Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 480, 481, 482 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westydriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

There's been quite a few folks from here that have helped me get to this point in my conversion and thanks is such an underserving remark. Pretty stoked about this moment. Did this today.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Awesome! Applause Applause Applause

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Tried to take a rest over lunch but couldn't fall asleep. So, since my LED side markers have been riding around with me for a year, I thought, Hey, why don't I put one in to replace the non-working bulb on the driver side. Got my big pot out to sit on to get to work, and it wasn't 10 minutes before Campus Security showed up asking about the suspicious pot... Seriously! Luckily, I am a good friend of the Security team, and they didn't hassle me.
Anyway, 15 minute job, looks better Smile

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ there you go reinforcing the notion that vw bus drivers always have pot Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

westydriver wrote:
There's been quite a few folks from here that have helped me get to this point in my conversion and thanks is such an underserving remark. Pretty stoked about this moment. Did this today.

Congratulations! Super sweet!

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

ursaworks wrote:
installed Lasercut vent cover for deleted A/C plenum

Wowza! What's the material that it's made of? Are you interested in selling a copy of it (raw, I'll finish it)?

Abscate wrote:

porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

replaced the single jet windshield washer nozzle with the triple jet kind. ...A little tricky to get the original nozzles out cleanly, but overall very simple to do.

The body of the new nozzle is a bit smaller so that exposes some paint discoloration. Before I put the new nozzles on I took the opportunity to micro-clean the area under the old nozzle and wax/buff away some of the discoloration.

HUGE difference!

https://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Washer-Nozzle-Re...dpSrc=srch
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Hello - didn't want to start a new topic just for this, so I hope it's okay to post here. Wondering if some kind soul with a stock-ish waterboxer would be nice enough to take a measurement from the top of the throttle cable linkage to the lower part of the firewall above it. I am in the middle of an engine swap and neglected (of course :\ ) to get a measurement before pulling the WBX so that I had a reference point for transaxle bellhousing height when installing the new engine. I realize you can do it by 'feeling' for shifter binding, but I'd really love a double-check on the final installed height before I start building motor mounts. I have searched and searched but can't find any reference to this sort of measurement on the forums. MANY thanks to anyone who might help me!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Sorry to keep you waiting, leecat... Wink

Looks like my stock WBX (2.1/rusty "firewall") clocks in right at 1-3/8" (mm notwithstanding):

Hope this helps...git 'r done & be sure to post your results! Cool

- Dave

leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

THANKS Dave, you're the best!! Smile That helps me out SO very much and now I can build my mounts this evening.

For sure I will post updates - I haven't been very active on the Samba because my '69 TDI is long finished and I just picked up my beautiful (to me, anyway) '84 Vanagon a month or so ago, so I'm really just getting into rebuilding her front-to-back.

Thanks again and know that the help is greatly appreciated indeed!

Lee Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Wowza! What's the material that it's made of? Are you interested in selling a copy of it (raw, I'll finish it)?

Or just share the drawing/file and we can git'r done. That looks good.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OMcComis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Well, have been fightiing "Vanagon Syndrome"since a trip to NC last year. During troubleshooting, discovered thermal sensor ("switch I know now"} was open. Found another on Ebay for 20 bucks brand new and went on. Van misses and sputters and don't run that well till tings heat up. The new Sensor didn't fit, threads too small, so for awhile I just shoved it up under manifold and kept troubleshooting. Now, after eliminating everything else including rebuilding Maf(this helped much), I take another look at this sensor, find it's not made anymore and it's not a "thyristor" type circuit at all but a thermal switch that cycles when it's been @35C for 8 seconds. Replacement was 100-150.00 if you could match. The website tat sold me the 20 dollar one still claims it fits "82 vanagon, I don't believe it.
ursaworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
jimf909 wrote:

Or just share the drawing/file and we can git'r done. That looks good.

Thanks, happy to share the files. The first round was out of cheap 3mm ply, I did one out of bamboo ply and almost kept it but decided to coat with penetrating epoxy and paint, also did one out of plastic.
ursaworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

So last weekends project, not original but useful.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

OMcComis wrote:
The website tat sold me the 20 dollar one still claims it fits "82 vanagon, I don't believe it.

82 diesel, maybe...??? Rolling Eyes

Good luck...

- Dave

PS: What website/vendor, exactly...???

dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

ursaworks wrote:
installed Lasercut vent cover for deleted A/C plenum

i really like this, looks grate Laughing

BiWerks Design, LLC
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

ursaworks wrote:

where did you get the metal inserts? i have a console i will be rebuilding and would like the condensation to say put.

BiWerks Design, LLC
ursaworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
ursaworks wrote:

where did you get the metal inserts? i have a console i will be rebuilding and would like the condensation to say put.

local boating salvage store, could get them on Amazon or ebay for more $ capped the drains on the bottom
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Larval, I have a simular setup, air cooled and post 85 cluster. I do have a full complement of gauges, but would be curious how your oil temp wired to your water temp worked out
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

i have done plenty recently, but as for today, my grandson and I just washed our westy. but that did include tires and rims, and getting the ladder out to do the top!!So better than nothing. FYI at 2 1/2 yrs old, he had a blast!!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 480, 481, 482 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 481 of 629

Jump to: