Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 445, 446, 447 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbitual
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Thought I'd post some pics of my interior build this fall, it was an old Weekender that we ripped out the old cabinets and A/C. Now we have a queen size bed on the bottom and still a decent amount of storage with kitchen chuck box. I was thinking of making the plans available for the chuck box, it's been very handy!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hobbitual
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Forgot one, here's the chuck box full. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Repaired an exhaust leak on my 89 Carat...

I had a crack at this exhaust flange welded about 8 months ago. The weld left the flange out of square and it would not hold a gasket very long. So, using an angle grinder and file, I re-squared it. So, now a gasket seals properly.... no more leaks and a better running engine. (Leaky exhaust affects the Ox sensor data.)

Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Changed the fuel filter in the Syncro. Son of a bitch! Now I know what all the fuss is about. Definitely best to take the filter out whilst still in the bracket. Homemade clamps minimized fuel spillage.
dbirtch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed new flooring

roughed in the switch and new interior LED lights.
madworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dbirtch wrote:
Installed new flooring

Looks fantastic!
How far under the cabinet does the flooring go?
Madworks 1980 Vanagon Westy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672496&highlight=
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

On my Multivan I/we replaced my once broken stock shifter with a new Brickwerks solid Shifter from T3 Techniques. That shifter is really nice and installed like a dream.
As long as we are pushing brands, I also installed a set of Burley Transmission mounts / rings.
Changed the stock tire carrier to a modified stock carrier along with a Burley Steering shaft protector to enable me to fit my 15" Rhein wheel in the stock location. It fits but is very tight.
Anyway off to Baja to go on put a few miles of abuse on my road warrior.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Windex_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed a new luggage rack seal, couldn't have been an easier task. Although, I did find out the PO was fat, or his GF was. Since the back had a 6" crack repaired with silicone.
MuespachRam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I did the most exciting thing possible today (yesterday technically)....we collected out Vanagon.... drove it home, 4 hours down the highway, cruised along at 65 mph all the way and never missed a beat.

Today we are taking it to the Lakeland VW classic show...after a decent clean out.
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Always nice to have a looong drive with no suprises! Shocked

Today...yesterday I chopped out the darn near worthless drivers side seat swivel. This had two great merits for me, one was my knees would now fit under the steering wheel WITH ROOM! Im 6'2.5" and long legged so this is great. Two it cleared off the little space below the seat which I plan to use as a handy dandy storge space, hopefully lockable.

Btw that thing with the sheet metal weighs 19.5#s! Shocked

Anyone know where I can get some stock grey carpet? Just a small peice.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Started the day with Henry the '65 split Deluxe, got a good ways with the mouse house removal, and finally got the Driver door to open, then moved on to the Vanagon. Had been stocking up projects for a few months waiting for a nice day, or the shop to warm up enough. So, my 15 YO daughter and I had a good time and made good use of 57F and sunny weather all afternoon. She mostly peered down from the upper bunk, and asked lots of good questions.

I checked fridge function. Battery, yes. 120V, yes. Propane, no. decided to try to get the chained plug out and see if there is water in there... It is stuck bad. Gonna have to come out all the way to get some heat on it, I guess. I decided not to go that route today tho, and instead, got the antenna replaced, did the "temporary headlight holder fix" with drywall fasteners and fuel line. Only 4 needed the temp fix, but since I was into the assembly to do the antenna, I got motivated and did both sides. Then gave a rough aiming of the lamps to put that to rest for a while.

Also, had the seal for the slider outside handle since December, so I did that too. Was lucky to have the panel come free without breaking any of the clips!! Oh, and at the end of the season last fall, I had a rear bumper corner go missing. I got a full set to have on hand, and today I got both sides of the rear bumper done. Looking much better.

I am not looking forward to getting all the cabinets out to fix the kitchen rot, but I have the metal to do it all on hand. That will be a big job!!! Has to be done some time I guess. Still a lot to sort out, but I am totally enthused! The kids all love our VWs Smile
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

You know, I hear good things about swapping out those dangerously dim headlights for some sweet H4s…

Got any room in the bunkhouse? And a few more projects? I would like to have to spent the day like you did.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
You know, I hear good things about swapping out those dangerously dim headlights for some sweet H4s…

Got any room in the bunkhouse? And a few more projects? I would like to have to spent the day like you did.

Well, actually, I do have room. Warm weather brings plenty of space here. I don't heat most of it, but I have about 12 guest rooms ready most of the time. Have to share 3 bathrooms between them tho. My folks are pretty gregarious, and I guess it must have rubbed off on me. Oh, and we have a few Beard families around the neighborhood as well. John Beard is a good friend of mine Smile

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I put fabulous new carpet in, $27 at Home Depot. It doesn't go all the way to the front, but it's wide enough to provide cover and the colors match perfectly...As my neighbor said, "one step closer to an Uncle Rico van."

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got the GoWesty rear heater valve at 9AM, got home and installed it over lunch break. Then drove the Wesy back to work Smile Nice day here, maybe a bit windy, but real good Spring day.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

ripped out the old, yellowed, cracking window trim. Looks better now.

Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced my rigid Fuel Filler Vent Hose with flexible fuel hose.

I was filling up the tank until I could see gas start to come out of the chew hole... worked pretty good! Left a few small puddles at the gas stations though.

The vent hose:

The critter had lunch:

I cut out the gas tank connector piece:

My 7/16" fuel line replacement hose:

The completed gas tank end:

Replacement vent hose installed:

The gas tank end (best photo I could get...):

I haven't filled up yet, I'll do that tomorrow. Gotta go grill the steaks now and have a CRB*.

Thanks,
Mark

*Cold Refreshing Beverage

3/23/17 - Well, I filled up yesterday and although no leaks could be seen, I've still got a very strong gas smell. Gonna have to install the gas tank reseal kit I purchased recently.

Last edited by Mark Lewalski on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I installed my gowesty bigger brake kit and hub conversion kit. Well. Actually I had a competent mechanic do the install. I figure the bigger brakes would be a good idea since I'm Converting to a tdi. Never a bad idea to increase the stopping power. I'm bringing the van up this weekend to Foreign Auto and Supply in Maine to do a tdi install and a rebuilt transmission with limited slip. They are also going to install a Eberspacher diesel heater. I've been in their queue for almost a year and I can't wait. Hoping everything goes well. I haven't heard a bad word about these guys and was really impressed when I went up there to meet he guys and check out the shop. They seem to run a class operation. Hope to get the van back end of April in time for camping season.
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished up my clutch/rear main job tonight. Fingers crossed everything holds.

Now to try to see if my radiator fan works. Never have heard it turn on, though it hasnt been above 50 since Ive driven it.
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Dropped by to visit B.O.B. at Sentry Body and Painting where the kitchen wall rust repair is underway. Typical rust along the outside seam and more hidden along the floor behind the cabinets.
The body man had already cut out the cancerous pieces and was fashioning a new floor piece from the old body panel. Brilliant! This is just the test fit. It will fill the space and be welded to the inside of the replacement panel (from Bus Depot) along the fake seam.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 445, 446, 447 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 446 of 631

Jump to: