Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 483, 484, 485 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
What's the point of having a separate on/off switch?

stereo power bypassing the ignition switch - no key needed to rock the choons.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

You could also just wire the red and yellow power wires to a source directly from the battery to get that feature. I strongly suggest a SPDT switch which allows you to toggle between turning on with the ignition switch and turning on whenever you like...such as when camping or parked for a prolonged period. I recently had to rescue a dead van that had been sitting for a week with the stereo inadvertently left on.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Huh? How does a SPDT switch ensure that the radio is not inadvertently left on and how does that treatment differ than dabaron's treatment.

Missing something here.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The only thing that ensures that a stereo isn't left on inadvertently is letting the ignition switch serve as the 12v source. My point was that if you're given the choice for regular day to day operation, most folks will choose to use the ignition switch as the primary source for stereo operation and the stereo goes dead when the ignition is switched off. A toggle allows the driver to choose, and hopefully not leave it in the "park" position.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Check. Rely on the key to turn off the radio unless you're in camp and then don't fall asleep for a week with the radio on.

The failsafe for a camper is the aux. battery(s), for a non-camper one of those car start batteries or AAA or the local rescue squad.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

My stereo is wired directly, no key necessary to operate it, but the whole thing (head, amps, sub) run on the house battery.

No sweat.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westy709
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I added a 12v outlet to power my aftermarket GPS, my '85 Westy having none. The outlet resides below the fuse box to the left of the steering wheel and takes power from the #11 fuse. Ground goes to a vacant tab on one of the ground stars nearby. This allows the GPS to sit in the lower left corner of the windshield without stringing wires from the lighter socket in the middle of the dash.
smd333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

We've had a bunch of rain lately, and there was a bit of musty smell. When I opened the back hatch a stream of water came out the passenger side holes and when I poked around inside the cushion was damp. I took off the inside panel and had someone sit inside while I sprayed the hose. The Volkswagen logo was letting in a ton of water apparently. I was going to just seal up those two holes where the plastic tabs come through with some silicone caulk and maybe get the wiper fluid nozzle and other areas while I'm at it. Is there a better way, should I treat with some kind of rust protection first maybe? Also in the area of the drain holes where the water poured out there was some rust starting on the passenger side that I can see I have to do something to that. IDK if there is a good thread to read on popping off the panels on all the interior and looking for damage.
NINETEEN85
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Deleted rear windows.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Agna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Chainsaw holder off the spare tire. Never run out of firewood. Never have to turn around due to trees across trail. Run outta gas? Build your own log cabin😁. Just some of the reasons to have a chainsaw with you. Chainsaw- echo 360 top handle limb saw. (Home Depot). Holder material- plastic cutting board sandwiched together with a groove routerd out for the blade.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ Cable or chain to secure in place? Locked?

I'd hate for it to get loose in an accident, or walk off from a parking lot somewhere... Evil or Very Mad

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Agna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I agree. I’ll attach some kind of lock on it.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

What I did for me and my Van today.

After procrastinating for a very long time, I updated/revised all the notes on my TDI conversion. I have everything saved on my laptop with backups.

I printed the revised sheets and repaired the hole-punches in the copied electrical schematics (both ALH engine, ALH Standard equipment and Vanagon pages).

So, now, I have a complete reference manual on my conversion to go along with the Vanagon Bentley.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

"The job is not complete until the paperwork is done."
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Decided that Zoom Bus needed a cleanup!

(The saga)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8891462#8891462

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Today was a ‘light’ day.... Recoded the R/F door handle so my ignition key works it and did the same to the Slider Door.
Primed and painted the R/F door handle as well.
Coded a spare handle and started painting it for the L/F door.
Lubed the Rear Blower Motor bearings, changed out front bumper bolts to ones brand new.
Charged the battery, cleaned the Engine Grounds and the Trans ground cable.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^ All good productive work...Rock on!

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I'm making a custom ignition wire set from scratch and switching to a high performance IGN1 ignition coil. Tired of the lower quality off the shelf wire sets and leaking replacement coils.

I will post pictures when finished up.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished painting Drivers Door Handle, replaced Delco-Remy coil that was leaking oil with new Bosch Coil. Replaced Final Drive Gasket and refilled diff with fluid.
Evacuated and recharged the A/C system. A previous owner had converted to R134a way in the past- System still had 1/2 lb Freon in it, ran vacuum for a while and recharged it. Good Cooling out of the Vents, all 6 speeds of the A/C blower work( High/Low Range Switch and 3 speed selection within that range )

Radiator fan working on Low Speed with A/C as it should( QUIET Fan... man , not annoying at all)... Cool

Wire brushed loose rust and applied Rust Converter everywhere... Razz

Ordered new Front Rotors, bearings and Seals-

Saturday is going to be my big day... Replacing entire exhaust, new O2 sensor , Water Pump, T-stat and Van Cafe Expansion Tank are going in.... Confused
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Oil pressure .3 bar formerly brown now blue replacement came in mail yesterday. Took 2 days, slowest I could get from RMW (no cookie, thank you, can't eat them) via USPS. As advised in 'stupid questions' thread, did not need to drain oil, just replace and go.

So, today, I was able to drive Floss to work again!

I opted to leave the kids' oil pressure gauge kit alone for the time being, as they are still finalizing their Subi conversion, and may find a use for some of it over there. For now, i'm fine with the blinkey light. When I have a spare $175, maybe I will get my own kit.

Ahh, I am SO looking forward to a mid-day nap. Total bonus to the otherwise pleasant drive to work Smile

Of course, found, or rather Smelled, that yet again I will be looking under the rear bench, I just love the sweet smell of coolant in the cabin, don't you? First time I thought it would be nice to kick the blower on back there this fall.. Grrrrrr. Oh well, one of these times I will effect a complete fix or delete.

-bobby
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 483, 484, 485 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 484 of 629

Jump to: