Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 446, 447, 448 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpelloux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Put some new seats (from Dodge Grand Caravan).
Just use a bracket adapter, and it was an easy install.
Even comes with the armrest (but not as coomfy as the orginal ones).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tpelloux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I had to change the front heater fan.
Fortunately, the heater core was in good shape (after some cleaning).
The dash removal is pretty strait forward (but for the security screws) if you follow the instructions on the forum or on youtube.
I found out that someone has established his nest in the heater box Smile

madworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

tpelloux wrote:
Put some new seats (from Dodge Grand Caravan).
Just use a bracket adapter, and it was an easy install.
Even comes with the armrest (but not as coomfy as the orginal ones).

These are the stow and go from the middle or back row of the grand caravan? Looks great! From where did you source the adapter? Thanks.
Madworks 1980 Vanagon Westy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672496&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced OG alternator bracket and bolt with Late Model kit from VC.

What a difference it makes in adjusting the belt tension! No more using a huge screwdriver to wedge the alternator over.

Mark
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Removed what may have been the OG O2 sensor, with the help of some PB Blaster applied to a hot exhaust *koff* *koff*

Took delivery of a new Rev E ECU for the TiiCo ("this time, it will work™") which is why I needed the new 4 wire O2 sensor. All the rest of the parts are in hand so now I just have to figure out how the whole thing goes together.

Some trimming will be required here…

Drilled out the crummy fasteners that came with my ABS hatch panel so I could paint it. I'll want something different/better before I reinstall it and replace the slider panel that is also awaiting paint.

Messed up my hatch latch which was also why I needed to remove that panel. I closed it with the key inserted and bent the receiver so the key couldn't be turned and somehow got the inner workings all out of sync. Resolved now.

Tested my solar panel with the fridge turned on. Nothing burst into flames. Panel just lays on the roof with the power cables plugged into the new PowerPort where the old fridge flue was.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jamo7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got the tranny out. (Probable 3/4 hub break.) Two or three night shifts (after the kids go to bed) plus about three hours today and it's out!

Now I have to box it and ship to GTA.
I have CV repacking and ShowaBraun's dash rewire on deck while I await my rebuild.
At least spring is coming! I was getting tired of laying on my back in the puddles and dark and cold this winter.
Many thanks to all of you offering tranny rebuild and removal advice. This hobby wouldn't be possible for me without you.
James
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Removed and cleaned the headlamps on the westy and fixed the non-functiong windshield washer on the syncro. Fixing the WS washer involved removing the tank & checking the pump. With the tank off I emptied it & found a lot of solid gunk in it…a blue/green slime that looked like fragments of congealed washer fluid so the tank got cleaned out but that wasn't the problem. Tested the pump but it wouldn't come on so removed it and hooked it to a 12v source and it purred into action. So next checked the wiring and no juice..checked the fuse & it was fine but no voltage at the pump connector. Turned out the switch was not making contact so sprayed it down with contact cleaner followed by a spray electrical lube and that did the trick. Put everything back together, filtered the fluid and put it back in the tank and the washer works like new now.
87 Syncro GL
Chestercopperpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished electrical.

Upper power panel

AUX fuse panel, solar controller
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Played 'lunch-break-mechanic' again today. Still attempting to sort out the choppy acceleration issue. Today's 30 minutes were dedicated to replacement cap, rotor, and plug wires.

No Joy. (now do I take the new ones back off and put them back in the box for when I do need "new" set? Or, just keep the old ones in the 'weren't necessarily a problem' pile)

Grr, maybe the timing has buggered off. The symptoms developed over about 1000 miles of grocery getting. Can't imagine timing has been buggered, but maybe.

Last weeks I had the chance to borrow a known good AFM. Not the issue.

Next, Grind the grounds and test the ohms? Fuel pressure? Vacuum leaks? Plugs again (only 2K on them now)? Yet another Fuel filter? Swap in spare Fuel Pump? Hall sender? Ugh!

And, yes, all this on the 2.1 WBX that will be history as soon as I get the few hundred left to put into the Subi swap piggy bank. (getting really close now Smile

Huh, funny how I just remembered I should check the air filter... derp

Other symptoms seem to be initial idle RPM of about 1200, and about 1800 when warmed up. Full throttle acceleration is choppy to about 3500 RPM then smooths out, easy acceleration is smooth bottom to top (maybe 3/4 throttle).
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vac leaks, grounds and any exhaust leaks (even a pinhole).
hard to find vac leaks are the injector seals, the 4 braided rubber intake runner joiners. the odd shaped seal under the T-body.

make sure your Tbody switches are operating/adjusted properly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Dan,

Good stuff, thanks!!

Reminds me that after I resealed my heads, the exhaust studs seemed to gradually ease out. When I got my rig out of the garage today, it did seem to be popping a bit like it was again loosened up. Oh, and I am not differentiating stud vs bolt... I mixed them up and have not sorted out which type goes in which hole as of yet. BUT, I do know that they thread in a long way each, so I am inclined to try just a tiny bit of loctite. I am quite leery of having the effect be snapping the heads or nuts off later tho. I wish those pesky Germans had engineered a mechanical holder for the nuts/bolts when tight, keeping them from easing back out on their own over time.

Thanks Dan!
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added an extra relay for the fuel pump, located above and just behind the pump. The relay coil has +ve power from the original fuel pump feed, and the coil is grounded via a long wire underneath, up through the front, and to a well-concealed kill-switch. Easily put back to square one if the relay fails- unlikely as that might be!

I'd love to show you where I put the kill-switch, but then I'd have to kill you all... Wink
dbirtch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Gave up storage space, for reserve capacity!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Bobby, I use stage8 fasteners for my turbo that likes to back out bolts.
https://www.stage8.com/

you can make a DIY locking tab with a piece of heavy galvanized strap.
cut a length about 1in long drill the M8 hole in the center. put it between the bolt/nut and the washer. then bend one side up tight to grab the nut/bolt and the other side down to grab/interfere on the head..

but my turbo heat cycling meant I went with race grade retainers.
expensive is relative to when/where the inconvenience occurs. on a vacation I'd gladly pay $100 for a quiet rattle free exhaust. and loose nuts will wallow out the threads forever not getting tight enough till the torque strips what remains of the threads.

bobbyblack wrote:
Dan,

Good stuff, thanks!!

Reminds me that after I resealed my heads, the exhaust studs seemed to gradually ease out. When I got my rig out of the garage today, it did seem to be popping a bit like it was again loosened up. Oh, and I am not differentiating stud vs bolt... I mixed them up and have not sorted out which type goes in which hole as of yet. BUT, I do know that they thread in a long way each, so I am inclined to try just a tiny bit of loctite. I am quite leery of having the effect be snapping the heads or nuts off later tho. I wish those pesky Germans had engineered a mechanical holder for the nuts/bolts when tight, keeping them from easing back out on their own over time.

Thanks Dan!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

you can make a DIY locking tab with a piece of heavy galvanized strap.

Beautiful! That looks just like the ticket!

I will do that ASAP. For today's lunchbreak-mechanic hour, I gut under Floss and did find 7 out of 8 loose enough to be problematic. One of them was more loose than I had imagined. Obvious black exhaust leak streak by that one. I had enough time to fit 2 new studs with a dab of blue loctite at the very outer edge of where the thread would seat when fully tightened. The others were bolts which I will be changing over to studs even though that is not the original design. I hope to re-kindle my youth using the copper nuts as I did on the air-cooled stuff I built in the 80's.

Anyway, the obvious exhaust leak noise is gone, until the 90 deg tail pipe which is rotted in the corner. It is after the cat and muffler, so I can't imagine it causing the issue, but I do have the replacement ready on the bench. I hope I can get after the rotted bolt ends with the dremmel after work tonight, and get the OxAc torch on the flange to free the bolts and put on the replacement. OR DRILL Sad UGH

Anyway, the tightening of the exhaust nuts/bolts was not the fix to the issue. Tomorrow I should see the new fuel filter and spark plugs in my in-basket by about 10Am. I will visually inspect the air filter, maybe give it a blast of air. OR order a replacement if bad.

I ran over to a local shop and picked up a vacuum gauge. I would like to invest in a mechanics stethoscope thing to see if I can hear any leaks. I haven't seen those on the shelves since the early '90's, but I know I can get them in the mail.

I also should try the spare OX sensor I have, but I fear breaking the old one off trying to remove it. I gotta get ready for that tho, it'll make a stinking mess putting on penetrant, but I guess it will have to happen eventually anyway. (If not for me, at least for the next poor soul to inherit this engine when my transplant happens)

Thanks Dan, and all those that have put effort into the threads on the rough acceleration and choppy engine issues.

Oh, just wanted to add, this rig came with the VW Vanagon Syndrom cable. I have taken it out to test, and it acts the same either way. I may eventually try the tantalum fix, perhaps the VW cable has failed.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

lunch break mechanic strikes out again.

Got the back side of the rusted bolts off with dremmel and hack saw. Got OxAc and heated flange red hot. Seemed like the bolts were coming out, but then as they got easy, they just fell off from breakage instead of having loosened by the threads Sad

So, here is what I have to drill out to fix now...

vanadom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
ripped out the old, yellowed, cracking window trim. Looks better now.

When you remove the trip, water can't collect and rust it out right? It's just a gap for the trim?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Drill bits from Fastenal worked wonders, and then chisel-picked out the threads in order to mount this 'heavy duty' tail pipe. Its just lipstick on a pig, but hey, it only took 2 hours! Now, when I get a few extra lengths of shop-vac hose I can put it over this and draw the exhaust fumes outside while I look for whatever else is causing mayhem! I just don;t do well working outside in the rain in 37F weather.

AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I pulled my calipers and spread a coat of anti-squeal jelly on the backs of my pads. Very quiet braking now. BUT for some reason, my brakes lost pressure. I'll be bleeding tomorrow.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Id like to pull that yellow cracking window trim. Did anyone ring in? Is that a bad idea for some reason.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 446, 447, 448 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 447 of 631

Jump to: