Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 455, 456, 457 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Remember to reach for the Silver paint at the hardware store instead of the Black paint when you do paint your wheels.

Think

Not so sure about that…but I'll think on it.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

If you're running stock full circle wheel covers then black is used as a contrast with the silver caps. If running only center caps then silver is the correct color.
In my opinion black wheels just look like something people do to their cars when they just don't care.
As always, do as you please this is just my opinion.
Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I don't have the silver caps and truth be told, I may never run these wheels. The Nexens are M+S as these VancoWinters are so I may just keep the alloys with the Nexens year round. Good to know the lore, all the same.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maz-o
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

broke into it because I locked the keys inside ......... Embarassed

tools needed: metal wire

time: 1 minute
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Scrubbed the roof with dish soap and a soft scotchbrite pad, drove to the car wash for a thorough rinse, then when the sun was lower (but not low enough 😅) I laid on the Penetrol. Went over the top and luggage rack twice, it seemed so thirsty. As was I when I finished. Climbing up and down off the sawhorses is hot work…

Should look good by morning.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
krupe93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Put a TDI engine in it and stripped out the interior to pressure wash out 34 years of dirt

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Whittled up a new guide ring for my shift linkage guide pin. Made from cutting board material. So far so good.
Changed my spark plug wires, finally.
Drove this whip till I ran out of gas. Sad

Need to get that pesky fuel gauge repaired next!!!

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
kipkohl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced header pipes, collector, and J pipe with GW stainless parts. No fitment problems whatsoever. PB blasted all fasteners for a few days prior, and encountered no stripped/broken studs/bolts.
unclebrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Made up a removeable water tank cabinet with electric pump.
Still using a strap to hold it in place, but the red stripe that creates doesn't look too bad.

iulian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I upgraded the tank filler cap to a DTM style one. The old plastic adapter was in a bad shape and the cap lock was soon to be needing a screwdriver to open/close.
The filler cap is Newton Equipment and the adaptors are made from aluminum, purchased them from Germany.
Now I can go racing... other vans Very Happy

16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

On my 378000 K mile Tristar I replaced the high Pressure Power steering hose. I bought the OE replacement hose from My good friends at Van Cafe.
It seemed to be leaking in the center where the noise restrictor is. It was seriously tight at the compression fitting ( I used a small butane torch to get it loose) I also changed over the Cover because the new one does not have it.
The Compression side originally used a 19mm / 17mm Combo and re-install used a 19mm / 21mm Combo.
I've re filled it and and tested it and no more fluid in the driveway. Well on its way to 400K.

Stacy
[/url]
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
table
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added extra brake lights in the fog light sockets.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8509269#8509269
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

finally went back in to re-adjust my rear brakes - about a year ago, i had a panic moment when i noticed i had over-tightened one and the wheel was nearly ready to catch on fire. so i backed the adjuster off way too much, to the point the self-adjuster arm didn't work. :/

i've been checking with an ir thermometer and it seems evenly warm all around. phew! as a precautionary measure, i replaced the ebrake cable too.

now i have brakes that work as soon as i put pressure on the pedal. instead of pumpity pump. and a working ebrake! win win win.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed kenwood speakers to match my tape deck. Now my Run DMC tapes sound tight. Took a long drive out to some high desert last night.
Love the way things are working out.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
OB Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Took it out on my home town dunes today, (Florence, OR). Why do so many leave their big lifted trucks in the staging parking lot...???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMqA2ib3kJo

Peter
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Had the flywheel seal replaced at an out-of-town shop a couple weeks ago. Started the van to drive home and heard alternator bearings making some noise. Got home and immediately ordered a new alternator through AutoZone (total waste of time). Got the new alternator, which had the wrong pulley installed. Long story short, the new A-Z alternator had to be returned. Rolling Eyes Ordered a Bosch rebuilt via AutohausAZ over the weekend, got it Tuesday, prettied-up the old pulley and fan, installed the alternator (along with a new Gates alt belt) Wednesday, fired the van up today and took it for a drive. Finally, no strange noises and no drips! Very Happy

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Autozone Ha ha ha Killing me there. Half the time I need to find my own parts there because the clerk is lost in la la land.

My alternator has been whistling at me for a month now. I would replace it but Ive been driving driving driving. And lovin it.

So what did I do w my van this weekend. Went camping of course. Dancing

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
Autozone Ha ha ha Killing me there. Half the time I need to find my own parts there because the clerk is lost in la la land.

Heck, I don't even walk into a VW dealer without part numbers in hand, let alone a FLAPS-type store. Popcorn

I went with A-Z because of the lifetime warranty. Instead, I've now got a 2-year warranty. Sad On the bright side, I won't be starting a 1500-mile journey in two weeks with funny-sounding alternators (grinding bearings on the "original", squeaking on the A-Z rebuild). Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
schenks13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

kamzcab86- I see a spec of dirt on your engine!

**Edit** My bad. It was on my computer screen.
'94 Jetta
Old Town Tripper 172
Mad River Courier
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

schenks13 wrote:
kamzcab86- I see a spec of dirt on your engine!

**Edit** My bad. It was on my computer screen.

Actually, there is a bunch of dirt up towards the trans I haven't had a chance to clean off yet. Embarassed
2016 Golf GTI S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 455, 456, 457 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 456 of 629

Jump to: