Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We drilled around the sides and top of the slider opening and installed snaps to anchor the improved screen (vinyl edged, magnet closure, no-see-um netted) being finished before our next trip. We have been using a bungeed screen but need something the dog is less likely to charge through.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to flushing my brake fluid today. You know, the every two year job. I had my wife and teenage son help me, and you know what, we had a really fun time. Nothing like keeping the family involved.
(by the way it had been about 5 years since it was done last Rolling Eyes - I'm a baaad boy)
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Brake fluid flush........... every two year job Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
Finally got around to flushing my brake fluid today. You know, the every two year job. I had my wife and teenage son help me, and you know what, we had a really fun time. Nothing like keeping the family involved.
(by the way it had been about 5 years since it was done last Rolling Eyes - I'm a baaad boy)

Interesting story.

I purchased my first Vanagon in '85. It was an '83. By 1987 the master cylinder was leaking brake fluid down onto my feet when I was driving it.

I installed a new master cylinder. In reading about the brake system, I saw the instructions about changing the brake fluid every two years.

Well, here is the interesting story................ since 1987, I have done nothing to the brakes other than change pads and shoes.......ZERO.

The Vanagon has been to Alaska and back 7 times, to Key West, all across the Gulf region from Central Louisania to Florida and the entire length of I-75, and tons of local driving .....................

It has no brake issues to this day!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not today, but in the past month or so:

New fuel lines
flush coolant system
New tires
Oil change (with filter)

All very rewarding, except the oil.

Up next...brake lines, and caliper services a la captainpartytime. And an estimate for damage from a rearending.
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove the 86 syncro sunroof to work, as usual.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a Yakima Rocketbox on Craigslist for $200
Sold the racks that came with it for $100 on Craigslist.
Chopped my 15+ yr/old Yakima Hi-rise kit down to 1.5"
Cleaned up the towers to get another 15 years out of everything....
Replaced TB gasket.

Made a carpet block from a li'l chunk of 2x4 to help my heel when driving long distances.....
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the refer and installed the gowesty check valve update. I cleaned out the burner box and sanded all the crud off of the igniter and the burn sensor. I installed the gowesty sink foot switch. I disconnected the city water and installed a 12v recepticle. I changed the oil. The refer fires right up now, the foot switch works great, and the 12v recepticle works good. While the refer was out I checked for rust and there was NONE! Very Happy Very Happy I also washed the van, and cleaned out all the crud from last weekends camping trip to Cherry Lake next to Yosemite. Thats about it.
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picked up thule adventurer box on craigslist for 80 bucks and installed it.
boy, does it make the van look better!
I am looking for a pair of thule 300 guttter feet, artificial rain gutter, and a 58" bar for the third bar set up at the front. Does any one have any thing left over from his/her set up?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed a new fuel pump and filter. I had broken the plastic outlet on the pump while trying to remove the original clamp and hose, darn it. I was only out to change the filter at the start. On startup I discovered a leak at the infamous firewall plastic fitting and so found a grommet for the firewall opening and a brass barb fitting to use in replacing the plastic piece. Jeez, are the factory guys trying to kill us with this plastic crap? Good thing we're fighting them by sending cigarettes over there.

Oh, and I tested my homemade bolt-and-two-nuts tool for removing the transmission fill and drain plugs. Broke them loose very nicely, so I'll be changing the trans fluid soon.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a Gary Lee rear hatch mounted rack from the classifieds. It's the original one with the drop down shelf. See an example here on his website: ---> http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/rack.htm This thing is bomb proof! Picked it up for carrying bikes/luggage/coolers/ill-behaved children.

Also threw in one of those small, corded indoor/outdoor thermometers you can find from auto-parts stores (or Fred Meyers). I put it just atop the steering column, below the dash. It wedges in nicely, allows easy view of outside and inside temps without being obtrusive.

Last edited by 1621 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced a rear wheel cylinder. After letting the van sit for a week I could see the puddle of brake fluid by the rear wheel. When I got in and pressed the brake pedal it went right to the floor. Took about 45 minutes total, and half of that was battling with the brake line that didnt want to come out of the old cylinder.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to be able to retest for state inspection, I replaced the front brake pads (don't know what he measured because the old ones still had 5-6 mm pad material remaining), ordered a new turn signal bulb socket (corrosion on the old one), and removed the second, PO-installed low-mount rearview mirror because he says I can't have two inside rerview mirrors. That's a shame because the low one lets you see past the Westy upper cabinet relly well.

I also removed the passenger door window in order to see why is it binding when we crank it back up. Regulator seems to work smoothly, so it must be the fit of the glass in the frame. Ordered new scrapers for the outside of both doors and I also used the last of my B-Quiet on the inside of the door. HUGE difference between the sound of the right vs. the left when closing. Even when putting the key in the lock the sound it makes is muffled on the right vs. a faint echoing the left.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Vanagon today Reply with quote

I just looked at it.

Hard at work on my 30' X 54' garage ....... for tinkering on my VWs! Very Happy
kirsplat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally upgraded to 15" Rheins and BFG All Terrain TA's. What a difference in handling and stability! I have been waiting a long time for this upgrade so it feels good it's finally here. Then I cleaned her up a bit and loaded the squirt boat. Own you charc!

berge13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Ride.... Where do you get the bra.? I need one a those....
Had the same effect when I put the new LTs on my 83.5 GL.
Thanks,
berge
Prior:
59 Ragtop
66 Barndoor
71 TinTop Westy
69 Karmann Ghia
62 Bus
83.5 Vanagon
kirsplat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I got the bra off Craigslist for cheap. You can find them here: http://www.colgancustom.com/shop_vparts.php#1

Chris
OxygenDestroyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirsplat wrote:
Finally upgraded to 15" Rheins and BFG All Terrain TA's. What a difference in handling and stability! I have been waiting a long time for this upgrade so it feels good it's finally here. Then I cleaned her up a bit and loaded the squirt boat. Own you charc!

Whwere did you get the Rheins 15"ers"? I can't find them anywhere.
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On caturday, i installed new Bilstein HD shocks, cut down the bumpstops (1 ring too many though Sad ), installed some new Weitec green springs, and finally got around to doing the tie rod ends.

Now i just need an alignment, and ill be golden.

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
kirsplat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got lucky. I had been looking for them for a long time too. A friend of mine bought two sets from Van Cafe before they went out of stock. He had them sitting around for a while thinking he was going to mount studded tires on them but decided not to. So I snatched 'em up.

Good luck with your hunting!

Chris
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vacuum lines replaced. Engine is noticably smoother now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 629

Jump to: