Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 477, 478, 479 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rty1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

flattened those tumblers sticking out.

rekeyed the sliding door handle. my original handle was missing and the replacement handle obviously didn't match with my key. so i removed the cylinder and dremeled the tumblers flush and it works perfectly.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yet another Heavy Dew morning here in the corn belt. Wipers been giving me gruff, and I had spare set I bough last Fall in garage, so I popped them on. Napa brand, probably not the top dollar ones tho. NO improvement Sad except for a nice 'new wipers squeak' !!

Must be a decent set out there somewhere. Yet another fistfull of dollars I guess.

-bobby
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

Must be a decent set out there somewhere. Yet another fistfull of dollars I guess.

Bosch Icon wipers. Best I've ever used on any vehicle.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Lunch time is coming up. I will see if any of the local places have Bosch Icon's (21" drivers side, 19" passenger side) Thanks!!
bretly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Restoration day 3. Still the floor. But tomorrow this section will be primered then getting painted.

ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

install the snaps to install my carat curtains in my Syncro:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

PO's mud puckered, so I ground it off.. What a mess. I cut it out, welded a patch on and covered it up a bit. Just trying to stop the rot, not trying to make it pretty.

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Got my aftermarket oil pressure gauge working. Turns out I missed/misread the wiring and got caught up in making sure it was grounded. It doesn't need to be grounded as it screws into the oil filter flange and the G terminal is not ground but signal.

Rolling Eyes

The other (WK) is for the low pressure alarm which I will let the OG one manage for me. 60lbs of pressure at startup. I'll see how it looks when it warms up.

Lots of posts here I missed here on wiring up the 12v switched and lighted terminal without cutting/splicing. /sigh. A HOWTO on after market gauges that collects all that would be useful.

Now to decide if I want to swap the gauge cup I bought for the ashtray mount one that T3 sells for now much more. I'd rather have an empty gauge hole than drill into my dash or console cover.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SurfaceRust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I installed a new wood floor for $35
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

finished a bit of touchup paint, and cleaned out under the luggage rack

cant really tell at all from a few feet away

ServantOfElwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Washed the engine. 409, and hot water rinse. Not perfect but a good beginning.

Before

Here we go

After

Yes yes, fuel lines are next!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Met my Home Heating LP company truck at their big holding tank where he tops up his truck in the morning. Said I'd put it up in the air a bit with the ramps I brought, but he declined the offer and just plopped down on the ground and got the fill hook on in 2 seconds, and the bleed open in another. Used his remote control pump start and had the tank full in about 5 seconds, maybe less.

0.4 Gal.

I'm not sure how much was in there, has been little used in all my years. But I wanted to know it was full at some point in my ownership, so today was my luck day.

He mentioned it wasn't worth his time, and asked me how big of a tank it was... told him 3 Gal.

After he handed me the bill and I rounded it up to a dollar, I said I knew it wasn't going to be worth his time regardless if it was almost empty, and handed him a $20 for a tip, which seemed to change his attitude quite nicely.

Question I have is, how would I know if he got it full or not?

He said next time, I should just let it run all the way out. I didn't argue, but I know if I do that, he will have to do a leak test, which is $100
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

0.4 Gal.

...and handed him a $20 for a tip, which seemed to change his attitude quite nicely.

Same thing happened to me. I refilled my tank in 2015 and it needed like .5 gallon. I didn't tip though, i offered but he declined.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Well, I am going to do the same thing next time I get the idea... Like in 3 more years. I would much rather offer a $20 tip, than get a bill for $100 to leak-test a system that was allowed to go empty.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

tha's absurd, I've never heard of a westy propane needing a leak test if it's empty... of course it's empty I used it all.
I've heard many stories of being filled and leaking - past the stem on the vale is common.. then jut needing to let it run out..

putting it on ramps wouldn't be advised. as it may mess up the level where the 80% valve siphons off liquid.. you may get more or you may get less than 80% full (which is FULL) need to leave headroom in the tank for liquid expansion.. else it'll vent at the pressure vent on the back of the output valve.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=591279

bobbyblack wrote:
Met my Home Heating LP company truck at their big holding tank where he tops up his truck in the morning. Said I'd put it up in the air a bit with the ramps I brought, but he declined the offer and just plopped down on the ground and got the fill hook on in 2 seconds, and the bleed open in another. Used his remote control pump start and had the tank full in about 5 seconds, maybe less.

0.4 Gal.

I'm not sure how much was in there, has been little used in all my years. But I wanted to know it was full at some point in my ownership, so today was my luck day.

He mentioned it wasn't worth his time, and asked me how big of a tank it was... told him 3 Gal.

After he handed me the bill and I rounded it up to a dollar, I said I knew it wasn't going to be worth his time regardless if it was almost empty, and handed him a $20 for a tip, which seemed to change his attitude quite nicely.

Question I have is, how would I know if he got it full or not?

He said next time, I should just let it run all the way out. I didn't argue, but I know if I do that, he will have to do a leak test, which is $100

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Install a Propex and you’ll use more propane and be warmer in cold weather. Very Happy

Over the years I’ve had several empty Westy propane tanks filled and was not asked to do a leak test. I typically fill-up where propane is a side-business, not pros like your home propane guy.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

What a day! Yesterday slogging across the scorching plains of central California - pretty much currently purgatory - after leaving Sequoia NP (I think the only place in the Serria’s not currently on fire) we made our way to visit...

GoWesty!

After a scary 114° crossing the valley, the 75° temperatures in Los Osos were a bonus.

Obligatory photo lineup...

Enjoyed their shower offer and parking lot overnight. Cool

Then this morning,

...for the first time in the two years we’ve owned the van, it would not start Shocked

Acting like water in the gas, super rough - painful - start and no idle at all. Thinking perhaps the heat soak then cooler temps overnight condensated everything, decided best to replace distrubutor, rotor and wires (what’s a guys to do with a warehouse of Vanagon parts 20’ away)

Started and would actually idle, but barely - so replaced the plugs as well. Way overdue after inspection, but odd they decided to act up now. That seemed to do the trick. Dumped some Heet in the tank and we headed out - half a day behind schedule, but got to witness the “cleaning of the GoWesty bouncy” apparently quite the chore after Syncrofest Very Happy

Treated the van to a new sticker to celebrate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I finally fixed the A/C after the TDI swap, and it's just such a much needed relief from the heat we've been suffering (it's all relative, of course) here in the PNW. I hate hate hate driving with the windows down, and my PW are currently being serviced, so this latest development is very timely.

It took me quite a while to finally determine why I couldn't get proper A/C function and the pressures just never would play well. I used Occam's funny little razor and determined that because the A/C worked when the WBX was still in there, and the only thing I changed was the dryer and compressor*, then it had to be one of those two things operating as an impediment. Sure enough, a new compressor did the trick. The pressures stabilized and vent temps are chilly...as in, I drove across town and back, and the cool air blowing on the back of my neck gave me a bit of an "ice cream headache".

Not sure how long I can keep it running, as I have the hoses spliced together with barbed stepped sections to mate the Vanagon and Jetta hoses together. I've double clamped those sections, but that's probably not an awesome longterm solution. The good news is that if it leaks out, it's cheap and easy to refill. Propane and isobutane (aka DIY RedTek) aren't expensive or hard to locate. I'll eventually make all new hoses to complete the install, but this is a major milestone for my TDI swap saga.

Next up, fab a mount for the cruise control actuator, and install my PP764 nozzles.

*I also replaced the pressure/temp switch and clutch relay, but the clutch was engaging, so I knew they weren't the issue.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
...new sticker to celebrate...

Damn...looks "surprisingly similar" to what I posted about 5 years back (right down to the font & caps):

Ahhhh, capitalism in the age of internets... Rolling Eyes Laughing Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Wow, what a productive day. I just got done test driving the van after installing the PP764 nozzles, and whoa daddy this thing is an FN rocketship now! Once it gets into boost, you're pushed forcefully into the seatback and it stays there until you let off the throttle. I'm afraid I'm gonna grenade this trans, now. I gotta say that test driving is soooo much nicer with the A/C blasting. I've fallen in love with this van all over again. The EV is way better on the open road, but around town this thing is a total hoot.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 477, 478, 479 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 478 of 629

Jump to: