Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 610, 611, 612 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillRB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Changed engine oil and transaxle fluid. Transaxle only had ~6000 miles so gear oil looked fine (Royal Purple), but it was my first chance to take a look after extensive driving. Some Amsoil went back in.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Noticed my Clutch slave was leaking and an idle issue has gotten worse. Sometimes it feels like there is always something. Have a trip planned to NM, UT, and AZ at end of May so need to get them sorted.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Today I replaced my radiator fan switch. Disappointed.
I don't actually recall hearing the low speed fan ever coming on (by its self). I know it is supposed to be more quiet, but I do hear the fan kick on with the A/C, and I assume that the noise I am hearing in that case is the low speed fan. Is this correct? If so, did I just replace a fan switch without good reason? Perhaps the old switch is actually just fine?

-bobby

When I got my van the low speed fan did not kick in when A/C was switched on, and system would not accept refrigerant. A new fan resistor solved that particular problem. *
That low speed fan is hard to hear from the cab when A/C is running. Occasionally I step outside to verify it is operating.

I seldom hear the low speed fan unless idling for extended periods, creeping along in heavy traffic or pulling grades on days above mid-high 80s.
This occurs when needle rises, but before the temp LED blinks.

Not sure if the high speed fan engages simultaneously w/ blinking LED. But when it does, there is no doubt about it.
When it comes on (rarely), I immediately turn off the A/C. Fan returns to low speed in a couple of minutes.

* Note- This solved the initial problem- other issues cropped up later as A/C aged further.
There are several A/C system components that affect engine temp management. These will make diagnosis difficult if not all operating properly.
After several unsuccessful attempts to address the possible failure points I had the entire A/C system refurbished by an A/C shop familiar w/ Subie-equipped Vanagons.
(You can check my Samba posts if interested.)

This was not inexpensive but I have functioning A/C and satisfactory engine temp management.
For now...

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Now that it's finally warm enough to work on the van, I wanted to wash the engine bay at the car wash. I was a little worried about spattering inside the van and remembered I had a piece of corrugated plastic left over from my solar panel project. Made a wrap around shield with a flap over the part of the access hatch under the cabinet.
Worked great.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JIME82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

First post on the forum. Recently did quite the bit of upgrades:

- replaced transmission drive flanges on both sides
- restored the swing arms, had them blasted and coated and fitted them with new rubbers.
- new 15" Merc white steelies with Falken Wildpeak at3w's, 10mm widened at the rear and 5 at the front.
- restored the pop top, sanding, filled all scatches and holes, repainted in RAL 9010 white, just like the wheels. All stainless bolts.
- new upholstered inside of the pop top, including new skylight hardware. All stainless bolts
- new Monroe shocks and CS Germany Heavy Duty springs, lifted the van 1 inch.
- new drum brake hubs, shoes, cilinder and brake lines.
- new little roofrack for my solar panel including a laser cut VW logo. Plan for May/June is to make the big one for the pop top too.

Still so many to do's..... Laughing

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Nice work on a sweet looking van…keep it up & welcome to Samba!

Twisted Evil

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
JIME82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Thanks. Have been digesting tons of information here for the past two years. Now it is time to start contributing too. Grey Vanagon
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Resealed the fuel evap system as there has been a gas smell when full since last fall. Last reseal done by me in 2012 along with a new tank,, figured I wouldn’t need to attend to this again for a long time. How time flies!

While under there I thought a lower control arm bolt didn’t look right. Also last touched by me about 10 years ago putting in power flex poly bushings. I don’t remember replacing the bolts, so maybe I reused the originals. Anyway when I went to torque it, it either snapped then or was already snapped. Maybe I found the mystery clunk I’ve been chasing. Exclamation New lower control arm hardware ordered (both sides, why not) from t3technique. It never stops with these rigs.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got some new shoes.....

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Got some new shoes.....

What does a set of 4 of those tires cost in your area? Nice looking too.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

[quote="jlrftype7"]
PDXWesty wrote:
Got some new shoes.....

My recently purchased set of 5 cost a bit under $1200 (after $100 rebate) mounted, balanced and installed w/ new valve cores.

My credit card is groaning but new tires were overdue.

Next up- shocks, struts and brakes.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
PJ Snow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Same! 215/75R 15’s

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Repaired the steps we did ~10 years ago.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CsbwhlSIpx5/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:

4 tires at Costco cost were $670 after a $110 rebate. $195 each.

Costco wouldn't mount my tires because I have wheel spacers, so I'm heading to another shop for that.
Twan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

4 tires at Costco cost were $670 after a $110 rebate. $195 each.

Costco wouldn't mount my tires because I have wheel spacers, so I'm heading to another shop for that.

Kind of annoying that they won't touch anything unless it's stock size tires, or anything regardless of how modified, like your wheel spacer situation. At least the Discount Tire near me are pretty good about stuff like that.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Cracked the windshield while installing the dash Sad

https://www.instagram.com/p/Csq2yLhI5Lv/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:

Did you HIT the glass with the Dash, or something else happened??? Confused Confused Sorry for your ..loss.... Crying or Very sad
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
ZsZ wrote:

Did you HIT the glass with the Dash, or something else happened??? Confused Confused Sorry for your ..loss.... Crying or Very sad

Thanks!
My hand slid as I was grabbing the plastic dash tidy/cup holder thingy and the double sided tape let it go.
I hit it with the middle finger knuckle as I can see.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

pics without insta:

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

You punched your windshield?
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
You punched your windshield?

Yup! And it was not even a hard punch.

I was going to change the windscreen anyways as it is badly scratched by the wipers and started to de-laminate on the bottom.
I was postponing it since I got the van in 2006, but now I have to do it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 610, 611, 612 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 611 of 629

Jump to: