Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 459, 460, 461 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replace them with these.......

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D4109

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
Replace them with these.......

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D4109

Those look real sweet! Thanks for the hint!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Bobby, those are all installed backwards. the tubes have a slight slope towards the block.. so oil drains.
in that orientation the oil sits against the O-ring seals and well. over time it's going to get by some..

remove them, replace the O-rings and put the larger tube toward the block..

but yeah I like the spring loaded ones better..
bobbyblack wrote:
Played a little game of "how many fingers is Flossie holding behind her back?" as I had been observing a drip on the passenger side push rod tube cover.

I had guessed one, maybe two... wrong! THREE!!!

Contemplating options.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Bobby, those are all installed backwards. the tubes have a slight slope towards the block.. so oil drains.
in that orientation the oil sits against the O-ring seals and well. over time it's going to get by some..

remove them, replace the O-rings and put the larger tube toward the block..

Well, crap! Dan, are you sure? When I was doing that job, I had a guess at perhaps this would come true some day, however I had several clues:

1: the ends of the tubes are different sizes. The seals for each end is different. I had several dozen to play with, as the PO had done this a couple of times, minimum... I was just following suit on what he had in place, really.

2: Following #1, there are actually 2 different styles of tubes in this mix. Obviously I tried to stay with each type within it's group when doing the remove/clean/install on the head reseal, but it has become entirely obvious that I should have ordered the OEM one piece tubes. And, no I am not going through the re-seal again just to put one-piece tubes in, even if that is the "right way" to solve this.

3: These are spring loaded units, they have double o-ring seals, and in fact I went through them all and replaced the o-rings. On another note: these things are extremely sharp. Also, I was clued in by #1, AND the part where installing these the other way proved impossible, as gripping them adequately to shove them into place for expansion via spring after snapping into the holes was quite difficult, there would be no way I could get enough clamping force on the small end to achieve installation in the opposite direction.

I guess it is possible I was using my hands to do these ops, and instead there is a tool. That could explain it. I still can't get past the part where the size of the end/rubber seal are end-for-end different, just like the one piece OEMs.

I am guessing that the issue we are experiencing is that these replacements were offered in the way-back, and did not conform to the well-thought-out, properly designed units that are on the market today. I'd have a guess at a flash-in-the-pan outfit that the PO got a couple sets from in the early '90s which did not heed the engineering principals mentioned above. (maybe JC-Whitney?)

Its also possible that I have mixed all of the info above up with a variety of other engines I have worked on, but I am pretty sure I remember this rebuild fairly well. I also guess it is true that i didn't Mic the ends to be entirely sure they were indeed different. It seemed sort of obvious just by eye, and slipping the replacement end-rubbers on. Which, really, means nothing.

I can give it another try going the other direction. I'm game. I have to pull the rockers, etc anyway, and pull these pesky ones out. Its funny tho, 5 of 8 are clean and dry.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got the Syncro back from the shop in preparation for my summer road trip.
Replaced the heater hoses (way overdue) and bypassed the rear heater. Repaired a couple of minor leaks, drained and replaced the coolant, bled, pressure tested and drive tested for leaks- so far so good. Upon inspection the plastic pipes appear in good condition so expensive replacement is postponed for now. Replaced the radiator deflector baffles.
Checked CVJ bolts and boots, tightened exh. bolts and others. Changed oil and filter and lubed shift linkage.
It's about ready to hit the road, purring like a kitten.

Then the clock died. I'll look into this when I have the instrument panel apart to install LED bulbs.

Ordered GW A/C reinforcement brackets. The rear cover has some alarming cracks. The tubes are kinda shaky too...

UPDATE 9/21:
Installed the A/C brackets. Just in the nick of time! One side had failed completely since I placed the order. 20 bucks well spent.

After some local driving, overflow tank needed only about a pint of coolant- I think system is bled adequately.

Round two on the taillights: (Previous effort was a bust.) Ordered a 4-pack of internet LED running lights, these with 360' as well as rear-facing elements. Maybe brake lights next.

Haven't pulled the dash yet. I hope the dead clock is just a connection problem, otherwise it will get a stick-on.

Summer road trip has been postponed due to scheduling issues w/ my contacts in CO. Looks like it will be an Autumn road trip this year, weather permitting.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"

Last edited by BCE56 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished my skylight screen/Velcro replacement project.

Before:

After:

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed an in-line fuse to protect my fuel pump and digifant injection system from burning up as discussed in this thread......

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Then I took the Van to see some of its friends and ancestors at the All Air Cooled Event in Flanders NJ.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singletrackrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Before

After
New Powerflex bushings at outer RR, steering rack, lower sway bar linkage and lower control arms. New control arm boots, ball joints, hubs and a Big Brake kit.

Looking forward to getting her aligned and then finding a curvy canyon road.
'04 Forester XT
'00 4Runner Limited (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

singletrackrod wrote:

Barum tires on a Vanagon? Last time I saw Barums they were bicycle tubulars about 30 years ago.
singletrackrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yeah, I couldn't find any Clement's or Vittoria's. This is my second set of Barums. They seem to wear pretty wear and carry an XL load rating.
'04 Forester XT
'00 4Runner Limited (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

If you have not already done so, you might want to add some details (size you use, load rating, price, vendor link, etc.--and PIX, don't forget the PIX) about these tires to the existing tire sticky. It always helps to have more information about suitable tires for our beloved vehicles. Thanks!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584507
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Drove my van as the Odometer rolled past 367000 miles. I may have done a few things to it along the way but I can't remember them all.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Converted from the old square style fuel filter to the newer cylindrical style. Used a 1/2 to 3/4" PEX fitting to bridge the different sized hoses. Hoping the cavitation noise goes away.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
yellowjacket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

2 1/2 days of sanding the front end, having the two holes in the windshield frame patched/welded and the front end painted. Installed a new windshield and seal today, after watching GoWesty's video on how to do this. Found it was better for me to start pulling the rope from the bottom instead of from the top as in the video. Put the big tube bumper, lower front grille, antenna and wiper shafts on. Installed Porsche dual nozzle windshield washers and new hoses. Another day or so should have everything back on and ready for a trip to Utah next week.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yesterday I began replacing running light bulbs with LEDs. As both sockets are powered, I had bought a 4-pack. These are marked 8W. I was unable to remove the inboard bulbs (sockets marked 32 CP) so only installed the outboard (8 CP) ones. Tested before reassembly and found neither bulb in the righthand housing worked. Odd, they worked before...
I monkeyed around with it for a while with no success, and retreated flummoxed.
Mixed myself a toddy or two to enhance cogitation as I considered how to proceed. A quick look at schematics reminded me there are two 10 amp fuses for running lights- left and right, front and rear are fused separately.
Finished the last of my toddy and went out for further testing.
Hit the dash switch and sure enough the right front marker did not light.
So. Check the fuse, dummy.
Yep, #7 was fried. Stuck in another fuse which also fried instantly.
Now what? I know there's a short, but where?
Today I tackled it again. I removed the harness from the lamp housing, and replaced the fuse. Aha! Now the front marker worked so I know the short is in the lamp housing. I could see nothing wrong with the outboard socket, no damage or corrosion anywhere.
I had to destroy the inboard bulb to remove it. Inside, rather than a spring contact like all the other sockets, there was just a loose wire with a small brass button terminal. This had apparently shifted, shorting the bulb, and wedging the base.
Success!
I checked the LH housing and found the same type of terminal. These seem to be factory installed rather than jury-rigged. There is some doubt as to whether the inboard lamps are operational on Vanagons delivered to the US. FWIW, my lamp housings are stamped "USA".
Live and learn...

On to the next fiasco!

'86 Syncro tintop

MacDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Upgraded the headlights on my wife’s van. She is a bit night blind and the original square headlights were so inadequate.

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Not exactly today, as it took several blocks of time over a few days. I replaced my starter with a SR0408X starter from Summit Racing and the adapter plate from Karl Mullendore, along with Jay Brown's pigtail to wire it up.

It was a pain to get the old one out, lots of PBlaster and bad language over a few days. It might be the OG starter…

It seemed well-seated.

Finally broke the bottom nut loose on Thursday (after three soakings of PBlaster and a few trials) and got the top one off this morning. Not a lot of good leverage to be had for any of this but eventually persistence furthered.

Had to grind out the new starter ( Crying or Very sad ) to fit the adapter plate and that took some time. But once that was done, it was pretty easy to put in and rewire. I am glad I ordered the pigtail as the OG wire terminal was in rough shape.

Took more time to get that monster Group 41 battery back in the hole, after I stuffed the vents with scrubbies, that it did to get the starter in.

Rolling Eyes

The first test firing was terrifying, the new starter is so powerful. I think it slows to an idle after it catches… Shocked

So all is well, I hope. No more need for percussive maintenance in parking lots or otherwise feeling like I need to re-evaluate my life choices.

If you're gonna do it, I think this way makes the most sense: get the most grunt-y starter you can and refresh that old wiring while you are in there.

EDIT: I just found that I get two years of roadside assistance with this purchase via https://register.roadsideprotect.com/bosch/terms.php If you bought a starter or alternator from Bosh, you might do well to sign up.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Having been given the clue by a Vanagon owner elsewhere, I fitted a small (5A) fuse to bridge across the battery isolator switch. So the clock still runs, and I can use the radio while working on electrics. Any idiocy on my part and the fuse just blows without any damage to any other bits. The bonus is that when used to help theft prevention, any thief won't realise the battery main feed has been switched off until they attempt to start the van - whereupon the van becomes completely dead.

Next up, fitting a 'fake alarm' flashing LED to the kill-switch that's across the fuel pump.
vwpervert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Went to 16" wheels and tires from 14". What a huge change in ride quality and drivability. My Westy, has a Subaru 2.2 conversion and the 16" wheels and tires makes it so much more enjoyable. In my opinion this is a "must" do for this conversion. Wheels are form a 2005 Mercedes Benz C240, 16" 7J 31ET. Got longer rear studs from T3, along with some of his cool wheel caps. The fit is perfect, no rubbing what so ever. Very happy Very Happy

Before 195/75/R14

After 215/65/R16

Before

After

Nokian Rotiiva 215/65/R16

'67 Squareback
'70 Karmann Ghia
'71 Small Poptop Riviera
'90 Westy EJ22
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally got around yesterday to upgrading inst. panel bulbs with white LEDs from GW.
I am very happy with the results. Nice, clean look and they are variable.
I had to proceed with extreme caution due to fragile and brittle condition of everything under the cover.
I also attempted to restore function to the digital clock- hoping it was simply a bad connection, but no dice. Clock appears to be DOA. Ordered a stick-on from the internet...

The bulb on my locker panel had burned out yesterday AM. So I pulled the cover plate, used one of the inst. bulbs and saved the other 3 for future use.
This would have been an easy fix but three of the standoff/mounting tabs for the circuit board were broken (naturally) and repositioning the board was tricky.

Is it my imagination or is every repair on Vanagons an order of magnitude more difficult than expected?
I get a lot of satisfaction from fixing stuff like this. Then I start wondering what will break next.

On to the next fiasco!

'86 Syncro tintop

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 459, 460, 461 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 460 of 630

Jump to: