Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 491, 492, 493 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

New anti rattle clips on the brakes and rehung the rear curtain w a bungee like cord. Fixed my tail lights so the braked lights and turn signals now work during the day. Night time is another issue Rolling Eyes

One day at a time.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: blinkers not working Reply with quote

Fixed my issue with blinkers. Turns out the front flasher was wired wrong. Corrected the wiring and now my blinkers work while the running lights are on.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: front end clunk and shock bushing not large enough. Reply with quote

Added the three 5/8" washers to the top of my front shocks to stop the clunking. Now the ride is almost silent. Sahweet.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.

Last edited by AZ Landshaper on Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

FOR my van, but won't get TO my van for another couple months...

Finally rigged my quick-connect jumper cable setup for install when new battery goes in...
...(whenever temps consistently get above 32°F...) ...about March or so...???

Also picked up M6x1.0 - 25mm cap head bolts to go with Mercedes front spindle nuts, due
to arrive this week. Everything waits until temps stay above 32°F & can get comfortable
with garage heater running for pre-season prep work... Twisted Evil

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: front end clunk and shock bushing not large enough. Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
Added the three 5/8" washers to the top of my front shocks to stop the clunking. Now the ride is almost silent. Sahweet.

First I've heard of this approach, do you just add them below the bushing? My passenger side shock is going to drive me to day drinking.

Never mind, found the thread. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=330905&highlight=clunking

Thanks!
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I got this idea from a post a while back. They were complaining of passenger side rattle on bad roads and bumps. Mine do this W new KYB shocks. Turns out its a common ailment.
Turns out the KYB shocks come with a bushing thats too stout and doesnt cover the distanced needed to prevent movement. The three grade 8 washers w a 5/8" D are the trick to taking up the space pronto. I still think theres a bushing out there that would be more appropriate but the noise is gone and my need to medicate is a weeeee bit less. LOL

Sorry man, yes below the bushing is what was recommended.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

New speedo cable today. Now when I get pulled over I know its profiling.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Made pop top insulation. More details in this thread

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8988319#8988319

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: vanagon bumper strip clip replacement Reply with quote

Reattached my rear bumper strip today. Used these Toyota clips in leu of the vanagon bumper strip clip which I didn’t have access to.

The Orielly auto parts equivalent.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: vanagon bumper strip clip replacement Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
Reattached my rear bumper strip today. Used these Toyota clips in leu of the vanagon bumper strip clip which I didn’t have access to.

The Orielly auto parts equivalent.

Nice find.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I took apart my hazard switch and cleaned DEOXit'ed it and it works like new again. Hadn't worked for .... the last 15 years lol .

I also fixed my go westy new throttle body throttle switch adjustment. It wasn't triggering the switch at idle reliably. All I did was bend the metal that that holds the throttle stop away from the post to increase the travel back to idle like half a millimeter. This was easier than removing the TB to adjust the actual switch.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Thank the Polar Vortex for keeping me inside. Vanagon parts storage was the plan here. Had three spare front buckets stacked for years and dug them out to note some differences for another thread and decided to build a rolling rack for them before putting them away again. One large Harbor Freight furniture dolly (about $17) and some scrap lumber and this now fits in the same "storage footprint" that the stacked seats did before. Yay!

I try to keep one garage rule for order: if it's not up off the floor, it's on wheels so it can be moved easily.

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced the inadequate ground for the aux battery with a matching AWG4 cable from my FLAPS, bolted down to the seatbelt bolt. Both batteries are operating at less than full charging and I suspect a weak main cable, as noted elsewhere for the main and maybe a poor ground connection for the other. Had both tested and they checked out at 14.4V inbound. Alternator was new when I acquired the van almost 4 years ago.

Degreased/hosed off the oil filter flange to see if I can isolate an oil leak in that area. Dripping off the pan front and back and it looks like it's running down from near the filter. The FLAPS counterman opined it might be a bad seal on the filter which I had been wondering about as well. Not losing a lot but any amount is too much. It's always messy getting the filter off a 50° angled motor…it puts the filter almost horizontal, ensuring some spills.

Ordered two voltage regulators for the console so I can perhaps get a working temp gauge again.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I took the gas tank out to start on the rust repair of the gas tank mounting straps. Apparently the passenger rear shock needs to be removed while doing this. Found out the shock was completely blown. Pulled the drivers side, yep, blown too. But the fun didn't stop there! I went to pull the halfshafts from the trailing arms and found this.

A PO broke an allen key off and decided to leave it there. I think I'm going to try to cut it off with a dremel and try a hex head bolt extractor. If that doesn't work I guess I cut the bolt head off.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

I took the gas tank out to start on the rust repair of the gas tank mounting straps. Apparently the passenger rear shock needs to be removed while doing this. Found out the shock was completely blown. Pulled the drivers side, yep, blown too. But the fun didn't stop there! I went to pull the halfshafts from the trailing arms and found this.

A PO broke an allen key off and decided to leave it there. I think I'm going to try to cut it off with a dremel and try a hex head bolt extractor. If that doesn't work I guess I cut the bolt head off.

consider taking off the spindle....imho, way easier in the long run and you are less likely to screw it up even worse

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

one of these might do it if it can get past the rubber boot.
just lightly tap it on/home before trying.. keep a good constant pressure on the bolt while attempting.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vanis13;

The broken hex bolt won't keep you from getting the boot/CV off if you have the other end of the axle free (which I assume is also equally degraded)

You might even be able to get the axle off that broken bolt if the other 5 bolts are out, and you rotate that broken one to the top, then lift the rear so there is a higher angle of articulation in the axle. You might be able to work the axle around, and slide it off. THEN you could deal with getting the broken bolt out. Even if you can only get a half inch clearance, you might consider a hack saw between the flange and the CV.

If you have access to a welder, after you get the CV off, you could start by welding on a normal 6 point bolt head and see if you can free it. At long last, if you munge the flange badly, there are replacements available.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Well, today at zero-dark-thirty, I had to finish up a batch of laundry so kids could have clothes for the only day of school this week, its been so cold, nearly everything was closed, especially schools. Anyway, since it was 40 degrees warmer, and we've been struggling as a 3 generation family using the only car that would run (actually just let it run overnight a few nights for safety -- can't have NO car in case of need to take someone to ER or such) I decided to give Flossie a try.

She said in a quiet, reserved whisper "nope" ... 3 weeks since I started her, and her batt had gone flat. I sure hope the batt will take a charge. Group 41's are no longer made, so I hear. Plus, I just spent my only flexible $'s for the month on my Ford F-250 battery .. $150 2 days ago. Plowing the drive is a must...
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

She said in a quiet, reserved whisper "nope" ... 3 weeks since I started her, and her batt had gone flat. I sure hope the batt will take a charge. Group 41's are no longer made, so I hear. Plus, I just spent my only flexible $'s for the month on my Ford F-250 battery .. $150 2 days ago. Plowing the drive is a must...

Sorry to hear Sad. I don't think the batteries are being made - but they are still to be found. I checked inventory and the nearest walmart that has group 41's has two in stock for $74 each. I checked stock via brickseek.com - so I would call and ask regarding stock if you want to make that journey.

Walmart Supercenter #750
302 Enterprise Dr
Independence IA 50644
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Hmm, My folks are going through Independence tomorrow....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 491, 492, 493 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 492 of 630

Jump to: