Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 456, 457, 458 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
schenks13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

No one believes you. Wink
'94 Jetta
Old Town Tripper 172
Mad River Courier
ams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

OB Rat wrote:
Took it out on my home town dunes today, (Florence, OR). Why do so many leave their big lifted trucks in the staging parking lot...???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMqA2ib3kJo

Peter

That is awesome! Have you ever taken your van to Michigan? Growing up there, I have vivid memories of people driving all kinds of vehicles on the Lake Michigan dunes, never a Vanagon that I can recall, though.
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Not exactly today but while prepping for a few days up in the NC mountains, I noticed a leak at the water pump pulley. So I replaced the water pump (PITA) and removed the A/C compressor mounting bracket which also required rmoving the intake pipes (more PITA). All went well for the 500+ mile trip.

But I had gotten kind of stuck in the mud on the trip and wanted to check the underside which led to the discovery of a leak at the J-pipe combo flange on the exhaust. Happened to have a couple of appropriate gaskets (from the PO's stash) and fixed that.

I happened to see the thread on the O2 sensor shielding "fix" so, of course, that needed doing as well to perhaps mitigate those damp start issues. Couldn't hurt, right?

After all that, I decided it surely would need the timing adjusted so I dutifully hooked up my timing light to the #2 plug wire. Shocked (Yep, I did that) And in the process of attempting to adjust the now way crazy timing I forgot to tighten the distributor back down and, naturally, the shaft jumped the key. I realized what I had done a bit too late. And...no start.

I didn't know that in my efforts to reset the distributor, the splices on the hall effects wires, up under the wire covering of course, would be compromised. So, quality time on The Samba and with Mr. Bentley, and a new coil and Ignition Control Module later (it did test marginal), still no start.

Finally while attempting to retest the hall sensor, one of the wires came apart in my hand. Aha!. So I fixed them with some new, more weather resistant splices.

Now with everything back together and the distro roughed in, it started right up and I was able to reset the timing (per tencentlife) using the correct plug wire this time. BOB purrs once again! Unfortunately my gas mileage check was screwed up by a 2-mile construction back-up but I know in my heart it is better than it was. Wink

If you are new to Vanagon's, you will find that this kind of cascading fix and break scenario is probably more common than not.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

That's just humorous!

It isn't unlike fixing a simple drip on old galvanized water pipe in a house! Before you know it you've replumbed the entire house with copper!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

In the programming world that is often referred to as yak shaving.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
inoperapineapple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Nothing
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
It isn't unlike fixing a simple drip on old galvanized water pipe in a house! Before you know it you've replumbed the entire house with copper!

Dropping a ring down the drain will occasionally give the same result.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

SIM card arrived so I installed the GPS tracker. Ting.com supports 2G (or more accurately their partners still do so the device came online and was responsive. I set the admin password and the geofence, then installed it in the rig. So many options…

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced the windshield with a new German seal from GoWesty. Used the Gowesty video for reference .It went smoothly once I figured out how to spread and palm the seal onto the glass. Install was a breeze - maybe the KY Jelly I used on the corners. Real slippy.A 101 uses for KY like the wrist seals on my drysuit among others. Laughing
Also fixed a few dents and rust spots on the nose and around the windshield,but my feathering and paint still need work. Also a new antenna after 17 years. Also repaired and painted front and rear bumpers on this job. Paint was a custom match - BMW(436) Mahagoni Met. and Toyota (6M3) Grayish Green Met.-1 for the bumpers.

88 Wolfsburg Carat auto with 02 Subaru 2.5L
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

As my mom says, BlueBird flew out of the nest. I tucked Flossie back into her nice dry hole in the wall. Cosmo the BlueBird got legs: Oil pressure issue seems resolved, exhaust back in place, took a trip to town! Kids seem happy they got the job done. I'm happy I got to put Flossie back in the garage! I got a couple issues to look into before we head south for the eclipse!

Jamo7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

So this story isn't from today, but since we were out camping, I'll tell the story here because it was a cool campground fix.
On our way from Seattle to the lower Umpqua in OR the low coolant light started blinking around 11:00pm. Everyone was asleep and we were finally making good time. It would flicker so I deduced that it was an electrical issue rather than truly no coolant. Nevertheless I was terrified that I was going to break down along I5 in central Oregon every time I saw the little light flicker on and off until we arrived at the campground at 2:00 am.
Wise folks here have said that if something goes wrong, go back to the thing you last fixed. I had confirmed that the coolant level was full and stable on the drive down so after checking the wires at the coolant tank, I looked at the instrument cluster. In the spring I had rewired the instrument cluster a la Showa Braun and since then the fuel gauge had been slow to respond to fill ups and the temperature gauge had been reading a little low. Sure as you know what, when I took out the instrument cluster, all those little nuts were loose! Silly me! Now they're tightened and better than ever.
It was only a 900-mile trip, but everything ran so smoothly- at freeway speed, in the heat, over mountain passes, and through beautiful forest service roads (from Steamboat to Mackenzie Bridge). It's still a delicate antique, but it is becoming more solid little by little.
Happy trails!
James
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

After developing the fabled grinding into 3rd & 4th, yet surviving our entire 500
mile road trip last weekend, I ordered our new transaxle yesterday. Should be
here next week, installed over the weekend & still time for some break-in miles
the following week before heading out to Nebraska to chase the moon.

(IOW...eclipse watching...) Cool

Wish us luck... Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Sold it Sad

Good thing I still have another one. I didn't realize how much I would miss it until the new owner drove away. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into that van in the three years that I have owned it. On the plus side, I can now focus my energy on my Syncro.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished install of new coat hooks & co-integrated "old fart" poptop ladder:

Only ... ̶3̶ ̶ ... no ... ̶4̶ ̶ ... er, ... ̶5̶ ̶ ? ...wait... 6 criteria in mind:
- easier access to top bunk (especially for "older" members & guests... Rolling Eyes Wink )
- super stable/secure (hooks bolted w/rivnuts, wide platform & step)
- small as possible (rests on & completely within footprint of jump seat)
- lightweight (less than 3 pounds with back legs trimmed as shown)
- small (only 2 steps, folds & stows behind bench seat cushion)
- cheap (just $12 from Amazon with cosmetic damage [originally $45])

The 2 hooks are rated for 150# all by themselves; most of the weight rests on
the seat cushion; ladder itself is rated for 250#; velcro straps keep it securely
attached to the hooks so it'll stay in place all day & night w/no surprises... Very Happy

Wife, this month's "eclipse" guests & I are very happy with it! Cool

- Dave

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Clever!
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Fixed a coolant leak on my way to meet the crew for our trip to see Metallica. I was only ten mins late and running cool once again despite loosing a gallon of coolant in the Los Betos parking lot. Rock on.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Washed 2 years of dirt off the Doka today, fixed a head light that lost a adjuster & was flopping around, replaced the speedo & Gas gage lights in the dash pod, all this after getting the NEW TRANY !!! Put in Wednesday, it runs GREAT !!!!!!!! Dancing Dancing Dancing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Scrapped the ANL idea and copied ThankYouJerry...

Out with the wimpy 50A fuse and lower amp relays:

...in with the 50A maxi fuse and higher amp (stock replacement) relays:

Both relays were bought via NAPA during a charity bucket sale. The red one: Turned out to be a genuine VW relay sold as a NAPA brand. Surprised Haven't had a problem with the originals, just doing preventative maintenance.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Nice!

FWIW, my spare 50A fuse (for my 85/early 86 system):

https://www.amazon.com/ANL-Fuse-Audio-Electrical-Protection/dp/B008P7QJGE

Ready for when I need it... Cool

- Dave

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I ordered one of the last skylight screens that member backyard_cnc sold.

It has sat in my garage for months.
I finally installed it and am totally happy with it. Yes, I've read the warping problems with the sunshade but I won't be using that at all. As a bonus it stopped the rattling I had! I used to use a piece of cardboard wedged in, but this screen is way better.

I am debating about laying down a $100 and getting the front window screens.........
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1797668

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 456, 457, 458 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 457 of 630

Jump to: