Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 476, 477, 478 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

porterbrown wrote:
Install new grey plastic door panels.

Did you buy them gray or paint them? I didn't realize GW sold them painted. The only issue I see is the speaker hole which the other vendor I used doesn't score or cut.

I haven't done the doors yet but the others came in black and got painted to match the interior panels. I didn't know they came in other colors. And I agree on the fasteners. I had to remove my rear hatch and ended up drilling out some of them. not sure what to replace them with.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Here's a subtle mod I did today. Hint, it's not something new I added, but rather something I had previously removed and just added back again...albeit, in a slightly different location.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
porterbrown wrote:
Install new grey plastic door panels.

Did you buy them gray or paint them? I didn't realize GW sold them painted. The only issue I see is the speaker hole which the other vendor I used doesn't score or cut.

I haven't done the doors yet but the others came in black and got painted to match the interior panels. I didn't know they came in other colors. And I agree on the fasteners. I had to remove my rear hatch and ended up drilling out some of them. not sure what to replace them with.

I got mine from Werksberg, who sells through the classifieds section. Yep, I had to cut the speaker holes, but it was pretty straight-forward. I did it with a jigsaw. GW also has a how-to vid on youtube.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

porterbrown wrote:

I got mine from Werksberg, who sells through the classifieds section. Yep, I had to cut the speaker holes, but it was pretty straight-forward. I did it with a jigsaw. GW also has a how-to vid on youtube.

Cool, that's who I got the other panels from. Pretty happy with them except for the &^%&^ing fasteners.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got around to grinding the seam off my trailing arm and welding a plate to fit larger tires. Coated with POR-15
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Changed every single fuel line front to back. Minus the small plastic ones between the expansion tanks and the small ones between the tank and expansion tanks. Funny these don’t come with the reseal or replacement kits.
JCTahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I sold my van Crying or Very sad
But glad to know its going to friends who will enjoy it.

VW's from my past:
72 Bay
79 Campmobile
81 Vanagon
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Re-doing all the front suspension that I did 6 years ago (82k miles).

Ball joints, control arm bushings, etc.

Although, I thought I was buying "good stuff" at the time, as it turned out, it was junk. Just because it's a company that got it's start in Germany doesn't mean the parts are made there.

While into this job, as an experimentation, I am going back with the OE style oil based hydraulic shock absorbers! Considering my 84 is a tin-top and much lighter than a Westy, I suspect the hydraulics will be less harsh. Or, am I making a mistake?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:

While into this job, as an experimentation, I am going back with the OE style oil based hydraulic shock absorbers! Considering my 84 is a tin-top and much lighter than a Westy, I suspect the hydraulics will be less harsh. Or, am I making a mistake?

As a person with experience on many VW's and also other brands of cars, when I've gone with "upgrades" from my stock shocks, its NEVER been a positive result. Believe it or not, the OE shocks for your vehicle, if equal in quality, will nearly always be a better experience than any other option. Plenty of folks go with super performance types, and their comments afterwards are that they have not gotten what they hoped, especially in light of what they have spent. On every occasion I have gone back to original, I have asked myself "why did I get those expensive ones in the first place?!?!?"

In general, if you are going to use your vehicle in the usual way, as intended by the manufacturer (as in, drive on usual terrain, roads, etc) going with anything "HD" or more aligned with racing, its just a wast of funds. EVEN on a Westy.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Partially installed an oil pressure gauge. The sender is in, after some difficulty in getting the plug/fitting out and sneaking it past the distributor. I thought I was going to need a tencentlife-designed standoff/adaptor but once I took the terminal nuts off, there was *just* enough room to get it there.

But it isn't working so well. The gauge is showing an optimistic amount of pressure.

On the plus side, it lights up with the light switch and the needle bounces (power on self test) when the key is turned. But as soon as the motor is running, the needle goes all the way. So back it goes.

Shoutout to SummitRacing for postage-paid returns. I'll hope the replacement is more realistic in what it sees. They verified that this sender and gauge are compatible.

And yes, the install is a little unfinished. Not sure where I am going to mount the gauge cup at the moment.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

BobbyBlack, thanks for your input on my shock absorber decision(s). Yes, the replacements are Boge. I believe going back to the OE stuff is the best in my situation for sure.

PaulBeard

I installed several electronic oil pressure sending units on the TDI engine in my 84 Vanagon. None of them lasted over a month due to the vibes of the engine.

So, I used a 24 inch long grease gun hose to install the unit remotely suspended on a spring high above the transmission. Of course a ground wire is required. That solved the dying sending units. The grease gun hose has the same threads, suitable for oil and heat.

Sorry no pics here in the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:

I installed several electronic oil pressure sending units on the TDI engine in my 84 Vanagon. None of them lasted over a month due to the vibes of the engine.

/sigh…I'll look out for that…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I have my VDO oil pressure sending unit mounted to an MB 124 front brake hose, so I think that mitigates the vibration issue. No problems so far.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Last weekend: Waxed the Van. (Well, most of it. The roof will just have to wait....) Used Meguiars Ultimate polish. This is good stuff for new or like-new paint. Goes on and comes off easy, very little elbow grease required.

Recharged the AC w/ DIY 134a. Last recharged about a year ago so I suspect a leak. System is a low-budget, fittings only conversion. It took about a pound of refrigerant and is blowing cold again. Just in the nick of time- it's real hot here now.

Yesterday: Oil and filter change. Castrol Syn Blend was on sale at the FLAPS. While it was on the lift I checked for any problems. UV showed some slight leakage at the AC pressure hose crimp. Everything else looked OK.
Lubed the shift rod where it goes thru the mount bushings. Smoooth.

Almost ready for late summer road trip.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
Make America Vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally got the urge to address my middle floor. Don't know whether I'm going wood or carpet, but, I've set my attention to start on the subfloor. Went to IKEA and found Item 001.602.15; a slatted bed base for a queen size bed. At $50 it's more than a sheet of plywood, but I figure it will be a half day project now with less cutting. There was some warping which is why it's not laying flat in the photo. The previous owner had a wheelchair lift installed and now I'll have to cut the supports and original padding out too.

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re-torqued valve cover [inline 4] Reply with quote

Went out to replace the valve cover gasket on my inline 4 to address some oil seepage and resulting smell. Discovered that the nuts were well out of spec, most of them loose and one almost finger loose. So with the aid of the world's smallest torque wrench I backed them all off and re-torqued them to 70 inch pounds/8nM. I won't really know if that helped, as the oil that had already seeped out will continue to burn off, some on the exhaust manifold shield that I can't reach to wipe off.

The gasket may well be toast. I probably should have gone ahead and R&R'ed the gasket but I waited too late in the day. This is full sun wrenching, not shade-tree.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Started the inside restoration. Its a slow process.

Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bretly wrote:
Started the inside restoration. Its a slow process.

I hear ya! But, it’s worth it and it sure feels nice to see that rusty crap go away and shiny metal take its place! Cool

What are you using to remove the crud? Flap wheel? And what’s your next step? POR-15? That metal looks pretty clean at this point.

Mark
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Stripping disc as it can get all the corners and then a wire brush/wheel to get in the pits or holes and seems. Skipping the POR-15 as I’ve read mixed reviews. Covering it with rust reformer in case any rust is lingering then white auto enamel paint over that. I think that’ll seal it pretty well. Going to look nice, all white shiney and fresh inside!
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I am mostly done with the install of my new Small Car G60 brake kit.

The photo is just a test fitting. There are no pads in there and no hoses connected. I'm waiting for some Burley backing plates to arrive before I wrap it up.

I also replaced a leaking master cylinder and the tank.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 476, 477, 478 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 477 of 630

Jump to: