Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 463, 464, 465 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got the EMPI 46mm hammer-off axle nut tool earlier this week. For once, I let the kid give it the first try. He started on the driver side, I watched from the front seat while I held down the brake pedal. He struggled with it a while until I asked him if there was something else he might like to try. He asked for heat.

I got the heat/cutting torch out and showed him how it worked. He opted for me to do the heating. I patiently worked around the nut for a minute and got it plenty hot, then gave it a few whacks with the tool and spun the nut easily off while he held down the brake pedal Smile

Then, I offered to try first attempt on the passenger side. The tool seems a bit too easy to have slip off. Perhaps one strike per set/reset of the position on the nut. Each strike would have the loop end wander outward a bit, and that was what the first attempt by the kid was keeping him from success, I believe.

Anyway, my method was more akin to a blacksmith where the main strike is followed by a secondary action resulting in a 'clang-ping-ping' sort of sound: hold pressure on the breaker bar and give a good whack down on the strike surface, then tap tap tap the tool back into place on the nut and again strike and tap tap back on, repeat.

Passenger side took maybe 20 or 30 seconds of this strike/tap-to-reset/strike and it was a done deal. Both sides had previously been attempted with the 10 foot pipe over a 1" breaker bar and 1" 46MM socket. (Bought these back in the '80s for doing the axles on a Bay) I could spin the tire (grudgingly) with the kid pushing on the brake pedal with all his weight. Anyway, I bent that breaker bar pretty bad trying. I kind of felt bad, having the bar be straight all this time only to bend it trying this bone-headed move. I would be guessing around #2000 torque, as I think I can generate #200 pressure at the end of the the 10' pipe. As always, the right tool saves time, and frustration... and bending your antique breaker bar... I hope to learn my lessons before the next time I destroy something like that.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Great story, thanks for sharing.
Both you and your son learned a lot and in a way that'll never be forgotten.
If there's one thing I've learned from TK, it's that heat works wonders on stuck fasteners.
Successfully fixing something like that, which would have stumped 95% of the US population, always feels good.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The wheel above that I just put on my van is the same design as the SA steering wheel. The only difference is it's not leather. They came on European Eurovans. I noticed they pop up on UK ebay under T4 steering wheel but there are some other cool looking wheels if you just search Ebay under MK1, like this Jetta wheel below.

There were a couple of these on ebay too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332457701944
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/132429020156 and this one looks neat too.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Sometimes I miss power steering.....
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratrodthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Weekend we install 80L Diesel tank in stainless Steel in Syncro
Next Weekend is finish and make more pics

Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

So yesterday, I FINALLY swapped out my cooling pipes with the Stainless Steel pipes!
Thought I had bled it good enough, but when I got home and shut the van off, I got 5 seconds of bubbling water. Sounded like being inside a bong!
So, it's freezing rain outside today, and I have to finish burping Him so I can take Mrs. WorldTour to the sauna.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jamo7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I wish it was only today that I had accomplished all of this work...
Instead it was over the last month that I did all those things for when the dash is out:
Fixed windshield wipers- new passenger wiper shaft, new wiper shaft grommets, assembly lubed, new intermittent wiper relay.
Fixed front heater box- new foam on all flaps, Jeep resistor, box cleaned out, fan motor lubrication tube.
Sound deadening- CLD tiles behind/under dash and under all front carpet, MLV+foam under front carpet. I followed the SoundDeadenerShowdown.com technique. (The MLV+foam does quiet the cabin a lot. However, applying this stuff is like sewing a suit jacket on the person one panel at at time.)
Wired fog lights, relay and switch.
Wired headlights on buzzer.
Cleaned ground stars.
Made driver's side aux battery box lid close better- I'll post a photo of this super shade-tree hack in another post!
Here's the project 3/4 of the way along.

And here's the payoff.

The front heat is still pretty meager (I think its a rear heater hose constriction issue), and while the front sound deadening is pleasantly noticeable, the wind whistling in the passenger door area is becoming more noticeable too. That's ok. My next projects just presented themselves!
Happy holidays!
James
cbcnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed my Landrover defender mirrors! SWEET upgrade.
Changed out the dash lighting to LED.
Chris
1985 Westy subaru
2000 Eurovan camper.
https://gocampcampervans.com
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Put my NEW Kiddie fire extinguisher in. Yellow Vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Axle rehab/prep for engine swap

Selsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

A lot of quality looking work on this thread.

Yesterday I changed out old spark plug and coil wires and the distributor cap and rotor. Then I went for a smog check and passed with flying colors. So that was nice. Smog guy said it was actually very clean. I new cat was installed like 3 years or so ago so that is the reason. But he also noticed the new wires etc and said that this makes a huge difference. It definitely pulls smoother on the highway. 87 GL btw.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

ratrodthing wrote:
Weekend we install 80L Diesel tank in stainless Steel in Syncro
Next Weekend is finish and make more pics

I'd be interested to see some more pictures of this! Good job of it.

Where did you source or make your tank?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

tigerbus runs those tanks also.
Use translate: http://www.easy2design.de/bla/tigerbus/zusatztanks/

tigerbus wrote:
The aux tanks are from Martin in Germany. He makes some really awesome stuff. I have a few items from him and the quality is exceptional.

http://www.syncro-werkstatt.de/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
tigerbus runs those tanks also.
Use translate: http://www.easy2design.de/bla/tigerbus/zusatztanks/

tigerbus wrote:
The aux tanks are from Martin in Germany. He makes some really awesome stuff. I have a few items from him and the quality is exceptional.

http://www.syncro-werkstatt.de/

Thanks for the info. I thought i had seen them before, but lost the link.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Salt treatment on local roads a couple days ago, so had to drag Cosmo out with a chain, and put Flossie on the floor. I'll need a kid or two to help Cosmo get backed in again.. This was as much as i could do with a chain and block of wood! Nearing install time for ej22 Smile
Perhaps by years end!

ratrodthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Hello
My Tank ist from www.virat-mechanik.de
I have an friend how order for many euros and never becomes something from the other company Rolling Eyes

Last edited by ratrodthing on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8638703#8638703

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Took my aux battery to my FLAPS to be charged after it was drained by
• either my hyperactive GPS locator which was bombarding me with false positives, or
• an aftermarket LED light kit with an RF dimmer receiver that might have been listening for a signal that was never going to come. The remote that came with it wasn't paired with it so they were never going to work.

The locator's sensitivity to vibration has been turned way down and the dimmer has been removed. I'll see if I roll my own lighting and I'll add an on/off switch or force myself to unplug each time.

Also my solar panel was not charging (which would have saved me a lot of bother) because the PowerPole connector wasn't latching here:

I pulled it out (that's a bad sign if comes out that easily) and bent it to look like the unused ones I have on hand and it latched into the connector and to the receiver on the van firmly. The controller showed it was getting power…

Recommendation for an good voltmeter/multimeter so I can see what's goong on more readily are welcome.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westydriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Making things pretty before the swap. High Heat Primer and Dupicolor Red. Planning to hit that 16 Valve with silver leafing pen when finished.
ratrodthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Here a Pic with the Tank
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 463, 464, 465 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 464 of 630

Jump to: