Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 478, 479, 480 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

- Dave

Our own Kam has an even nicer one:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/jettncab/media...Zw==/?ref=

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Yeah, everything Kam has is nicer...

Embarassed Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Chopped the top on my donor van. Wow, that was a lot of work.

82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Out east no one would part out a van with that little rust on it. Have fun with your pop top conversation. John
Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The van was rolled by the PO. Most panels are at least slightly damaged, but the back got crunched above the driver’s side rear window and to a lesser extent on the passenger side. That is why I am doing the overlap instead of the full roof swap. You are correct in that it is pretty rust free. It certainly could have been fixed, but it would have been a lot of work. Plus the interior was long gone when I got it.

Before cutting:

After cutting out (looking down):

82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I figured it was just the angle we saw it from. I just had to poke a little. In the north east the only thing that wouldn’t be rusty is the windows. John
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed my gauge pod from T3.

An upgrade from this temporary install:

WiselyLuckily I left enough wire to move the gauge without having to do anything other than pull off the terminals, move them, verify what they were (since I don't have the full palette of OG VAG wire, like I've seen elsewhere), and reconnect. A lot easier to install the piece than I expected, as well.

Temp gauge is likely for the other hole, when I source the sender I need. Not a WBX…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
full palette of OG VAG wire, like I've seen elsewhere)…

The main length of wiring harness under the van is something I always save when parting out a van. Very handy.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
Paulbeard wrote:
full palette of OG VAG wire, like I've seen elsewhere)…

The main length of wiring harness under the van is something I always save when parting out a van. Very handy.

yeah, not something I have experienced…yet.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished:

-New Ball joints
-New A-arm bushings
-Rebuilt PS unit
-New OE style shock absorbers (hydraulic oil, SACH)
-Removed and re-sealed fuel tank (seals and hoses)
-Modified fuel level sending unit (from Jetta fuel tank)
(five gallons on a bone dry tank registered 1/4, 10 gallons is a smidge over 1/2 and 12.5 gallons touches full ... no way to make it any better on the top side using the Jetta fuel sending unit. I could never get a Fuel Link Interface to work with the OE fuel level Sender and the Jetta Cluster Gauge.
-Greased CV Joints
-Removed/installed tranny for inspection and checked/set R&P lash (oil change too)
-Refurbished OE coolant pipes
-Installed an in-line fuel pump with push button ON/OFF with operating lite
-Installed a dedicated grounding plate for accessories (they all work better now)
-Coolant flush
-Permanent fix to the aggravating clutch slave bolts
-New brake light switches on the master cylinder
-Installed a new MAP sensor (turbo pressure and intake air temp)

-Front/Rear wheel alignment

And, I'm sure there is something I left off ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Yet another issue with water dripping out of the AC pan onto the bed... Took it a bit further toady with daughter #1 Smile

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

that is my exact look whenever I work on my van.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Perfect time for that fix. Slot the sides of the A/C cabinet so you can slide it up into place once you're ready. First, strap the black drip tray under the condensor and route the hoses left and right. Then you can lift the cabinet into place with minimum hassle. Lots of details on this in A/C threads. The PO did it to my van and I did not realize the monumental significance of it until it was too late for me to take pix.

*edit to copy a post from an older thread about this*

I've only seen the upper cabinet and A/C setup on my '87 Westy and have not seen others up close, and work on my van had been done by the PO's Vanagon guru bro. It seems from what I've heard that the stock drain pan simply rests in the upper cabinet and has to be lifted into place with it. What this guy did was to use flexible perforated metal strap (plumber's tape, I think they call it) to form a cradle to hold this pan properly spaced directly beneath the evaporator so it is fixed in position independent of the cabinet placement. This permits you to place the pan and run the drip hoses, and then when you need to reinstall the upper cabinet you're free from having to worry about the pan at the same time because it is already there and it stays put.

This is critical. He also modified the side panels of the upper cabinet so it does not have holes for the drip hoses to pass through, but slots. Think U instead of O. What this does is let you fasten all hoses to the evaporator and drain pan, then when reinstalling the upper cabinet you simply (!) lift it vertically into position and the slots let it go past the hoses.

Because of what he had done I only needed to unbolt the upper cabinet and lower it slightly onto stacked milk crates and plywood squares, reach inside it to unhook a couple of speaker wires, then drop it the rest of the way. Reinstallation was the reverse, as they say. Sorry, but no pix of these mods since I did not know the significance of them at the time my interior was out for rust inspection and soundproofing.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

FWIW:

Saves having to bother your daughter, infinitely adjustable & it WORKS.

Cool

- Dave

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Just ordered a victron 100/20 smart solar charger and progressive dynamic inverter charger. Finally getting myself to get the aux system set up. All that is left is to decide which battery to get.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

After taking the past 6 years to reluctantly try <almost> every other conceivable option, finally installed
perhaps the last set of window cranks I may ever need:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046VNUX8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Relatively cheap, easily clear my aftermarket speakers & are absolutely solid.

WIN! Cool

- Dave

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Flossie and crew woke up in a beautiful rural Jackson Wyoming location, where Brian and Hannah invited us to driveway camp. Brian had offered a Karma 2.1 wbx, which we loaded as the sun rose! Thanks again Brian, and send our regards to Hannah.

midmo81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Added LED voltage meter and switch for main or house battery select.

rty1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

added a solar shower!

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Picked up the VanCafe Fuel tank reseal + rollover grommets in Ft Collins on the loop out West. Smell was bothering kids, and I was not happy... Anyway, today, besides mowing our yard, grilling up a batch of Brats N Dawgs, a variety of laundering and repacking, My Sweetheart and I dropped the fuel tank, pulled the vapor tanks, DIDN'T break the nipples, and got the reseal done. Also, my son and I did an oil and filter change, kind of a father-son learn-to-do-an-oil-change thing. He's starting to get a notion about how modern car stuff is dumb.

Hey, DHaavers... I'll be in your neighborhood in a few days Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 478, 479, 480 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 479 of 629

Jump to: