Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 604, 605, 606 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillySp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

This my new corner closet, it was formerly installed as a toilet wash basin furniture in an RV but I just made a couple of mods and that's it!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BillySp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Same thing at the back, I bought a brand new closet and cut it so that it would fit in place, more storage space

BillySp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

And a touch from the 80's at the front

jouko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Two months after our move from Ontario to British Columbia, it seems I’ve finally got our van Clifford up and running well. Back in October, the last day of driving through Alberta and into Fernie was a bit of a sh*t show as the turbo to manifold fasteners on my 1.8T decided to back out, making for epic noise and very little power. Anyhow, that now fixed, some niggling coolant flow issues appear to be sorted out and Clifford is about to see his first winter in 35 years of experience.

Now must investigate some oil spray, for the it seems the Crowsnest highway through Fernie is salted, so it makes it impossible to completely avoid the salt. I foresee a trip to the local Canadian Tire for some Fluid Film…
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Drove to work in the '87 Westy today. The weather guy had said maybe 2-3" on the news at 10 last pm, but it was 7-8" here. New triple peak triple flake tires were champy! No troubles whatsoever on the first mile an a half, that I broke trail on up to the highway, then it was sloppy treated mush or super packed slime for the rest of the commute. SO very very glad I could find a deal on the winter tires I just put on. The bus is very lonely in the parking lot this morning, many of my colleagues have called in "working from home" instead. I really appreciate a quiet office on a Friday!! Only means that since I am one of the few on-site, that I'll be roped into hands on stuff for the day I guess. Thats just fine with me, I like winter!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=neil+young+little+wing
BillySp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Tires and rims change competely the look of the van. New shoes, new look!

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

BillySp wrote:

Wait! isn't this a female trick?

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Hang on - I've played this game too! "That makes your van look WAY thinner! For sure!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Just din't ask which shoes I like better when you already clearly have your mind made up about which shoes you like better.

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
VeeDubn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Joke all you want, but you have to admit . . . the shoes are the one item that make the ENTIRE outfit work! Very Happy
BillySp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
BillySp wrote:

Wait! isn't this a female trick?

Dunno yours but mine is a she-van, that's why!!!
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

recently i have

-full coolant drain and fill. used to shop vac technique at reservoir and both radiator hoses and got it ALL out. required right around 5 gallons concentrate/distilled water mix to refill

-removed AC condenser

-removed clamshell to be replaced with DIY fabricated version that will fit a 15

-replaced noisy, noisy lifter

-removed, tested, and adjusted AAV

-chasing vacuum leaks and replacing hoses

-testing for idle control issues from stall at hot idle

-realized that spring connection hole at throttle body return tab was worn to the shape of and 8 rather than O and my stalling at idle has stopped for now...

-if i'm not feeling as sick tomorrow or later today, I've gotta run a compression test as engine is suddenly running like shite.

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:

-if i'm not feeling as sick tomorrow or later today, I've gotta run a compression test as engine is suddenly running like shite.

I certainly hope you are more well than ill soon! The suddenly poor running thing, gosh, that is a hard one. Simple stuff like a Marvels Mystery, or such thing might be a good thing to try. I also believe that fuels are "blended differently for Winter" and that could mess with how your engine runs. I know it is probably impossible to find ethanol free gas where you are, but from my experience, a few tanks of 10 or 15% ethanol through my rig wreak all kinds of havoc. Here in Iowa, where you'd expect ALL fuel to be corn, nope, "RV" gas is readily available... Go figure. We done make it a household name, and now we know what it actually does to the vehicles, and the planet, and we don't say a peep about how wrong we got it. I'd offer to kick Grassley's butt for you, but I don't know where he is, and I'm not pro-violence. But, I DO think he's done the country a disservice.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I’ve done nothing to the Van today.
I woke up to snow and sleet which has changed to freezing rain.
I didn’t even go outside today! 😂😂

My main task today has been feeding the wood stove logs. 🔥

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I opened the rear seat in the Van to get tools out to work on the Volvo (MAF).
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Mckinleyvillian wrote:

I certainly hope you are more well than ill soon! The suddenly poor running thing, gosh, that is a hard one. Simple stuff like a Marvels Mystery, or such thing might be a good thing to try. I also believe that fuels are "blended differently for Winter" and that could mess with how your engine runs. I know it is probably impossible to find ethanol free gas where you are, but from my experience, a few tanks of 10 or 15% ethanol through my rig wreak all kinds of havoc. Here in Iowa, where you'd expect ALL fuel to be corn, nope, "RV" gas is readily available... Go figure. We done make it a household name, and now we know what it actually does to the vehicles, and the planet, and we don't say a peep about how wrong we got it. I'd offer to kick Grassley's butt for you, but I don't know where he is, and I'm not pro-violence. But, I DO think he's done the country a disservice.

hey thanks. i hope we're feeling better soon too. got another round of covid over here. not as bad as 2 years ago but still not great.

it could be the fuel but this engine is definitely a POS on the higher end ofunknown mileage. Sitting in the shed I've got a rebuilt bottom end with 30k miles, 150 compression on all cylinders. I'm thinking this winter might be the time to bite a bullet, buy some AMC heads, a new wiring harness and get on with it. the engine was gifted to me. could get in there for the clutch, leaking rear main seal, coolant hoses etc. Maybe drive this beast x-country

and yes, ethanol gas is the pits. the handful of times i've driven x-country in my 07 subaru outback, I appreciate the heck out the ethanol free fuel available in the western midwest!

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Mckinleyvillian wrote:
Sitting in the shed I've got a rebuilt bottom end with 30k miles, 150 compression on all cylinders. I'm thinking this winter might be the time to bite a bullet, buy some AMC heads, a new wiring harness and get on with it.

STOP! You are killing me... compression of 150 on all, and you are going to replace the heads? Damn.... I've got 3 long blocks I'd rather drive out to you than support you in tearing the long block down that you've got there. But, since that isn't possible right now, I'd suggest you do the other thing you mentioned, and leave off the replacing of heads for now. Maybe there is more to the story of that long block, such as leaking water jackets, or something, but man, I'd LOVE 150..
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

My block had 147-160psi but the water jacket seals failed and I had to take it apart. I replaced the fire rings and now it does not have the same compression. Sad
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

No exactly today but I fled snow and bitter cold and drove down to Albuquerque to enjoy the hospitality and back yard of Vanis13 to get some things done on the van. Installed a front heater box I had refurbished with a PWM blower controller, installed the SHC electric power steering kit I bought a couple of years ago, added the GW 3rd brakelight kit with strobe module, and also a Jay Brown headlight relay kit.
Had some great burgers and beers listening to some local ABQ bands. All in all a great way to spend a few days! Andy is an all around nice guy and has some cool projects of his own I'm sure he'll share.
Drove home last night in steadily decreasing temps, arriving home to -8 and snow.
The front heater managed to keep the cab above freezing. I'm sure having the deleted rear heater would have helped but I'm mainly planning to travel to warmer climes.
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Mckinleyvillian wrote:
Sitting in the shed I've got a rebuilt bottom end with 30k miles, 150 compression on all cylinders. I'm thinking this winter might be the time to bite a bullet, buy some AMC heads, a new wiring harness and get on with it.

STOP! You are killing me... compression of 150 on all, and you are going to replace the heads? Damn.... I've got 3 long blocks I'd rather drive out to you than support you in tearing the long block down that you've got there. But, since that isn't possible right now, I'd suggest you do the other thing you mentioned, and leave off the replacing of heads for now. Maybe there is more to the story of that long block, such as leaking water jackets, or something, but man, I'd LOVE 150..

i haven't been specific enough. the heads were removed and used for another van. compression was 150 with those heads. now it's headless. if it was complete with 150 around, it would've been in already Laughing

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 604, 605, 606 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 605 of 631

Jump to: