Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 466, 467, 468 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Pretty simple thing. Removed the oil soaked, falling apart engine cover insulation and replaced it with "Fat Mat". Cleaned it, sprayed some undercoating, then the Fat Mat was tucked and rolled in place.The cover feels much lighter, I don't notice any issues with sound. We will see how it takes the heat.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

1981 Ed wrote:
New pop top canvas, top seals, decals, screws and paint

Beautiful! Whats next haha?
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Changed the transmission oil @ 30K miles per GoWesty tranny rebuild warranty. Nothing special there, but I ended up having to take it to the shop to get some help with the drain plug (Bobby's for you Atlanta folks). Filler plug was no problem but the drain plug was on like a son of a gun.

It is a 1.9L with 2.1L SS exhaust pipes. The cross pipe is too close to the drain plug to get a breaker bar with the 17mm hex in there. I found a 1/2" threaded bar connector (11/16" hex) cut in half just fits but still couldn't get enough umph on it. Two stout mechanics with a hex headed wrench (didn't know that even existed) and pry bar were finally able to break it loose in the parking lot.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

* It is a 1.9L with 2.1L SS exhaust pipes. The cross pipe is too close to the drain plug to get a breaker bar with the 17mm hex in there. *

This sounds like a discussion in itself.
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The exhaust upgrade was the first thing I did to BOB after I was accepted as Pilot. The J-pipe cracked at the collection end while driving home from purchasing and was not available/out of stock from any of the vendors I was aware of at the time. I have a much longer list now. JB Weld is like magic, but no match for a cracked J-Pipe.

The GoWesty SS pipes seemed like the way to go at the time and to be honest, I've had no regrets. The rest of exhaust system was pretty far gone and the 1.9 J-pipe is different, so I figured replacing the whole thing would be a good idea. I had to wrangle with them a bit to get them in there, but no major issues with fit on the GW rebuilt engine (2.2L on the 1.9L block). I don't remember exactly how the OEM pipes were set, but the #1 crossover pipe now sits about an inch or so from the drain plug and in-line with it so you have no room to work.

Longer story with the ad hoc support system and my first failed efforts to rig something up. (Pro tip: always carry a few metal coat hangers on-board)

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
* It is a 1.9L with 2.1L SS exhaust pipes. The cross pipe is too close to the drain plug to get a breaker bar with the 17mm hex in there. *

This sounds like a discussion in itself.

Yeah, a pic of that would be instructive. It was the fill plug that I found enervating, while others can get to theirs from the wheelwell.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

These are handy in tight spaces. I made the larger one to get the oil drain plug out and the smaller one to adjust front camber. One of these compact items with a combination wrench (and maybe a cheater pipe) can get the job done.

B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I thought someone had already posted a similar issue, but here's the drain plug - exhaust pipe gap. It is a standard GoWesty rebuilt (by PO) 1.9L WBX engine (GW 2.2L version) with a GoWesty rebuilt 4-speed manual transmission and the GoWesty 2.1L SS exhaust system. (Yes, I have siphoned off a fair share of my earnings to Van Cafe and Bus Depot as well)

As you see, there is no room to get the rather long 17mm Allen head socket straight in to the recess on the plug. The fancy socket head worked great for the filler plug, but I was starting to bugger up the drain plug with my makeshift hex key and box end wrench (not shown). I did try Kroil and heat (not together!) and even got the bigger hammer out, but no joy.

So I guess this should really go in the "What did you try to do to your van today and fail?" thread since I finally gave up and sought help. I'm usually not that bright. At the shop they had what looked like a regular large wrench but it had an Allen head on one end (homemade maybe?). They had to use a short pry bar to hold the hex key in the plug while they both pushed/pulled. Lots of grunting involved until it finally broke loose.

WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

What I used was a socket one end and it was connected to a piece of allen, so I used a drill bit to pop out the allen piece from there I put that in the drain plug and used a wrench on the allen piece if that makes sense.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I did the same recently, cut off the allen and used a socket and wrench.

These are from my syncro so slightly different but same problem. Was a workout for sure! Heat helped.

Edit; helpful thread with other suggestions https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692642&highlight=changing+transmission+oil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

86scotty wrote:
wesitarz wrote:
86scotty wrote:
What did I do to my van today..........Hmmm.....Realized that resistance to buying the proper axle nut removal tool is futile. Broke two long breaker ratchets and still didn't get the castle nuts to budge. Gave up for now.

And no, I don't have a torch. Propane did not the trick.

I used a 6-7 foot long cheater pipe on the breaker bar with a socket. One loosened easy,the other one bent the breaker bar. Rusted solid. Broke down and took it to a VW shop. He used a torch and a power socket .Took several tries and about 40 minutes.He only charged me $40.Worth it.IMO.

I did to. Broke the sockets.

Sometimes a little work with a Dremel-style cut-off wheel and then a wedge chisel in the lower notches of the big castillated nut to break it (following some torching and penetrating oil first), can get that nut off. You'll just have to buy a new nut, but hell, waste a nut worth a few bucks rather than buying new tools.
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Did my floors.. love the way it turned out...
[img]

[/img]
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Nice job! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
I drove my Doka up to my wood lot/Bon fire pit & used it as a work bench to fuel/tighten my saw. The trucks running great, almost time for its winter snooze..........
[pic]

It was signed by Tom (aka crucab), with the addition, in bold type: DEPORT MELANIA !
And that was an '07 posting posted on page 2 of this 67 page thread!! So TOM- how did you look ahead a decade?? Time machine? -is it air-cooled or water cooled?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
crukab wrote:
I drove my Doka up to my wood lot/Bon fire pit & used it as a work bench to fuel/tighten my saw. The trucks running great, almost time for its winter snooze..........
[pic]

It was signed by Tom (aka crucab), with the addition, in bold type: DEPORT MELANIA !
And that was an '07 posting posted on page 2 of this 67 page thread!! So TOM- how did you look ahead a decade?? Time machine? -is it air-cooled or water cooled?

A) His post is from 2007; his (overly-long) signature can be changed any time and is subsequently updated in all of his posts.

B) This is a car forum, not a politics forum. Speak to the hand
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

B.O.B.Wanders wrote:

As you see, there is no room to get the rather long 17mm Allen head socket straight in to the recess on the plug. The fancy socket head worked great for the filler plug, but I was starting to bugger up the drain plug with my makeshift hex key and box end wrench (not shown). I did try Kroil and heat (not together!) and even got the bigger hammer out, but no joy.

I had same problem! I have GoWesty exhaust. So I took the drain plug out first. Then I found a nut that would fit in the 17mm head. I then used the nut with a wrench. Luckily I was able to break it without much pressure. Man oh man was it fun hand pumping new fluid into the trans axle underneath the van. My right arm hasn't been that sore since I was 13!

Also. This weekend I finally fixed my loud fuel pump issue. It was due to not having the rubber isolators. I also ran a new 8awg wire from aux battery to a new fuse panel under the sink.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Picked up some rims from a local salvage yard. 16" Mercedes w ten spokes. Just waiting on a lower bj from Gowesty and I will begin assembly. Can't wait to roll 16" wheels and my new refurbished suspension. Gonna be sweeeet!

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Last summer I got myself embarrassingly stuck in the mud out in the woods. Fortunately, Bo and his big ol' truck (with winch) got that sorted out, but ever since I have been working on a viable self recovery kit for minor "stuck" situations just in case.

BOB isn't a Syncro and I normally don't wander too far off road, but we do occasionally find ourselves on some sketchy trails. I figured a come-along and some good straps was really all I needed. But then there is the issue with front recovery points...or rather the lack of them.

I came across a set of recovery hooks on eBay for about 20 bucks and finally put them on today. They are basically 7/8" bar stock flattened on one end and curled over on the other. I'm not sure what they came off of, but they have 2 holes (3" at center) and M10 Class 9.8 x 1.5 bolts. Yes, 9.8. I thought there were only 8.8 and 10.9 classes available, but here they are. (seller's pic below)

They originally had a 1/4" [hardened?] steel backer plate with threaded holes for mounting, but it was a little too wide for the location I chose so I went with some Class 10 washers and nuts. I would like to replace that with a backer plate once I find the right stock. I would love to use the originals, but cutting them to fit the flange width would be a huge challenge. I considered just having them welded on, but I've heard welding on the frame is not a good idea unless you really know what you are doing.

I drilled holes and mounted them on the frame flange just behind where the long side frames and front frame meet. I figured if the flange is a good enough mount point for the mustache bar mounts, it should be strong enough for my purposes. Based on how much of a PITA it was to drill the holes, that is some decent metal. I tried to put the holes as far in to the flange as practical to leave as much metal as possible on the outside. I know the hooks are solid, but I would be more comfortable with some beefy back plates rather than nuts. I don't recall the shear strength for an M10 class 9.8 bolt but it is pretty stout. I may replace them with some standard Class 10.9 bolts anyway.

I looked at a lot of options and settled on this. I know I'll need some padding or something across the bottom of the front frame to prevent fraying the straps, but this is a start. At least the tow truck guys won't try to hook on to the the flimsy outer panels and rip them up any more that they already have. Mad

Passenger side, next to the existing tow loop:

Driver's side, opposite the windshield washer fluid tank:

Front view:

And, of course, safety. I have no way of calculating an accurate working load limit and the last thing I want is heavy steel projectiles flying around. Any advice is welcome.

Cheers!

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

B.O.B.Wanders wrote:

Applause Applause Applause for your plate frame…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Silly, but a first. Got the Westy cleaned up. Going to my first VW club meeing tonight. Should be fun...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 466, 467, 468 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 467 of 630

Jump to: