Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 490, 491, 492 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Fixed the cruiser control. Took the two sensors off each peddle, took them apart, cleaned them, checked diaphragm in back (easy...just sucked air out of it and it held) and ran a new hose from it to the pump. EASY and it works like a champ!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finished installing Schwenk springs and new Bilstein XHD shocks on my '87. The ball joints were tight, so I put them back into service. The rear springs are easy to swap. I used an internal spring compressor for the fronts. Made me nervous to compress the springs, but it all worked out. Big brakes go on the front next week after I clean up the backing plates.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jp52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Pulled the dash (again) to install heater and vent ducts, sort out weird stereo wiring from previous owner, fixed cigarette lighter power, etc all in anticipation of the new radio arriving Monday. Hooray for tunes!

Also swept all the mud out of the van from the last few mountain bike rides/dog.

Its making me consider a rubber floor mad rather than something fancier.
cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

removed the propane tank, refrigerator, utility boxes and kitchen cabinet to start my camper utility refresh. Still have to take out the bench seat and water tank cabinet.

Pondering many upgrades while the cabinets are out.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

cellerdoor wrote:
Pondering many upgrades while the cabinets are out.

Slot the holes in the base of the sink cabinet so it will simply slide back into place and not have to be lifted over the propane lines or sink drain during reinstall.

Also, we replaced the hinged door of the closet with twin sliders. Much better access when the wayback is loaded or the bed is occupied.

And we converted the hanging space to more shelves.

We also removed the hinges from the lids of the two cubbies in the low cabinet so that we could access them when the rear table is stowed in the low position. Just lift a lid off to get to the contents. No lifting the table to get into the cubbies.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Love the sliding door mod.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Love the sliding door mod.

Only thing I'd do differently would be to cut the opening lower, maybe flush with the top of the mattress. This would permit better access to the bottom area for bulky items like boots, big coats or computer bag. May still do that.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Removed all ground connections and cleaned them... engine starts much better (ALH 84 Vanagon).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

FINALLY moved into winter storage...with a new $75 Walmart battery...trickle charger...waiting for spring... Crying or Very sad

"Sleep, my little one...my pretty one...sleep." - Tennyson

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
FINALLY moved into winter storage...

NO WAY!!!

get that $179 furnace going, keep it 90deg in the van and go SKIING!!!

(I actually got the $1,500 high-altitude Espar but would have gone $179 if available when I installed mine)

Finished creating the side ski rack.

Dedicated topic here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712654

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
dhaavers wrote:
FINALLY moved into winter storage...

NO WAY!!!

Sadly, yes.

Too much d@mn salt on the roads around here, and too much rust on the van already... Embarassed

We'll continue maintaining the van for non-salty summer road trip fun...& continue to use our
more disposable AWD rig for ski trips...(skinny skiing)... Twisted Evil Cool Wink

- Dave

PS: Nice rack! Smile

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced the AWG8 wire from the starter to my ACR with a premade AWG4 cable from the local marine supply store.

Discovered an oil leak but not the source. Somewhere in the vicinity of the oil filter/heat exchanger and new gauge senders. Evil or Very Mad

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Mounted up the Jack Bombay struts. Followed the instructions exactly and it came out great. My ultimate goal is mounting Thule ARGs. The two-hole bracket kind so I want to "reuse" one of the strut holes. I know someone has done this before but I can't find the thread. I'll use the rear ARG hole with the strut acorn. But, it looks like the ARG bracket and arm itself need to be bored out?? Pics? Linky?
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

The bolt that jack bombays strut uses is bigger so you just have to bore it out as you said. With the thule it will be a little lower so you might need to get a the midlength towers from thule. I went with yakima so I am not 100% sure with thule.

Hardest part for me with the arg was making sure they were in the exact same placement on both sides. Took a lot of measuring.

But if i were to do it all over again I would not have tried so hard to use the same bolt and just placed the arg at a more optimal spot.
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally replaced both the lower and upper oil pressure units....and while I was there, I replaced both belts. Now for the sending unit in the gas tank Shocked
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Reconnected/cleaned up the rest of the wiring I undid when I took the dash out the other week. I have a radio again as well as footwell lighting and other conveniences. Handy grounds are to be found at the screws for the glovebox hinge.

Did some more testing of the solar charging system: full sun, 18V at the panel, 14 at the battery from the charger but at 2 mA. At the panel it's 7 mA so there's nothing happening there. Maybe after the equinox the sun will be strong enough to make a difference.

Now to see how long it takes to wear the battery down after driving around to charge it up.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced my Blau expansion cap. Old one wasnt able to make the horn noise and didnt allow coolant back into the expansion tank once pushed out. New one toots like a trumpet. Works too. No more blinking light every morning or slowly draining expansion tank.

vroom vroom vrooooom!

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I replaced my windshield mister nozzles with dual hole units and aimed them. Fresh wiper blades for winter too.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally got back to working on Hilga with the Holiday Crush now subsided. Replaced the Rear Heater Core tonight with a new core from Van Cafe and finally quieted down the squeaky blower motor along with it. I had lubed the easy to get to rear bearing , but only got the still noisy front bearing on the Rear Blower once I had the assembly out of the Vanagon.
One down, one to go... Rolling Eyes
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: ATF Fluid quieted my suspension sqeeks.. Reply with quote

I got a disposable paint brush and a jar of ATF fluid and painted my suspension bushings. The van squeeked incessantly all the way back from BBTB in Lake Havasu. 4.5 hours. Thank god for head phones. Now, 10 miles after the ATF treatment things are silent. Im not 100% sure we are in the clear but so far so good.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 490, 491, 492 ... 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 491 of 631

Jump to: