Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 607, 608, 609 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanspeeder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Ya, I have some of that color/era curtains too, and they are faded or decayed, etc as well. Back in the day (when we were all Hippies, according to the stuffed shirts) My lady at the time had me tie dye a big swath of material which she cut and sewed to fit my '67 Westy. It was great.

Thats awesome. Yes they have served their time. Just have to sharpen up on my sewing skills, or pay a local shop to help me out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dave91107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Today:

Ran without the bad Decel Valve for some time fine and installed a Porsche 930 110 190 00 Vacuum Limiter-Decel Valve today. The new one looks the same as the VW (071-133-551A ) and works fine.

The Porsche 930 110 190 00 has a shorter mounting bracket, so I cut off the mounting bracket of the bad one and mounted it to the new one.

The bad Decel Valve gave the Van high idle after warming up.

Working Vacuum Limiter-Decel Valve is closed under 15 hg and open at high than 15 hg Vacuum .
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Made a half-moon bolt for the starter since I've got the transaxle on my workbench waiting for the weather to warm up enough to put it back in the van.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Clever ^^^^ bolts like that were standard on newer AirCooled engines.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

How does that work when the original bolt threads in you tighten?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
How does that work when the original bolt threads in you tighten?

<runs out to driveway to make sure I'm not crazy>

There's definitely a nut on the engine side of that bolt and not a threaded hole (unless there is and this bolt isn't factory and is not the correct size). I had to use a jury-rigged a needle nose vise-grip set up to hold it in place rather than take the throttle body off. But, you're right, it might've been easier for future access to capture the nut on the engine case somehow. I hope I can get a wrench in there... Confused

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Some of the later air cooled cases had a captured nut in the case in lieu of the loose nut.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I'll have to take a closer look on mine.

Fwiw

My 83.5 manual has a threaded Allen bolt and a Subaru adapter plate...IIRC it has this on the prior 1.9 engine

Not a fan of the long bolt because of the odd placed Allen socket. I've often thought of doing that tominalaska had done but haven't done it for some reason - likely because I didn't think it would work. I'll have to look again.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
I'll have to take a closer look on mine.

Fwiw

My 83.5 manual has a threaded Allen bolt and a Subaru adapter plate...IIRC it has this on the prior 1.9 engine

Not a fan of the long bolt because of the odd placed Allen socket. I've often thought of doing that tominalaska had done but haven't done it for some reason - likely because I didn't think it would work. I'll have to look again.

I lay even odds it works brilliantly or I have to break out the angle grinder/find a new bolt. In any case, I'll report back in a few days. Its supposed to get up to 30F on Tuesday and I've got the day off! Cool

LobWedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Old Westy skylight... Shocked

New Westy skylight and seal, courtesy of Dr. Bjorn's Auto... Cool

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

End of last week I cleaned 1 oil fouled spark plug, [#4], and replaced 1 fuel hose for now[ it's time for the 5 yr plan of all the rubber hoses being replaced]. And replaced a collapsing breather hose with a new one from Van Cafe.
Vacuumed the accumulation of Beach Sand and Dog hair out of the interior, and the front rubber mats.
I have to say that the Value of the Rubber Floor Mats for how long and how well they're wearing is kind of amazing after being installed in late 2018. By now, any other rubber floor mats we would have a hole in the drivers heel area.
I've worn the ribbed section down at this section, but the wear seems to hold off going any faster at the accelerator pedal area. Cool

Today it's a wash and wax this afternoon after work.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

first day without rain and cold in weeks. got back to the power steering... cleaned up the new to me high pressure hose i purchased via classifieds for $50. got it looking real spiffy

got things set up and ready to install, going well etc until I got to the G W proprietary banjo bolt w/sensor fitting.

it didn't come with crush washers, so i ran to 2 hardware stores and 3 FLAPS. no one had anything that fit. an hour later i get home and found some unused washers in a deep, deep parts bucket. right on!

until I torque down the banjo bolt to the spec 29 FP and the damn thing shears in half!!!!!!!! Luckily i was able to get the bottom half out of the PS pump, but wtf, man.

Hopefully customer service does me right and send me another on the house as I'd just gotten this thing in the mail 6 hours ago...

with that, i'm driving without PS and it's actually pretty nice. my weird stalls at idle seem to have subsided. wondering if the PS switch has been bad anyways.

While not using PS, is it best practice to keep the reservoir filled with fluid, or can it be dry?

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I've installed my rebuilt front diff with front locker + Peloquin!
I have a Peloquin rear differential too.

I did try one little stunt on 2 diagonal-wheels, slight uphill, and the van
_did move forward_ but with both lifted wheels "slipping."

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Very cool, next time post video. Cool
Bransongraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Pulled the motor!
I’ve done it twice before with my brother in law on his vans but first Time on mine! Went pretty smoothly. My plan is to replace all the gaskets and inspect the heads, I’ll also have to repair the spark plug hole after my spark plug decided that it saw itself as more of a rocket ship rather than an integral part of my motor and shot out of my van after a sweet camping trip.

Had to take the obligatory “in the engine bay” photo, I must say, I look good wearing a van!
Also note the crack in the exhaust pipe, almost fully detached!

1985 1.9 Wolfsburg weekender 2WD.
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Took advantage of the sun to wash, wax, and polish the van.

Before

After

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Marine blue Vanagons shine up so nicely!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Marine blue Vanagons shine up so nicely!

Yes! This van has what i believe is a nice cost of original paint. Trying to keep it half way decent. Figure if it looks clean the noisy engine isnt so bad Laughing

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
KBake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

You haven’t lived until you have pulled exhaust studs from a 37 year old engine. PB blaster did the trick and a new go westy exhaust setup is heading my way. I had a backfire I believe due to a clogged muffler or cat and it finally let loose.

When everything got loose I noticed this crack near the junction probably been there since I have owned the van over the past few years. Glad to knock another thing off the list on this roadstoration van.

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The red LED on the coolant gauge has been blinking steadily again so checked the coolant level and added nearly a gallon, and while in the engine compartment noticed a drip that will need to be tended to, an old hose getting crusty and leaking. That must be where the water is escaping.

Also replaced my tattered old blue rear seat cover with a recent find, another found blanket to take the place of the first one.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 607, 608, 609 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 608 of 631

Jump to: