Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 609, 610, 611 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

TomInAlaska wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pulled the windshield to replace the severely cracked glass and to clean up any rust under the rubber (mercifully, there was only some surface pitting and no cancer!) and pulled the dash to reseal the leaky heater core.
If you haven't already read all the "Things to do while the Dash is Out" posts, now's the time... Here are just a few.. Wiper spindle/linkage greasing/lubing, insulation add-ons, ground tree cleaning and modifiying, wiper motor greasing/inspection, pedal clevis wear/lubing, etc
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
TheWestyDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I tried my best to paint these and will have to be happy with them for now. They perfectly fit over the factory allen bolt that holds in the armrest. They also do not move, so they always stay upright.

You can check out my google photos and see way more.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rx6YQyqC6oTGuKxp7

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Took it--not leaking after my repair--to be inspected and it passed. Those guys at the dealership must consider me a mascot or something because they charge me nothing for the service (normally $20) and they have repeatedly passed it with an exhaust system that I consider to be pretty far gone.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

TheWestyDude wrote:

I really like the design detail here! Cool

FWIW, you might be able to get a cleaner "look" by painting the whole cap, allow to fully dry,
then flat sand down to the raised image leaving the background paint intact...???

<shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Temporary repacking of the drivers outer wheel bearing, water got in and rusted it a bit. New bearings on order.
Replaced drivers sliding window rubber channel, and the horizontal felt seal. No more rattle from the glass while driving.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced driver rear CVJs, Lobro kits. Thanks, Adrian!

Today: Ordered 5 new tires. They should be here Tuesday.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Charlyfarp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I changed the radiator fan speed switch and now the low speed and high speed work. Didn't have low speed.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yesterday: Oil & filter changed.
Today: New tires.

'86 Syncro tintop

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced drivers wheel bearings, hub seal, and front pads. Flushed the brake fluid as well. Front rotors were still way above minimum, so no rotors needed.
Tomorrow is oil change.
TheWestyDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
TheWestyDude wrote:

I really like the design detail here! Cool

FWIW, you might be able to get a cleaner "look" by painting the whole cap, allow to fully dry,
then flat sand down to the raised image leaving the background paint intact...???

<shrug>

- Dave

Since it's made out of PLA plastic, I think that the top image would potentially melt and/or break away. I will try printing again but the VW logo will need to be a few mm taller and in a higher resolution. Then either dip the logo in blue acrylic paint or 3-D print it in two colors. Have you sanded PLA plastic, and have you had much success? What grit did you use, and did you work with such small pieces? I sure haven't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RasBobre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got my ‘81 out of winter storage today. It’s been a long winter here in Tahoe and I’m really happy that I was able to keep her in a garage all winter. Would have been hugely buried! Did have to jumpstart, even though I tried to start every 3-4 weeks. There was a mouse living in the cabinet above the bed, but did little damage. Checked all wiring, no visible damage. One thing that changed though is the wiper pump went out. Wipers work. Need to see what else my be on the same fuse. A new wiper pump was installed last summer. Happy to have her back! …..but more snow expected next week.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

TheWestyDude wrote:
…it's made out of PLA plastic, I think that the top image would potentially melt and/or break away... Have you sanded PLA plastic, and have you had much success? What grit did you use, and did you work with such small pieces?

I don’t know anything about PLA specifically…I’m suggesting a slow gentle hand sanding
on a flat surface, which I’ve done for similar small plastic projects. It might work!

<shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed the two GOWESTY rear seat belts we ordered a few months ago. They seem nice and installation went pretty quick too.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I put a Napa Group 41 in the '87 in early 2016, there were a few times this winter that I felt it was nearing the end of service (possibly unrelated to the battery age, but who knows). I could have gone back to Napa and got a direct replacement, but now that I have most of my utilities hooked to the House LFP system, I went with the T5 Maxx. It is much easier to get in/out, and perhaps fit a few things like a shunt, or other wiring bits in the box.

So, 7 years from now, I wonder how the T5 Maxx will have stood up compared to the Napa Group 41. Or, if I will find the culprit was something else that made my mind up ... the '87 had a hard time starting up on Monday if I didn't drive one day on the weekend. Thus, perhaps another few weekends in the garage where I drive my other rigs will clue me in!

Oh, and I didn't trade '87's battery in, I had another 'core' that was actually shot to trade in. The seven year old Napa Group 41 went into one of the Subaru transplanted rigs that don't see much action lately.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
I put a Napa Group 41 in the '87 in early 2016, there were a few times this winter that I felt it was nearing the end of service (possibly unrelated to the battery age, but who knows).

So, 7 years from now, I wonder how the T5 Maxx will have stood up compared to the Napa Group 41. Or, if I will find the culprit was something else that made my mind up ... .

6/26/2022 BCE56 wrote:
Today I bid a fond farewell to the trusty "Werker" brand battery.
At nearly 13 years old it was ready for retirement.
I hope the new Interstate MT 41 provides good service.
We shall see...

6/27/2022:
Hooked up the battery charger... Rolling Eyes
Turns out a faulty connection at foglight switch was the culprit all along. Embarassed

'86 Syncro tintop

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:
I put a Napa Group 41 in the '87 in early 2016, there were a few times this winter that I felt it was nearing the end of service (possibly unrelated to the battery age, but who knows).

So, 7 years from now, I wonder how the T5 Maxx will have stood up compared to the Napa Group 41. Or, if I will find the culprit was something else that made my mind up ... .

6/26/2022 BCE56 wrote:
Today I bid a fond farewell to the trusty "Werker" brand battery.
At nearly 13 years old it was ready for retirement.
I hope the new Interstate MT 41 provides good service.
We shall see...

6/27/2022:
Hooked up the battery charger... Rolling Eyes
Turns out a faulty connection at foglight switch was the culprit all along. Embarassed

Color me a Debbie Downer........ but you won't get that life out of this new battery.......

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Color me a Debbie Downer........ but you won't get that life out of this new battery.......

Ya I'm skeptical too Dave. I sure hope, 7 years from now, you and I can share in a toast. I'd sure like to meet you on the Eastern Seaboard for a nice dinner; if this T5 makes it til then, drinks are on you!

Cheers!

Bobby
Twan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added a VanagonLife center console so I no longer spill my horchata.

Replaced the incredibly bright, but not period-correct looking Morimoto Sealed7s with a pair of Holley RetroBrights.

BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Earlier this week- Had a cracked header collector welded.

Yesterday- Sealed leaky sunroofs installed by PO with HVAC tape. (Previous attempts were unsatisfactory.) A semi-permanent repair this time as the correct gaskets are NLA.

Today- Drive-thru car wash. NO Leaks! Very Happy Thoroughly cleaned windows inside and out. Applied dressing to new tires.

'86 Syncro tintop

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Today I replaced my radiator fan switch. Disappointed.

Problem needing to be solved: dash indicator showing high, no low speed fan. Dash indicator starting to blink: no high speed fan.

Test: jumpered fan wires, both speeds performed as expected.

Today's results; took trip to town, which involves many minutes of gravel road which I idle in 2nd, so very slow. Trip home saw temp needle climbing higher and higher. No low speed fan. On arrival at home, left the engine idling and monitored the temp gauge. Flipped the A/C on and heard low speed fan go, so switched off A/C and waited.

Dash indicator flashing red LED started and I let it blink 10 times. Just as I was about to shut the engine down, the high speed fan kicked in. I was saying to myself "at least the high speed fan part works" and was shutting the door. The fan only ran for about 3 seconds, and my shutting the door happened at the exact same time the fan stopped, I was confused... I let the engine idle for a little longer, and the high speed fan popped on again but for only 6 or so seconds. Dash light continued to blink. I pulled into the garage and shut it down.

Supposition: Over the winter, I had a temp 1 sensor go bad. I found one on one of my spare engines, and put it in place, with only the usual squirt of coolant I had not expected since I was doing my radiator replacement at that same time and had let the coolant drain... nope, still squirted me. Perhaps the Temp 1 sensor I put in shows higher on the indicator, and thus the LED blinks sooner than it used to? I am not certain on how the needle indicator and LED function together.

Addendum: I don't actually recall hearing the low speed fan ever coming on (by its self). I know it is supposed to be more quiet, but I do hear the fan kick on with the A/C, and I assume that the noise I am hearing in that case is the low speed fan. Is this correct? If so, did I just replace a fan switch without good reason? Perhaps the old switch is actually just fine?

-bobby
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 609, 610, 611 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 610 of 631

Jump to: