Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 454, 455, 456 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

That's clever. You could make and sell a couple of those, I think.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacob.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Rear wheel bearings and re-packed cv joints. Fun job.
pechaaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

VW 2.0 petrol (ADY) + UN1 gearbox
First start.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

pechaaa wrote:
VW 2.0 petrol (ADY) + UN1 gearbox
First start.

Link

Congratulations! Sounds strong. Very Happy Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

wauchop wrote:
Oops I'm new at this so will post my own reply to include the photos.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Neato. While I'm super-pleased at the improved airflow after removing the plenum in my van, I've still been thinking of some kind of duct. The big barrier for me has been what to do with the duct when camping or when it's not needed. You seem to have solved it with a duct that will probably fit in a small stuff sack. Well done.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

x2

Toyed with the idea of flexible dryer duct running up both sides of the van,
but your smaller tuck-away solution is brilliant on many fronts. Congrats!

One for me next...??? Wink

- Dave

PS: Makes me think of:

Laughing

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
eagleeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

hi guys, I don't know if I am in the right forum but I will have a go. I am restoring a type 25 panel Van which I am converting into a tin top camper. I am thinking of doing a full roof upholstery and am finding it difficult to find the grommets for the roof ribs which fir into the van holes. any help would be much appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wauchop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes we just unsnap the front and let the back hang while camping. Off-season it is just folded and tucked in the cupboard. BTW We initially tried attaching with Velcro as I don't like to make extra holes in "Mary Margaret" but stick on Velcro doesn't hold up to summer heat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Landojin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Today (yesterday actually), I fulfilled a dream and brought home my own Vanagon, Westfalia top.

I got him home and hopped underneath to fix an exhaust leak.

Issues:
- bolts and nuts on the connector pipe gaskets were rusted out, barely hanging on
- connector pipe carbon build up from leak around donuts

Repairs:
- ground out bolts and replaced
- filed away connector pipe build up until sitting flush with donuts

Cheers,

Lando
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Welcome…

That O2 sensor looks questionable as well…you have a list already, right?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Landojin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yes, I noticed that as soon as I got under to fix the exhaust leak. I'll be replacing that shortly.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Landojin wrote:
Yes, I noticed that as soon as I got under to fix the exhaust leak. I'll be replacing that shortly.

I thought you might have done…mine was cut off when the engine swap (that ignored such niceties as O2 sensors) was done. I just added it back when I upgraded to an ECU that took that into account.

Looking forward to your tales of discovery…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Landojin wrote:

And new fuel lines too? Congratulations! Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Fixed transaxle seal an packed both CV, now the flipping coolant light is flashing for no reason, trying to figure that out because i recently had to replace a coolant line, bled the system twice an burped. wonder if i got some coolant on the connection an it got gunked
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished installing an Audiovox Cruise Control system on the 87 Syncro. Activated it duing some around town driving and it worked the 1st time for some under 45mph driving. Will know more how it performs on an upcoming trip from Charlotte to Greensboro this weekend.
Tom
87 Syncro GL
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Getting Frank ready for a two week Urlaub in Croatia.
Daytime running lights:

Got the kitchen wired and plumbed:

Installed the porch light:

And painted the uninsulated roof, in hopes of keeping a bit cooler:

We absolutely BAKED at Rock Im Park!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Retrieved the winter tires and wheels that I got from my PO and discovered that they are almost unused, lots of tread but now 12 years old. Continental VancoWinters…if I had recalled how much tread was on them I might have deferred getting the Nexens I had installed two months ago.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Retrieved the winter tires and wheels that I got from my PO and discovered that they are almost unused, lots of tread but now 12 years old. Continental VancoWinters…if I had recalled how much tread was on them I might have deferred getting the Nexens I had installed two months ago.

You don't want to ride around on old tires, trust me. Twice.

This occurrence was a spare that had been in the tray for at least the ten years that I owned the van, and probably for years longer under the PO's tenure. The other did not look as dramatic but was just as thoroughly destroyed.

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yeah, I know 12 years (!) is pushing it but they have been stored in dry darkness and look good. Oh, well. Maybe I'll get the tires taken off and clean and paint the rims for future use.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Remember to reach for the Silver paint at the hardware store instead of the Black paint when you do paint your wheels.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 454, 455, 456 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 455 of 630

Jump to: