transport was needed to move two electric pottery wheels, a variety of colorant oxides, other materials including several hundred pounds of clay, and oddly, a half gallon of vinegar from the Summer Studio to the 'Big House' .. Thus, it is now incumbent that the R1 bus has somewhere under cover to wait out the Spring. I hope tomorrow that I can clear a path to a Winter settling place in the 'big house' garage.
ntuley94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Had to go put a new alternator in mine this morning, it died on the way home from my brothers house at 11pm. luckily I had a spare & it wasn't too far from home, so a nice Sunday morning project was kinda fun. 10 minutes to change things out & it was back on the road!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added the “piano hinge” so the passenger seat can tip up to reveal storage below, and easy battery access.

My method is not a “piano” hinge, that’s just what member puchfinnland named the mod. I just cut some pipe sections (with a 3/8” hole) that are welded alternately to the swivel base and the seat track,

I’ll put a large primary fuseblock in here. Where fuse#:
    #1 feeds “the van”, the main fuseblock.
    #2 feeds 400 watts of headlight relays.
    #3 charges the house battery

I’ll store jumper cables here too
And perhaps “electrical” spare parts or devices.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

well, this is a first for me;

Ran my furnace (CDH) fuel tank dry, got to the parking lot after work -- a LONG way from my 'office' and there was no blower noise. Figured the BMS had decided it got too cold and shut down, but no, it was at 1C according to the readings. I got my silver blanket out and laid down under the bus to harass the furnace tank, and saw that indeed, there was noting left to pump to the furnace.

Thus, it was near freezing inside my bus, and I was not happy. Conditions here seem to be the worst of the worst, always the hottest with the highest humidity, or the coldest.. Usually colder than International Falls. I don't know why. Our local chamber of commerce even got the weather reporting station moved to the warmest location possible, and its still so very cold a lot of winter mornings. And it's not even Winter yet, apparently.

So, I am filling the tank now. It is a rig-up that I use a marine fuel hook-up, and put a half full 6 gallon tank of diesel/kerosene up in the luggage rack with a boat jiggle feeder to the 3.5 Gal tank under the bus. Not ideal, but at lest I don't have to drop the tank to fill it.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Thus, it was near freezing inside my bus, and I was not happy. Conditions here seem to be the worst of the worst, always the hottest with the highest humidity, or the coldest.. Usually colder than International Falls. I don't know why. Our local chamber of commerce even got the weather reporting station moved to the warmest location possible, and its still so very cold a lot of winter mornings. And it's not even Winter yet, apparently.

it.

Ha!
This made me laugh!
Moving the official weather station location doesn't change the climate!
It only improves the public "image" of the area.
It doesn't really help anyone because it us still just as hot or cold as it has always been at your house............

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

It only improves the public "image" of the area.
It doesn't really help anyone because it us still just as hot or cold as it has always been at your house............

Image is everything... Commercial HVAC studies have shown that when workers are given the power to press the buttons on a (fake) thermostat and/or if the thermometer indicates temperatures closer to what the worker wants there is less requests for temp adjustment, less complaints about temp, and workers surveys indicate more happiness with temp even if the buttons don't do anything and the indicated temp is different than actual.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced the overflow hose from my Van Cafe Coolant Tank to the stock Overflow Tank. General check of all fuel connections while I was in there.
Belt tension check
Oil level.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Pulled the instrument cluster to fix an intermittent stutter in the light over the tach. Unplugged all connections and the speedo cable then juggled the little white cardboard inserts behind the brake-fasten belts light, played shake-out-the-little-metal-shim for the tach light, then reassembled the attachments. Light works.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I got the '87's new coil installed in the stock location. I am not sure of why, but I find the coil replacement job, as a whole, one of the most aggravating of all the routine stuff that needs done. I know that there is some guy out there with two left hands, and this is an easy to do job. That guy is not me. Every time, I've fought it for several hours until finally like magic, the bolts thread up, and it's done. Today I spotted a PO's 'temporary relocation' hole to thread a temp spare into. It seems more likely now that the coil he'd left me was a replacement. The first one I put in [August] looked to be a replacement OG stock coil. I am sure that the 'new' one will crap out at some time not too far off. I guess I can only be ready with two spares.

Good news, she fires up. Tomorrow, we'll see if we are going to be giving thanks, or taking heat. Looking for a problem free mission of 300 miles round trip.

-bobby
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
I find the coil replacement job, as a whole, one of the most aggravating of all the routine stuff that needs done.

I concur. One of the right-there-but-impossible-to-reachest jobs on the planet.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Rolled the Odo to 339,000 miles on our trip to Cedar Falls. I waved to Al Brais's house as I rolled past, no time to stop to check his turkey!

The new coil was not a total failure, but it seemed to be gutless. I might have to try something else. It'll be a while 'til I can afford to get the microsquirt kit from Marco.. But I DO intend to get the heck away from the digifant. I'm pretty "over it".

Who knew Iowa has places that are posted 65MPH?!?!?

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Received a box of new carpet today from Newton Commercial in the UK. Came early, they said to expect in January.
Nice stuff, looks to be well made. Good match, just a bit darker, slightly different texture. Same thickness, moulded, and with matching vinyl pressings.
I'll start an install thread when the time comes.

Here's a quick pic to show color.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

The new coil was not a total failure, but it seemed to be gutless. I might have to try something else. It'll be a while 'til I can afford to get the microsquirt kit from Marco.. But I DO intend to get the heck away from the digifant. I'm pretty "over it".

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2346982.jpg[img]

I'm sorry you've had such tribulations with the Digifant system.
Forgive me for not knowing but what issue are you having that has frustrated you so much?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
...[not] knowing but what issue are you having that has frustrated you so much?

Dave

Its just been these coils lately. I carry spares in my buses, usually. I carry spare injectors. I carry a fuel pump, and lots of repair parts and equipment.

Just how the coil bracket hangs on the left side, behind the compressor and mating the coil to the bracket and getting that lined up with the first bolt hole is not a heavy job, but it thoroughly exhausts me, and I need to do 'loss mitigation' since I drop the bolts at least 8 times, and have dropped coils too. Just three coils, but only two on the '87 (in just 3 months) and now the first one on the '86 Westy.

It doesn't take very many 2 or three hour jobs to add up to the costs of a microsquirt conversion. Thus, frustrated.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
djkeev wrote:
...[not] knowing but what issue are you having that has frustrated you so much?

Dave

Its just been these coils lately. I carry spares in my buses, usually. I carry spare injectors. I carry a fuel pump, and lots of repair parts and equipment.

Just how the coil bracket hangs on the left side, behind the compressor and mating the coil to the bracket and getting that lined up with the first bolt hole is not a heavy job, but it thoroughly exhausts me, and I need to do 'loss mitigation' since I drop the bolts at least 8 times, and have dropped coils too. Just three coils, but only two on the '87 (in just 3 months) and now the first one on the '86 Westy.

It doesn't take very many 2 or three hour jobs to add up to the costs of a microsquirt conversion. Thus, frustrated.

....and then it seems other vans go yeas and miles w.o these issues....wonder if there might be other causes

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 602, 603, 604 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 603 of 631

Jump to: