Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 611, 612, 613 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I preemptively replaced the ignition switch since it had started to show signs of age and wear such as flickering the power while turning the key to crank. And there's no telling just how old it is or how cheap it was. Anyway, one from GW went in and now there's no flickering power and as a bonus, the warning buzzer now works! Ask me a few weeks if I got tired of it and unplugged it, but for now its kinda neat that it still works after all this time.

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced plastic shifter tabs. (Thanks, Adrian!) A noticeable improvement.

Received Subie TKF003 timing belt kit for installation next week. Will also service injectors at that time.

Suspension, brakes and alignment up next. Bilstein B4 shocks & struts should arrive Tuesday.
I predict a set of used OMEs will be available soon...

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed ball valves on both the fresh water tank drain and sink drain.

The former purchased from ALIKA T3 here on the classifieds ( https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2569668 ) and the latter purchased at my local home improvement store. The hole size isn't very large on the sink drain valve, and looks like it could potentially get clogged with a small piece of food debris. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see how it does. It drains water just fine though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

It has been a long time coming. But I installed my sew fine interior panels and upgraded to uniwerks aluminum door levers and syncrotimes aluminum handles. The rear forward quarter panel was the biggest pain because of the bench seat removal. But it looks great. I might have to mess with the slider one… first one I did in a while.

-Joe
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Did a compression and leakdowntest after returning from stoney creek kayak fest. Old wastley is smoking hard on start up! Compression was pretty good 140 across the board. Leakdown showed between 16-18 percent, with the loss coming from the valves. Crying or Very sad He has 1.8 of unknown mileage running on digi2. Hate to invest in the old 1.8. Thinking a swap is in my future either ABA (straight bolt in) but leaning to K24, thinking its time to bring him into the modern world Laughing
Twan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Re-riveted my accelerator pedal back in place. Thankfully the holes in the floor are still in great shape, just the rivet itself disintegrated. Unfortunately I bent the pedal linkage shaft by brute-forcing the pedal before I could fix it, so that's on the list for replacement now.
Dave Wood Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

replaced the rubber seal around the front windshield. I noticed some wet spots on the floor and knew it was this old dried up seal (at least I hope).

Put it off because I've only done once before and I had no help. Wound up doing it myself over the weekend. Took about 3 hours because it seemed I had the seal slightly off center. I tried to put the seam at the bottom center but with my carpal tunnel issues my hands have a hard time and when I finally did get the seal installed it was off center about 5 inches and one lower corner wanted to fall off each time I lifted it in place. Once I removed seal and started again I got it centered

All in all not really hard job to do just a bit nerve wracking worrying about dropping or breaking the windshield. I just used soap and water to install

To remove I used razorblade to cut inside rubber and simply lifted it off and put on saw horses to work seal.

Luckily no rust under the seal too Very Happy

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Dave Wood wrote:
replaced the rubber seal around the front windshield. I noticed some wet spots on the floor and knew it was this old dried up seal (at least I hope).

Put it off because I've only done once before and I had no help. Wound up doing it myself over the weekend. Took about 3 hours because it seemed I had the seal slightly off center. I tried to put the seam at the bottom center but with my carpal tunnel issues my hands have a hard time and when I finally did get the seal installed it was off center about 5 inches and one lower corner wanted to fall off each time I lifted it in place. Once I removed seal and started again I got it centered

All in all not really hard job to do just a bit nerve wracking worrying about dropping or breaking the windshield. I just used soap and water to install

To remove I used razorblade to cut inside rubber and simply lifted it off and put on saw horses to work seal.

Rope or heavy string to pull it in for you, or just hand pressure? Nice job by the way.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Dave Wood Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Dave Wood wrote:

Rope or heavy string to pull it in for you, or just hand pressure? Nice job by the way.

Thanks, I used a rope that was about 3/8 thick which I think was a little too big to pull it in. I soaked the rope in soapy water to help it slide in the seal
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced a torn CV boot and cleaned and repacked the CV joint. Has anybody experienced a failure like this one? Seems a little premature since these CVs and boots only have about 2k miles on them and are supposed to be the good Rockford ones from GW.

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

TomInAlaska wrote:
Replaced a torn CV boot and cleaned and repacked the CV joint. Has anybody experienced a failure like this one? Seems a little premature since these CVs and boots only have about 2k miles on them and are supposed to be the good Rockford ones from GW.

Yup, almost identical damage, within maybe 5-7k miles. Was very disgusted.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Do I detect the marks left by a zip-tie on the end that broke off?
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Do I detect the marks left by a zip-tie on the end that broke off?

Yep, a couple of weeks ago when I saw what was going on I added a ziptie to hold the separated end piece hard against the rest of the boot until I had a chance to swap it out. The hope was to minimize anything getting in there as much as possible. None of the others have or had any sort of clamp or anything on the little ends. I think I'll make a dedicated topic for this cause issue I have some thoughts and would like the input of the group.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

FWIW: “Stiff Rockford CV boots - clamps REQUIREDhttps://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679378

<shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Bilsteins were delivered on time.
Suspension and brake refurb pending.

Passed smog test today Smile

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atticon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished up my LED dimmable lighting install in the ceiling.

before

after

dimmer location
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

After a not encouraging leak down last weekend, head off for a quick freshen up while a finalize swap plans.

Robsmaze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

After a ninth month vacation at the local VW restorers body shop (where she spent at least a month hanging out with a brubaker box next to her - so cool) my westy returned home. Full windows out paint, all rusty panels replaced, etc…

The interior rebuild began. I forgot to take pics as I did the slider, but I have been applying a layer of kilmat followed by 1/2” dynaliner before trim panels are put back on…

The brubaker…

shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

After a bone-rattling attempt to get over a road in Anza Borrego clearly meant for a four-wheel drive vehicle, and backing down that road for half a mile, I've been chasing the cause for my engine stalling and running rich. After cleaning grounds and reattaching one that pulled loose, I replaced the plug to the Hall Sending Unit with a kit I got from Van Cafe. Seems to have fixed issues I didn't know I had.

Last edited by shadetreemech on Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Two projects last night. My power mirrors would not work. I tried new switches, I tried tinkering with gears and motors. I threw in the towel and got the GoWesty manual mirror kit. They are great. The lower bolt on the passenger side was a bit of challenge as the rivnut was spinning. Otherwise smooth.

This one wasn't helping.

This one was just judging me.

they work.

And a little thing, I replaced the old incandescent festoon bulbs with LEDs and wow I have no idea how hot the old ones got.

-Joe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 611, 612, 613 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 612 of 629

Jump to: