Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 481, 482, 483 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Start 'em early so they can reseal your tank and install a new canvas when the time comes.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Start 'em early so they can reseal your tank and install a new canvas when the time comes.

Perfect!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally got around to making a 1 lb bottle adapter for my propane tank. I ran out twice this summer and both times I could not find a place to refill the tank in the area I was camping. I have a backpacking stove for cooking if the propane runs out but nothing for the fridge.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think these are great for that purpose - emergency use when you run out at a remote campsite until you can find a place to refill your tank. Mine is homemade but someone sells them in the classifieds for $64 which I think it very reasonable. The parts cost me that much I believe.
aykew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

My Vanagon has a Subaru heart and a Westfalia soul, so I went ahead and smooshed the two together in a sticker. Smile Drawn in inkscape, 3M 1080 film cut on a Cricut.

Last edited by aykew on Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Spent some quailty time reinstalling my Burley shortened oil pan today. Nice to regain 9.5 inches of ground clearance on my 2wd Westy Wolfsburg camper again. My stock pan was rather hammered from some off-road (ahem) contact at Solstice this spring on the Rim Rocker trail ride.

Also FINALLY replaced my Smallcar mild steel header. This thing has been absolutely amazing-installed in 2003 with my original Subie conversion, and other than periodically spraying it with Ospho rust converter it has not needed anything else; no cracks in 15 years/80k miles of driving! It was looking so crusty I couldn’t take it anymore but still solid. If only the stock 1.9 exhaust lasted as long! I installed a Gen 1 Smallcar stainless header which was sitting in my garage for 10 years awaiting today. We’ll see how long it lasts before cracking. I had a support welded on like my mild steel header had and was notably missing from this design ( added back to the Gen 2 header, I noticed) so hoping this delays the inevitable.

Finally, replaced tranny oil, as drain plug is much easier to reach with header off. Swepco 201 80/90 with almost no magnet fuzz at all in 20k miles of hard driving. I’m sold.

Next up is a trip to the California redwoods, then she’s going in for a full body restoration and paint.
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

aykew wrote:
My Vanagon has a Subaru heart and a Westfalia soul, so I went ahead and smooshed the two together in a sticker. Smile Drawn in inkscape, 3M 1080 film cut on a Cricut.

I like it! Very Happy
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smd333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Put licence plates on my first vanagon! 1986 Westfalia Weekender just got the plates yesterday.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

smd333 wrote:
Put licence plates on my first vanagon! 1986 Westfalia Weekender just got the plates yesterday.
Congratulations!
www.thebassspa.com
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

smd333 wrote:

Cool! You should start a thread and/or post some pics.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

smd333 wrote:

Best. Van. Evar...

Welcome to Samba! Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
aykew wrote:

I like it! Very Happy

Well played.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

smd333 wrote:

Me too, 1990 Vanagon GL. despite the rain, I investigated the overheating issue from the drive home and I took out the middle seat as well as some cleaning up and checking things out... the wiring does not appear to be buggered up, so that's a good sign.

out comes the seat, wasn't bolted in!

my garage now has the best couch!

the reason for owning the Vanagon... bed mode activated!

the rear cushion cover was a tad dirty. put it in the washer on gentle cycle with my sports detergent. it cleans just about anything out of fabric.

BiWerks Design, LLC
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

connorsvw2 wrote:
Spent some quailty time reinstalling my Burley shortened oil pan today. Nice to regain 9.5 inches of ground clearance on my 2wd Westy Wolfsburg camper again. My stock pan was rather hammered from some off-road (ahem) contact at Solstice this spring on the Rim Rocker trail ride.

Also FINALLY replaced my Smallcar mild steel header. This thing has been absolutely amazing-installed in 2003 with my original Subie conversion, and other than periodically spraying it with Ospho rust converter it has not needed anything else; no cracks in 15 years/80k miles of driving! It was looking so crusty I couldn’t take it anymore but still solid. If only the stock 1.9 exhaust lasted as long! I installed a Gen 1 Smallcar stainless header which was sitting in my garage for 10 years awaiting today. We’ll see how long it lasts before cracking. I had a support welded on like my mild steel header had and was notably missing from this design ( added back to the Gen 2 header, I noticed) so hoping this delays the inevitable.

Finally, replaced tranny oil, as drain plug is much easier to reach with header off. Swepco 201 80/90 with almost no magnet fuzz at all in 20k miles of hard driving. I’m sold.

Next up is a trip to the California redwoods, then she’s going in for a full body restoration and paint.

Sounds like a good day of work, Connor!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I started with the goal of vac'ing the carpets and inspecting the rear heater. I suspect the valve o-ring is shot and the entire valve should be replaced due to obvious evidence of leaking. That project was interrupted by a massive rain shower so I retreated into the house for dinner.

Once the rain ended I decided to get an hour or so of work done before the sun set. I wanted to listen to some music while puttering about and that led to taking the passenger door apart to trace a broken speaker wire in the rubber housing in the door jam. That took way more time than I figured, but it's fixed.

I chilled out in the back seat for a bit just enjoying being in my Vanagon and listening to some dub reggae on the radio. Very satisfying.

BiWerks Design, LLC
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Kids are Jr's in HS, and today is picture day. Unfortunately, they were at their mother's overnight last, and I didn't get a chance to Pic them with Floss, so instead, here is my own picture day.. Open Doors at the Old Folks (Volks) home Smile

(Then, I drove her to work so I can take my noon nap Smile )

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Prior to retirement I used to nap in mine, amusing numerous co-workers.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Cool!

Cool

- Dave

dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Prior to retirement I used to nap in mine, amusing numerous co-workers.

when i told a co-worker I was buying a Vanagon, his only reply was "you can nap in the parking lot with that"

Very Happy

BiWerks Design, LLC
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ BTDT...

Cool

- Dave

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

not at work, but graduate school? Definitely
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 481, 482, 483 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 482 of 631

Jump to: