Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 464, 465, 466 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

ratrodthing wrote:
Here a Pic with the Tank
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking worth your time! One of those rock slider bars that mount into the stock jacking points would help protect it I think.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=666403&highlight=das+mule+rock+slider

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Our propane usage is pretty consistent - 1.8 gallons of propane for every seven days. A tank won't last two weeks at that rate. In February we're off to Baja, a three-week-plus trip. So at long last I got around to adding a connection into the propane lines so we can use either a 20lb BBQ tank or 1lb bottles.

I tee'd into the line to the burners, with a ball-valve and a male quick-connect:

The female quick-connect is attached to the hose I use for testing the Dometic fridge when out of the van, this comes with a regulator and the fitting for a BBQ tank. I also bought a BBQ to 1lb bottle adaptor.

Lastly, I added a screw to prevent the ball-valve being nudged accidently. It tucks nicely out of the way beside the kitchen drawer:

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Our propane usage is pretty consistent - 1.8 gallons of propane for every seven days. A tank won't last two weeks at that rate. In February we're off to Baja, a three-week-plus trip. So at long last I got around to adding a connection into the propane lines so we can use either a 20lb BBQ tank or 1lb bottles.

I tee'd into the line to the burners, with a ball-valve and a male quick-connect:

I was just thinking of all the air hoses I've seen over the years using quick disconnects like this and how many leaked.
I would be quadruple checking that for leaking.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
JCTahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally the got the VW to fit under the deck. Now it can snow!

VW's from my past:
72 Bay
79 Campmobile
81 Vanagon
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Put 3 500w halogen shop lights inside van, and let it warm up for 15 minutes. Then removed stock fridge. I've been able to do some work in the unheated garage by using the halogen lights pointed at me, I can last about an hour.

Took fridge to kitchen table and took the flame box apart. All the way this time, including the jet, and burner tube. Found a moth cocoon inside the burner tube. No wonder it wasn't working.

Replaced the fan with a computer muffin.

Took apart one of my gas grills to see if I could test the gas function, but that will have to wait til tomorrow as I ran out of daylight.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced my ignition switch after being momentarily inconvenienced by the old one deciding it had had enough. Not the project I planned for today but the weather was against me doing much else. Need to pop the old switch so I am not starting with a screwdriver.

New non-PS steering arrived so maybe that can be managed, as well as that fuse for the PS wiring that seems to have gotten a lot of attention.

EDIT: removed and replaced the switch and removed and replaced the smaller steering wheel with a non-PS one.

Makes a difference in what I can see. Turning lock to lock is much less work, from what I noticed on my test drive.

Some things I learned:
• you need your key in the barrel to get the switch mount off the column. Slides right off if you do that.
• don't put the horn button on until after you verify the wheel is true. Also might be obvious but maybe not and it will save some aggro if you don't have to R&R that.

Possible unintended side effect: the high beam indicator flashes (but not the lights) when I use the horn but it occured to me I have never used the horn once in the past 2 1/2 years. So maybe it was always like that. I'll see about fixing it some day maybe.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Not just today but over the past couple of days.

Changed gear oil.

Replaced tired old radio with a new simpler one.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Was not today but Sunday I took it to the self-wash. Pointless though they pretreated and dump 3000 gajillion tons of salt and sand all over the roads for the 0.000001 inches of snow we got here in Northern Virginia.

rlbarnes5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

A few days ago...I finally did the 'slider project', including replacing all the bushings & bearings.
WOW! I am truly amazed at the difference in terms of how quiet that door can operate.
This project is definitely worth a few hours and $40[/img]
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6
http://byronsalaskaadventure.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Working under multiple 500 W Halogens in the freezing shop again tonight. Trying to sort out why 3 of the 4 CVs will go back together (fairly) easily, but the 4th is just not even close - after the 4th ball is placed, the whole thing is nearly immobile no way to get #5 or #6 in place. I fear that there was a mixup in the groupings of CV components while the kids were degreasing. This is somewhat unlikely though. I took a pretty close look, noticing that different balls per CV would look more evenly matched to one row than another in the same CV outer, and inner. Also, the cage seems to be differently matched per ball, where some pass easily through one gap, and are 'sticky' going through other gaps. It seems as if each ball must be precisely placed per groove inner/outer+cage at exact right spot. Probable that the previous rebuild had mismatched a couple balls between groups. This is bound to turn out poorly Sad I think there may be 36 permutations of how things can line up, and I haven't figured out a method to try each in succession.

Complications abound, as there are obviously several generations of CVs in the "set" of 4. Enough to drive a person out of their mind. Calling it a night at 11 PM.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Sorry bobby can't help with the cvs, but why not get a forced air heater?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Sorry bobby can't help with the cvs, but why not get a forced air heater?

The space is fairly cavernous, and I really only want to heat myself. So, I just shine the shop lights on me in my black Carhartt's.

As for the CVs... I could actually take the axles to my kitchen table. I thought of that about quitting time last night. I think I am going to have to use a more scientific method to find out if the balls got mixed up while the kids cleaned them, or if the PO had already messed them up from CV to CV and they were already wearing different shoulders in different slots. Hence not being able to just put them back together easily.

My "shop" ::

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

maybe you have the inside race and outside race out of proper orientation

http://www.benplace.com/cv_joint_maintenance.htm

big to little then little to big.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

"Fairly cavernous." Bobby, I remember the pictures you've posted of where you live. I think that's just plain cavernous.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
"Fairly cavernous." Bobby, I remember the pictures you've posted of where you live. I think that's just plain cavernous.

Ya, my dad often got the remarks "you must be rich" before I bought it from him. He'd reply "well, rich in rooms"

And just to think... the 'just plain cavernous" part is only the hole you see my van in, in this pic:

(there's also another basement that is even lower, too.. not to mention the catacombs)

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Wow that's amazing. I would be spooked walking around inside at night.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

1 of the 4 CVs I recently mentioned was a very different unit than the other three. That one was easily reassembled. Indeed, the other three had, indeed become mixed up when the kids cleaned them, and that was ultimately the reason I couldn't get one back together last week. So... this AM, I took the three all back apart and carefully measured and was able to re-unite all the proper bits in their original groupings. All four are now assembled.

Tomorrow, perhaps, axles back in the deep-freeze, CVs in 450 Deg F oven, (the only way to get them back on the axles) and all back together!
getset
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I can finally see!

new Osram 7" led headlilghts and Auxbeam LED spots.

Also replaced a broken signal lens, busted bumper caps, busted widow cranks and my leaky clutch slave which are all wonderful but don't photograph as well

Previous weekend installed a Fantastic Fan in the existing roof opening. Made two aluminum adapter plates and sealed it up. Also finally got the gas ebespacher heater working by installing a small 1 litre scooter gas tank to fill at camp. not ideal, but until I swapped it out for a diesel heater it works great.

Bikes, KTM motorcycles, sailboats, and busted knuckles.
bobblebeauty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Getting the engine bay painted in a Subaru Pearl White that will match the outside before the original 1.9 comes back from a first rebuild at 340,000km

[/img]
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished repairing the leaky exhaust and repaired the blue wire on the alternator to get the van charging again

I had a new cast collector in a box and installed that but needed a J Pipe

got the gaskets at Napa as it tuns out VW part number 855.253.137A cross references to Walker part number 31365.

Thanks to a used J pipe from Vanagonjr the exhaust is back together and quieter than before.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 464, 465, 466 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 465 of 631

Jump to: