Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 473, 474, 475 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Went to single round headlights. They are jw speaker dual burn evo 2. I still have to aim them tonight against a store wall. I am pretty pleased. I actually bought the SA grill kit from VC but decided to go with singles. I also got JW speaker round fogs as well that I will put in later. I HATE those grill clips. The install got delayed a few days because I broke some in the process of the install. Also they get hung up sometimes when I try to remove it.

I also put on some trim shine on the lower grill and so I wouldn't have to paint for a little while.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The gowesty bracket is pretty sturdy. But I reached the farthest left limit on the right headlight. So you see a lot more of the bracket than on the driver side. I have a set of early headlight brackets that I may try out later. I also had to hit the mounting tabs with some black spray paint on a q tip because they are highly visible.
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Well that was fun!

Greg

travel pictures:
http://instagram.com/crepeattack/

- the Pastis build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434656&highlight=subaru+diesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I was planning on doing the Westy Lounge kit install yesterday but my Dremel disappeared. I have to find it.

I ended up doing the jack bombay pop top assist install and my yakima ARGs.
Ideally, I would have liked the strut to have been attached to the rear bottom bolt of the ARG. Drilling holes in the pop top and measuring 300 times was the most nerve-racking part. I had to also clearance the yakima hole a bit to accept the jack bombay ball end bolt. A long sleeve shirt would have come in handy for all the little fiberglass particles sticking into my skin but it was way too hot outside.

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

syncrogreg wrote:
Well that was fun!

Greg

It would be nice if the kits you sold included the springs.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Ordered my kit a week or two ago and it came with new springs.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Ordered my kit a week or two ago and it came with new springs.
I ordered my kit about three weeks ago. Rats. Confused
And since the photo on his site doesn't show the springs in the kit I never bothered to contact him.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Flossie parked when it was dry. 3 inches of rain overnight. Daughter #1 gets to remember the hard way about VW's classic Boffins Idea #1:

1 wheel drive.

Daddy to the rescue with a log chain and a Toyota AWD SUV....

Sheesh... I've got to add a 2nd wheel drive soon... After all, a bit more piece of mind would be worth a rebuilt 091 with a TBD, only like $3 or $4K, I think... PowerBall again tomorrow, I guess.

Prologue: home, rinsed, swept out, and drying off. Loaded up to deliver show to a museum show in the AM

Last edited by bobbyblack on Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

lost the interior handle trim screw replacing power lock actuator and getting ready to replace a broken wire. 30 cents at VC ... I wonder if they would send me a cookie just for that? Either way now I feel compelled to buy something else... time for some internet shopping I guess.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Gave it a bath now that pollen season is over and the benefits of washing will be apparent for more than two days. Discovered while scrubbing a headlight that one of the adjusters is broken so I'll use the old "fuel hose and E-clip" trick to fix it.

Here's an earlier fix on the other side.

calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Not so much what i did to it, more what i did with it, I took it to a local car show, popped the top, and enjoyed the show!
Deadvanwalking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

[/img]
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yakima 66" bars and mount came in today.
If anyone was wondering its about 7" on each end sticking out from the mounts. Also, you should get a file and deburr the aluminum loops where the bars go through. The first one I put on the bar scratched up the nice new rubber.

The bars are a little high for my liking. The args were mounted where they were so I could share a bolt with the jack bombay struts. I will run them like this for a while I guess until I can get someone to fab me up some ARGs that are flipped upside down. The 1A mounts should still clear and not touch. Not too worried about getting the skylight vent up. If anyone can fab me up some upside down aluminum args I will pay.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Looking good!

Using the Yakima Sideloader ARG will drop the base of the tower to below the lower bolts, about 1 1/2” - 2”. Perhaps not as much as you hoped? The Sideloader also only mounts with two bolts. I used them for years carrying heavy loads so I don’t believe the four bolts of the Wideloader are needed for carrying capacity or to distribute the load. I think the Sideloader looks better too because there are no exposed carriage bolts.

https://www.rei.com/product/494243/yakima-side-loa...J4EALw_wcB

FWIW, YMMV.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Thanks! Alas I have committed with the 4 holes. I know a lot of people used the thule 2 bolt args as well and had no trouble. Using the jack Bombay kit I used the forward top bolt to keep it as low and back as possible. Going with the sidewinder kit would have saved me from making my own backing plates.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

FINALLY added the missing spacer from my reverse light switch @ the tranny,
so now no more sporadic reverse lights in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear... Rolling Eyes Embarassed Wink

Wash & wax, prep for road trip...see all y'all on the road! Very Happy Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
so now no more sporadic reverse lights in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear... Rolling Eyes Embarassed Wink

- Dave

How can you tell when you have sporadic reverse lights (SRL?)?

I’ve seen a van going 40 mph forward with reverse lights on and I didnt know it was a syndrome. Regardless, I wonder how you can tell if your van has it.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I finally got around to semi-permanently attaching a prop-rod for the decklid.

I think it's a rear hatch strut from an Audi, but I don't recall which one.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
dhaavers wrote:

- Dave

How can you tell when you have sporadic reverse lights (SRL?)?

I’ve seen a van going 40 mph forward with reverse lights on and I didnt know it was a syndrome. Regardless, I wonder how you can tell if your van has it.

Driving at night & looking in my mirrors I noticed road signs reflecting back to me
after I passed them. I could turn my reverse lights on & off just by wiggling the
shifter around while driving forward in 4th (or actually any other) gear... Embarassed

- Dave

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Thanks. Hmmm, SRL syndrome, one more thing to worry about.

Very Happy

Abscate wrote:

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

...Mostly just if you return your core tranny without first removing the spacer to use on your "new" rebuild... Embarassed

- Dave

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 473, 474, 475 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 474 of 630

Jump to: