Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 453, 454, 455 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Would this higher resistance cause a rich mixture? I cant remove the temp sensor to time the van- it dies immediately as it is running really rich. Already timed and did a tune up, new O2 sensor etc. Still trying to figure out why rich
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

erikgundy98 wrote:
Would this higher resistance cause a rich mixture? I cant remove the temp sensor to time the van- it dies immediately as it is running really rich. Already timed and did a tune up, new O2 sensor etc. Still trying to figure out why rich

Not the resistance, but if it isn't closing...
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Gotcha!
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Am bumming to see this TPS diagnosis cluttering the What Have You done to Your Van thread instead of having its own topic. Sad

...plus those searching the topics for this issue will miss this good info in the tread.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Put in new vinyl wood floors over the yucky grey rubber flooring. Still need to snug up one of the seems but otherwise easy peasy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally installed the late-model rear hatch latch with the interior release stud that I bought from Van Cafe when we were on a road trip down the coast a few years ago, and dropped in there for some suspension work. I had the hatch panel out to pull the wires and hose for the rear washer, in order to rig up a new grommet/boot between the body and hatch (the old rubber one disintegrated recently), and figured I'd tackle the latch install since I had the panel out.

Super easy install — the hardest part was cleanly cutting clearance in the panel for the latch. I unstapled a short section of the vinyl covering, and slit/peeled it into a broad 'V' in the area I was working, used a keyhole saw to rough in the contour, and then used a rasp and a 1 3/4" grinding wheel on my drill to properly contour the cutout. Then trimmed and tabbed the vinyl, and re-tacked it to the door card with crazy glue. Finished off with some generic door trim strip, which was formed to hug the hole with a bit of heat from a bic lighter, and clamped in place overnight to get its adhesive to set before reinstalling the panel.

I'm happy with it Smile Feel better knowing that we can release the rear hatch in the event of some unforeseen emergency — nevermind just popping it when we wake up for some quick fresh air!
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Built a custom remote control/monitor switch enclosure to control my ACR from behind the driver's seat. Details in this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8479252#8479252
olives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Just got my van back after 3 weeks at the shop:

New Clutch cylinder
new fuel lines
new CV Joints
new head gasket seals
new main seal
new exhaust
New push rod tubes

So stoked right now, it's never run this good. Can't wait to put some miles on him this weekend!
singletrackrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added a new sunshade visor strip - perforated vinyl white on the outside, black on the inside. Works just swell.

'04 Forester XT
'00 4Runner Limited (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Read Kamz's Plenum removal doc 3 times, then attacked. Took a printed copy out to the van and re-read the pertinent bits a couple times as I went along. Got the job done in about 3 hours. Well... Got the plenum out and the shelf and bunk back together afterwords. Still have to fill the channel, move the speaker wire, and design a screen for the blower hole. But it was fun to get this far.

Before I started that tho, since it was a bit rainy early, I slid under the rig and took a good look. Tightened the fuel lines yet again. Tried to figure out the Temp Sensor #1 plug... I've been pondering the reasons behind my temp gauge having slowly gone lower and lower until now it just rests on the bottom like a fish in the dead of winter. I do have an aftermarket temp gauge, so I know its within good range. I got the resistors to test the readout on the stock gauge, but have not figured out how to get the plug off the temp sensor! Instead, I got a crap-ton of coolant down my arm, into my jacket and slopping around on my shop creeper. I ended up just shoving the sensor back into the hole to stop the deluge, and had to go rinse off and change clothes.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Had been sitting on the resistor pack for a while, and after finally figuring out that the Temp Sensor #1 plug actually took extra convincing with a hook/pick to get the locking tabs to let loose, I was able to follow the tests as this article presented:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464113&highlight=temp+gauge

The dash gauge worked exactly correctly. It was indeed the sensor. So, I snatched the one in the 'Double Cheeze' parts rig, and cleaned it up with a scotch bright and a vinegar bath. Made sure the O-ring was in good shape and popped the old one out and replacement in with a minimum of coolant loss. Took a test drive, about 10 miles, and clearly, the dash indicator matched the aftermarket gauge very well. All better!

It was also the first real drive that I could use the AC post Plenum removal. Wow... I sure hope that nothing gets loose in that air-blast, it would certainly smack me in the back of my head - super blasting air vs the Plenum.
Dogberry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

[quote="singletrackrod"]Added a new sunshade visor strip - perforated vinyl white on the outside, black on the inside. Works just swell.
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1658964.jpg[/img][/quote]

May I ask where you sourced that? It looks sweet. My new windshield came without the tint strip.
singletrackrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

My local vinyl wrap shop, it was $2. Watch YouTube and you're set.
'04 Forester XT
'00 4Runner Limited (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

My 84 with the TDI engine.

Installing Dual Mass Flywheel & LUK clutch kit, refurbishing AC system, modified right motor mount bracket, some exhaust work, inspecting all grounds, etc., ....... scattered out over several days....

I am now at the point it's all going back together for another summer road trip to the north!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Rewired my Blueseas ACR and aux battery, after some helpful conversation with timichango of this parish…had to add a new hole and grommet at the firewall to tidy up some wires: too many going through one hole was pushing the grommet out and exposing bare metal against insulation.

Couple of things I learned. The ground connection from the ACR should not go to the chassis ground but to a battery ground. I was having some trouble getting the ACR to combine and charge my house battery. It never seemed to see incoming voltage correctly. That seems to be more reliable now.

And of course, looking at it, based on what I now know, makes me want to tear it all out and redo it…this wire is a little tight, those are too long… :2gunfire: So no pictures…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally got the A/C sorted (with RedTek) - and worked out a cheap and easy method to keep the front cool. Wink The vanes were missing from that side anyway, and the tube goes in the Thule cargo-carrier when not required. It may not look pretty, but when it's 110° outside it'll be a godsend. Smile

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Applause

for Redtek and the innovative ducting system…considering both myself.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Italjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed LED ceiling lights (dimmable)
And a ceiling fan (Computer fan, adjustable)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
wauchop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Here is my AC vent solution. I made a pattern and my wife did the sewing. I installed snaps around the center vent and in the headliner by the front seats. We put only in two slits to accommodate the front seats but two more could be added for the center seats. It works quite well delivering cool air the front without excessive fan noise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wauchop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Oops I'm new at this so will post my own reply to include the photos.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 453, 454, 455 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 454 of 631

Jump to: