Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 452, 453, 454 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added the "are the batteries connected?" LED to my BlueSeas ACR, in hopes of tracking down when the house battery is allowed to run down while underway. Solar panel charges both through the ACR but for some reason alternator power doesn't get shared. Now when they are connected it will glow solid and when one is locked out (low voltage) it will flash.

[rant] That LED ought to be standard on the ACR with the terminal to add a remote indicator left in place. Cost me something like $3 at my local marine supply store for a pigtailed and blister-packed LED that wouldn't add a dollar to the cost of the ACR. [/rant]

I also inverted the ACR since I had a hard time seeing the terminals at the bottom and had to remove it to connect that LED. I may return it to its old orientation later.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Added the "are the batteries connected?" LED to my BlueSeas ACR, in hopes of tracking down when the house battery is allowed to run down while underway. Solar panel charges both through the ACR but for some reason alternator power doesn't get shared. Now when they are connected it will glow solid and when one is locked out (low voltage) it will flash.

[rant] That LED ought to be standard on the ACR with the terminal to add a remote indicator left in place. Cost me something like $3 at my local marine supply store for a pigtailed and blister-packed LED that wouldn't add a dollar to the cost of the ACR. [/rant]

I also inverted the ACR since I had a hard time seeing the terminals at the bottom and had to remove it to connect that LED. I may return it to its old orientation later.

Nice. Where'd you route/mount the indicator? Been thinking of adding a LED to mine.

Not sure I agree with wishing they'd included the LED though — too many possible variables in setup (eg. installation distance of the LED from the relay, color choice of LED, mount requirements for the specific installation, etc.). ultimately, LEDS and wire are cheap!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Penetrol, the second application to the poptop over the years. That part is not difficult but scrubbing the grunge off first is very tedious and time consuming, and working from a ladder is always fun. The roof will come off for painting when we do the new canvas and gasket.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

timichango wrote:

Nice. Where'd you route/mount the indicator? Been thinking of adding a LED to mine.

Not sure I agree with wishing they'd included the LED though — too many possible variables in setup (eg. installation distance of the LED from the relay, color choice of LED, mount requirements for the specific installation, etc.). ultimately, LEDS and wire are cheap!

I mean an LED as part of the ACR, in the casing.

I just left it sitting on the ACR. After a few too many instances where the aux battery discharged while driving, I want to quickly verify the ACR is functioning. I could see it putting by the charge controller (on the front of the bench) and someday adding voltmeters as well.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Changed my oil and filter.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
D78Q85V87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I BROKE IT!! I have had problems with the windshield wipers not staying where they are supposed to so I investigated the problem today. Turns out the driver's side windshield pivot shaft is stripped and I must replace it here because it's kinda an important part of the vehicle. Could really use some help with this new found project...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I got my guy up on a lift for some DEEP work.
Follow the action here
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

D78Q85V87 wrote:
I BROKE IT!! I have had problems with the windshield wipers not staying where they are supposed to so I investigated the problem today. Turns out the driver's side windshield pivot shaft is stripped and I must replace it here because it's kinda an important part of the vehicle. Could really use some help with this new found project...

Just the splines that mate the arm to the spindle? Or the threads??
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:

I mean an LED as part of the ACR, in the casing.

Weird. Mine (model 7610) has a green indicator LED in-built in the label area of the ACR — also visible through a small port in the snap-on protection cover. Hard to see off-angle, but visible enough if you need to check it.

The LED terminal just gives the option to wire in a remote LED that mimics the inbuilt one, in case you need to monitor it from a different position in the vehicle.

Paulbeard wrote:

I just left it sitting on the ACR. After a few too many instances where the aux battery discharged while driving, I want to quickly verify the ACR is functioning. I could see it putting by the charge controller (on the front of the bench) and someday adding voltmeters as well.

I just wired a blue seas OLED voltmeter to my setup (which is all under the sink), to monitor the house battery bank. I used a 1 1/8" hole saw to put a hole in the metal trim plate on the front of the stove (removed that panel first), and installed it there, to the right of that plate near the fore bulkhead (ie. to the far right from the stove controls). Drilled a wire routing hole straight down in there that runs the wires down to my distribution panel.

I keep meaning to install a meter for the starter battery as well, but so far its been unnecessary — and I can always manually wire a jumper cable from the house battery bank if it ever goes pear-shaped and I can't start up.
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Bit of an amalgam of the past week, but I:

• Got the fridge running on propane for the first time since we bought the van in 2012!!! Used the bicycle-pump-into-drain-port method to purge that line and the burn box with air, and figured out that the instructions inside the fridge are misleading. They state that the propane shutoff on the fridge should be open (correct) and the thermostat should be all the way down at zero (incorrect!!!). Setting the 'stat at 10 o'clock, purging the box via the bike pump, and then thumbing the propane button = instant ignition. Tested the fridge with an IR thermometer after about two hours, and the fins were at -3°C, and seemed to be dropping. Even more tellingly, it effectively chilled a delicious pint-bottle of microbrew in about an hour. It's like christmas in June... a whole new dimension of our camper just opened up Smile

• Installed a new float sensor in our tank. Now have accurate freshwater readings again! Also sanitized the tank and lines. Our water lines have never been changed, and mercifully they're still pliable, and clear as day throughout their length, and water tastes great. I guess our protocol of seasonal sanitation in there is doing the trick.

• Pulled out our DRL relays, and in the process solved a weird ghost power issue that's been present for as long as we've owned the van.

• Rebuilt the subaru vacuum actuator for the cruise control

• Rebuilt the aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, and redid all of the in-bay fuel plumbing.

• Drilled a second 'Mullendore port' adjacent the first one I did years ago, to facilitate periodic fan bearing lubrication. In the past I'd only used PB blaster, which obviously didn't give great service life (6 months and more squeaking), but this time I was able to precisely drip some aerosol white lithium grease directly onto the end bearing, via a funnel and hose arrangement, and I'm expecting better longevity out of it due to that product depositing more lubricant solids (and PTFE). The new port is only 4mm diameter, to assist in it acting as a bit of an aiming brace for the stiff irrigation hose I used to convey the lube to the bearing. Plugged the original hole with a plug I made up using a plastic door-card fastener to which I added a custom rubber gasket, made from an innertube. Snug as a bug.

• Finished re-fusing my recently rebuilt custom house electrical installation using a Blue Sea MRBF fuse block attached to our Fullriver FT560 battery. The battery has the same form-factor as an Odyssey 1200, and installed on its side, with the terminals facing the front of the van, the MRBF fuse block can be installed upside-down, which presents the fuse and post for the battery connections off to the side of the battery, facing the back of the van. Makes for a really clean, really tidy installation. And I'm much more confident in this fuse arrangement than I was with the inline AGU fuseholder I was previously using, which secured the wires with a set screw arrangement, instead of crimped/bolted ring terminals. Bit more spendy than other protection fuse block options, but to my mind, it's a good place to put that money for the peace of mind it offers.

• Refurbished the glovebox/map light on the dash: I hated its propensity to cause a short and/or fall out of the dash when hitting moderate bumps, so I pulled it out, and ran heatshrink adhesive over all of the hot conductive surfaces on the unit, except precisely where the bulb makes its connection. Also crazy-glued a short length of zip-tie to the outer edge of the tensioned plastic prong that's supposed to hold it in place in the dash — now there's a more defined ridge preventing it from migrating out of the dash unintentionally.

• Jiggled my cluster foil circuit around, and resolved an issue with the headlight indicator LED only working intermittently. Seems A-OK now. Eventually I'll replace the foil with the newer PCB options, but for the moment, all is well with stock.

• Contemplated fixes for the rattley auto-shifter thumb button — still contemplating. No elegant solutions have come to mind yet, sadly.

• Added a thin, dense butyl rubber donut between the rear tabletop mounting plate and the table arm, in order to decrease friction wear between those two components. Works well.

• Fashioned a carpet cover for the top of the cluster cover to add traction for stuff on the dash, and protect the cover from UV.

• Treated all of my door/hatch gaskets with honey goo. Now they're all shiny and supple.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

timichango wrote:

Weird. Mine (model 7610) has a green indicator LED in-built in the label area of the ACR — also visible through a small port in the snap-on protection cover. Hard to see off-angle, but visible enough if you need to check it.

Well, that's…interesting. I also have a 7610 and if it has LEDs, I have never seen them. I have mine mounted so it faces away from me (toward the rear of the van) so I have never seen it straight on and never noticed anything like an LED when I was installing it.

EDIT: apparently there is one, faint and unlabelled. Learning all the time with this stuff…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
timichango wrote:

Well, that's…interesting. I also have a 7610 and if it has LEDs, I have never seen them. I have mine mounted so it faces away from me (toward the rear of the van) so I have never seen it straight on and never noticed anything like an LED when I was installing it.

It's right there in the top/left above the logo on the label Smile Little rectangular (green, when it's on) LED.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Indeed.

That could be a squosh brighter if they wanted it to be noticeable.

And since one of the problems I have been having is getting the batteries to connect, it's easy to see why I never saw this. I just went out to check and they weren't connected. That doesn't like anything at all until it's lit up and even then it looks like a colored design element. I don't regret spending $3 on the external one.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Just one of those days that seems like the Kids are truly involved with my (and now their) Vanagon syndrome (the kind that empties the wallet)

Here is what I asked for: shifter extension:

Installed:

Lookin' good, Flossie!

And here is what else showed up in the driveway !! Parts wagon !!

Great kids, really!!!
thegreenroom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The brown cow got a new floor today, very happy with the end result!

pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I rebuilt the latch assembly on my sliding door. I had a lot of trouble with it not closing reliably last Winter. I had to remove the rear attachment point for the door and swing it out a bit to get access to the large screws holding the latch on. I used the GoWesty replacement spring kit.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
vac leaks, grounds and any exhaust leaks (even a pinhole).
hard to find vac leaks are the injector seals, the 4 braided rubber intake runner joiners. the odd shaped seal under the T-body.

make sure your Tbody switches are operating/adjusted properly.

Dedicated today to the above mentions, thanks Dan.

Got a vac leak found and replaced the 30YO line on that issue. No joy. Took off the AFM and sliced the PO's RTV off and pried off the cover to inspect and clean off the carbon traces. Looked clean inside, and yes, the traces seemed to be (from other pix here) well worn. I did not see any evidence of any POs attempting to move the contact points to create new trace contact. I used electronic contact cleaner and a Q-tip. Put it all back together. No joy.

Watched youtube on how to adjust the Throttle Position Switch. Went to Farm store and bought set of T handle wrenches, only needed the 3mm one, but they only had a pack of 5... More tools, wow what a 'new idea'. Had done a 'before' listen, no click just off idle. Threw me a bit. It did click at near full throttle. Position of the movable point was all the way left. Loosened it, and proceeded to find out that somewhere along the line of POs adjustments, there had been too much torque put on the adjuster, thus the 3mm tool was very loose in the saddle Sad Guessing someone forced a non metric tool into the hole. Thus, probable I need to go spend yet another $15 for the other tool set, Grrrrr!
OR, more likely, they didn't loosen the adjustment location set first, and just cranked the position set instead.

Anyway, long story, but listening as I moved the adjustment through the full range gave no click just off idle. No, or nearly no difference in where the full throttle click happened either.

At least I got to go for a few test drives tho.

I cant move screw #3, the adjustment screw, even when loosening screw #2. The TPS clicks as it should, but I read 1.1 ohm, when the Bently and Digifant books say it should read 0.0 ohms. Should I replace the TPS? Has anyone had success taking the TSP off and cleaning it up to get screw 3 to move?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

erikgundy98 wrote:

I cant move screw #3, the adjustment screw, even when loosening screw #2. The TPS clicks as it should, but I read 1.1 ohm, when the Bently and Digifant books say it should read 0.0 ohms. Should I replace the TPS? Has anyone had success taking the TSP off and cleaning it up to get screw 3 to move?

My kids van "Cosmo" just went through TWO Throttle bodies trying to get #3 to move. It was veritable heartbreak for me, as I really needed the spare for mine... So, the GoWesty (I think that is what the kid got) replacement TPS (its their own design as replacement) deal went in for him OK. He had to dremmel off both of the screw heads and remove the old TPS. Looks much better to me, but it's on HIS van instead of mine. We had the idle set to just under 900 in about 2 minutes.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

erikgundy98 wrote:

The "#3" screw is actually a cam in a slot, and turning it using a T-hex changes the distance of the switch roller from the throttle cam. If it's stuck be careful because it is made of papier-mâché, and will not suffer your insults.

It's better to disassemble the TPS module after removing it from the TB and clean that area of it out, maybe knock off the vintage patina with some abrasive paper.

Same goes for the switch contacts: You may find some corrosion inside that is causing the high resistance. Cleaning the contact surfaces should take care of that.

Also, (van-cafe, I think?) has that adjustment cam for the TPS for sale.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

pablum wrote:
erikgundy98 wrote:

The "#3" screw is actually a cam in a slot, and turning it using a T-hex changes the distance of the switch roller from the throttle cam. If it's stuck be careful because it is made of papier-mâché, and will not suffer your insults.

It's better to disassemble the TPS module after removing it from the TB and clean that area of it out, maybe knock off the vintage patina with some abrasive paper.

Same goes for the switch contacts: You may find some corrosion inside that is causing the high resistance. Cleaning the contact surfaces should take care of that.

Also, (van-cafe, I think?) has that adjustment cam for the TPS for sale for people like me that take pliers to papier-mâché.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 452, 453, 454 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 453 of 631

Jump to: